Big Fat Cheap Tyres (& rims?)

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 18:07
ThreadID: 31996 Views:2218 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,
Looking to do some work 'on' the salt lakes in the Goldfields (all permits obtained). We are after the biggest fattest cheapest tyres (& rims) to go on a 79 Series Toyota (might hire one rather than using my work one!) to aid in floatation.

Any ideas for sizes, brands & suppliers (Perth/Kal). As long as they last a couple of weeks we will be happy - won't need to do any road driving.

Your help is much appreciated.

Steve..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 18:31

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 18:31
Good Luck! remember get bogged in the middle of a lake and you are on your own.
Some are firm enough some are firm enough in parts and not others. I have done a fair bit of lake skirtting and one thing I learnt is you gotta be reeel careful and it doesnt matter how careful you are one minute everything is fine and next you are pulling out the winch or hi lift and bog boards. Would never consider driving anywhere else other than the edges
AnswerID: 161992

Follow Up By: Stephen L - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 18:40

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 18:40
Yep - it is going to be a challenge but we will have plenty of support.
You see some pretty wild tyre tracks in the middle of some of these lakes and you wonder if they made it make to high ground. We are trying to do it as smart as we can, if nothing else we should get some pretty good photos!
FollowupID: 416630

Follow Up By: Stephen L - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 18:41

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 18:41
Yep - it is going to be a challenge but we will have plenty of support.
You see some pretty wild tyre tracks in the middle of some of these lakes and you wonder if they made it back to high ground. We are trying to do it as smart as we can, if nothing else we should get some pretty good photos!
FollowupID: 416631

Follow Up By: disco driver - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 00:13

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 00:13
Make sure that your tow set up will reach right to the middle of the lake----- just in case every thing goes pear shaped and you do fall in.

Years ago I spent hours pulling some d@#k head's beach buggy off the salt flat going in to Cossack. He'd taken his missus and baby for a flog on the salt, been bogged for about 3 hours, no food, no water and no shade. I was the 1st one to come along and stop to help.

Good Luck

FollowupID: 416782

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 21:34

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 21:34
Cruising to Norseman I was well impressed with some of the tracks on Lake Cowan- some 500m from dry dirt. Then I noticed 1.5 years later the same tracks are still there just as clear! They must have done it a few years ago a good 6 months after any rains. I have since seen 3 cruisers bogged to the axles on the lake less than 5m from dry dirt, but each was within 4 months of the last rains.
Keep a decent roll of poly pipe around- I have heard of using this as an alternative to 500m worth of snatch straps a few times.

If you dont expect to bog yourself too often, you can get Retread Motorway Mongrel tyres for the ute (only on 15") for $178 trade ex perth- Call them to get their perth supplier name and address. These are well agressive and may help you reverse out of a bog, but wont help you float all that much.
FollowupID: 418025

Reply By: Exploder - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 19:11

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 19:11
LT33*12.5*15 Hancook MT , $200 a tyre or something, try Mr. Mag for some rims or a 4WD wrecker for some 15*9-inch Sunnies.

Might hire one rather than using my work one!, “Ok sir., Would you like the Full insurance coverage on that”?, “S**T Oath I do”. LOL

Just tell em you are going to do some prospecting around Kalgoorlie, that’s what a friend’s old man told Thrifty rentals, and then he took it along the Canning Stock Route LOL.

AnswerID: 161999

Reply By: Ray Bates - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 20:51

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 20:51
The only safe way to travel on those salt lakes is with a hovercraft. I've seen all sorts of vehicle bogged in those lakes including track layers
AnswerID: 162032

Follow Up By: disco driver - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:58

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:58
There is alleged to be a "near new" Cat 12 grader, (or it was, when it fell into the salt bog a good few years ago), somewhere near the middle of Lake Moore in WA.
It was cutting tracks & clearing fence lines for the State Barrier Fence when it "fell" in and was never recovered as the lake flooded shortly after the event and it just disappeared into the bog.

FollowupID: 416779

Sponsored Links