Landrover Defender

Submitted: Monday, Jul 16, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 320 Views:3673 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm due for a new vehicle soon and I have become slightly interested in the Landrover Defender Xtreme with the outback kit.Anybody out there with some first hand experience with them and is the Td5 engine as good as they reckon.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Russell V - Wednesday, Jul 18, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 18, 2001 at 00:00
Mark I've owned a Defender TD4 and they are extremely capable vehicles off road, and in my opinion more so than the Patrols & cruisers getting around. They are not as refined as the others particularly in the comfort dept, but if this is not an issue for you then you'll be getting a very capable vehicle. I've heard the TD5 engine is great (on par with normal sixes)once the bugs are ironed out and with superb fuel economy! Cheers , Russell
AnswerID: 780

Reply By: Brian F Harris - Saturday, Jul 28, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 28, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Mark,..Go Defender..My lady has a TD5 Discovery(had the TDi before that).She does a lot of km and often fairly rapid(always legal of course).Has 80,000 on this one so far,not a problem.A sweeter motor you never heard.Power is magic for that kind of rig.I am looking to get a Defender in early 2002 as I can't hack the "fast glass" & central locking in all the others.I like the practical,simplicity of the Defender,the beam,live axles,coils,very solid build,made for a man I feel.Plus I drove Landrovers for years in the Australian army.We did some"strange"things.They always came back for more.Saw lots of Defs
on our Gulf of Carlenteria trip last week.rgs
Brian F Harris(we also have '79 rangie V8)
AnswerID: 804

Reply By: Alex Hollick - Thursday, Aug 02, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 02, 2001 at 00:00
Go for it. I've had a 1998 Defender with the 300Tdi engine for two years now, and it's been the best 4wd I've ever had.
Apart from the engine and some electric bits like ABS and traction control, it would be identical to the Xtreme you're thinking of getting.
the TD5 is more powerful than the 300Tdi I have, and I understand fuel consumption is even lower.
I'm not a great fan of electronic diesels in the outback, but what else can you get these days?
As an example of the fuel economy, on the highway at 110 I use around 10.8l/100km. With a roofrack fitted and doing
between 100 and 110km/h I use 11.6l/100km. If I turn the aircon on that goes up to 12.5-13l/100km.
On the Canning Stock route (2200km of sand dunes) I used 235L of diesel, giving me a fuel consumption of 10.7l/100km, for a heavily laden
vehicle. Interestingly, the 2 landcruise r60's I was travelling with, both with 4L turbodeisel engines used about 30% more fuel than I did and
had more trouble on the dunes as well.
Cheers, and enjoy whatever you get - if you don't enjoy it, don't get it.
AnswerID: 827

Reply By: Ken Alcock - Thursday, Aug 02, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 02, 2001 at 00:00
Mark,
If want a quiet,smooth, comfortable 4wd like a Cruiser or a Patrol then don't even test drive a Defender.
If on the other hand you want a tough no nonsense 4wd that will take you ANYWHERE in reasonable comfort and with little strain on the driver or vehicle then a Defender may suit you.
I've owned many vehicles but my 2000 Defender Extreme is the best one yet. The TD5 is superb. Its very economical,I crossed the Simpson from Birdsville to Oodnadatta on 1 tankful of diesel.
It's got heaps of power but it's no drag racer off the lights. The torque is unbelievable and the off road ability is superb. They are built like a tank and can take the sort of punishment that would eventually break a Japanese made vehicle.
It's a bit of a pig in tight parking spots but I have comfortably cruised at 130 kmh on long outback trips.
If you're the shy type don't buy one because people are always staring at mine and checking it out when I park in busy shopping centres.
I hope this wil give you some insight form an owners perspective. Feel free to contact me for more details.
Ken.
AnswerID: 829

Follow Up By: Luke Salzmann - Friday, Aug 03, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 03, 2001 at 00:00
ken i was wondering if your defender has the oil leaks that the land rovers are well known for or any problems with the timeing belts or the electrics these problems are quiet common so i have herd

REGARDS LUKE
FollowupID: 243

Reply By: Craig - Saturday, Aug 18, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 18, 2001 at 00:00
I have a 94 300 Tdi which has been brilliant. I have 200,000 km on the clock now and have had no problems. Economy is excellent, sure its a truck but thats suits me in the bush. Check it out at
http://home.iprimus.com.au/scales/4wding.htm
AnswerID: 925

Follow Up By: Nicholas Cohen - Saturday, Sep 01, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Sep 01, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Craig. I have owned six Landrovers. I recently switched to a Landcruiser 100, but have sold it and I'm getting a Defender Extreme. Thee TD5 I owned was the best vehicle I've ever had and I miss it sorely. The clutch on the Extreme is heavy, but otherwise it's a pleasure to drive.John Davis Motorworks do a simple conversion to the chip and the intercooler which boosts power from 90 kw to 173 kw, and torque from 300 Nm to 510 Nm. It costs about $2,700 for both. Go for it!
FollowupID: 288

Sponsored Links