Track Shack Camper Trailer

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 21:22
ThreadID: 32004 Views:7644 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
HI All, a freind is thinking of buying a second hand Track Shack camper Trailer so i am woundering if anyone out there has any comment of them good or bad.
I know they have been around for awhile but never actually seen them off road.
Thanks in advance for those who reply.
Steve West.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 21:55

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 21:55
Do a search and you will find a lot of info on the TS. We have one and think they are great, but thats a family of 5, If it's just you and the missus then I would probably look at something else. They are a very solid well thought out and made camper trailer, and very easy to set up and pack up with loads of room inside. if you have any more questions feel fee to ask.
AnswerID: 162049

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:25

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:25
If you do a search make sure to look up "Trak Shak" You should find plenty of info for your mate then
FollowupID: 416746

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:27

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:27
Steve ,

I have a Hybrid model , and the spelling is Trak Shak .

I have owned mine for three years and it has done a trip to Vic , one to the Pilbara and one to the Daly River, NT plus a few little ones .

I bought it because it had so much storeage , so much room in the tent and it could take my tinnie and motor AND it was beautifully designed and built . I went to three Rosehill camping shows and did a lot of research , before I made my mind up to buy a Trak Shak .

After using it for some time I would say that it is not a good deal for two people as you can't use all the space and I think ( unlike Gajm ) that it is quite an effort to put it up and put it down . There is no way I would put it up for one night , but I use it when I am going to stop for three nights or more . It looks easy at the show - they make it look like a breeze , but IT AINT SO QUICK in reality .

I have never seen a better designed CT , and we have really taken it on some BAD tracks .

Like Gajm , feel free to ask any further questions .

Cheers ,

Willie
AnswerID: 162070

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:00

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:00
Where's your mate?? A friend here on the Gold Coast may be selling his Trak shortly..... it's a good rig.
AnswerID: 162089

Reply By: bucky - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 07:47

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 07:47
G day Steve

Love my Trak Shak !,

I brought it 2nd hand, and recently took it out on its first trip .
We were hit with a very heavy storm and 35 mm of rain, but remained dry inside
I was with the group in the Simpson and was simply amazed as to where it can go
I said to the owner after 4 days ,, if you ever sell it give me a call, the rest is history.
Its also done the Kimberley's, Cape York, and the Simpson Desert ,,
The room in a Trak Shak is incredible, and they are set up in 10 minutes ,,
Great !!!!

Do yourself a favor,, take a broom with you and simply go to the front of the trailer as you are about to pop it open ,, put the broom under the hoops in the middle, lift the hoops up, set the handle in the edge.. this will 1/2 the lift effort

Voila !! the trak Shak will pop like an umbrella

Cheers Mate
Bucky

ps,,, let me know if you got yours

AnswerID: 162125

Follow Up By: Patrolman Pat - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 13:54

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 13:54
Hey Bucky, glad to see you like the Trak Shak, it impressed me on that trip. if you ever sell it give me a call. ; )
FollowupID: 416894

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 09:02

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 09:02
There's one listed for sale on the market page at vks737.on.net...... we looked at the Trak but it was too roomy for two us - great for a family it seems - robust for sure - we went Campomatic - different formula.
AnswerID: 162151

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 09:06

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 09:06
Hi

We bought a second hand Trak Shak Deluxe about 18months ago and love it [purs is abuot 10 yrs old] Have used it heaps, it's easy to set up and put away. Last year we took ours up to the Gulf and back via Birdsville, Innamincka etc, and it handled everything fantasticly. We've taken up to the top of Mt Stirling as well and camped up there, we've had no problems at all.

Al has done a couple of mods to it, and you can read about them on if you click on the rig pic.

They're a great unit, esp for a family.

cheers

Lyn

AnswerID: 162153

Reply By: gbc - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 13:37

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 13:37
My parents have a fairly well modified one and it is built more like a piece of agricultural machinery than any other trailer I've seen.
That's not a derogatory comment either, the thing's bullet proof.

Would recommend something fairly robust to tow them though, because they aren't light.
AnswerID: 162211

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 14:40

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 14:40
Steve,

I bought mine new in 1996 and we love it.

We set it up for single nights all the time, that is what most of our travelling involves and is why we bought the Trak Shak.

To give an idea of set up. Before we leave home swmbo cooks up a pile of something like spag bol and uses the 2 min noodles for the spag. We choose a site and remove the kitchen so that my wife can start cooking tea. I set up the Trak Shak and get the tables and chairs out then rip the top off a beer which I drink while I wait for tea to arrive.

Now it normally takes about 10 min to reheat the bolognaise and cook the spag.

I once set it up in the yard at work. We had left our weekend camp in the rain and I wanted to dry the canvas. Without telling me one of the guys put a stop watch on to see how long it would take. 6 min and I was not in a hurry,

The other great advantage is that you can pack everything into the trailer while the camper is set up. So if it is raining at pack up time everything stays dry.

As for towing, it goes everywhere the car does. If you want more specific information ask I'm happy to answer your questions.

Duncs
AnswerID: 162218

Reply By: brett - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 21:10

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 21:10
I can recommend the broom method for setup, makes it far easier to pull the canvas out. I find setup and pack up are very quick, what takes all the time is packing all your stuff away that you got out and filled the inside with.
AnswerID: 162337

Sponsored Links