Cyclone Larry - finished - I don't think so...

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:27
ThreadID: 32009 Views:3046 Replies:14 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Cyclone Larry - finished - I don't think so...

The people of Innisfail and surrounds, the tablelands, inland from Cairns and my own area of Cairns will be picking up the pieces for years.

Some will be affected for the rest of their lives. How no one was killed is beyond me.

Taking a drive around Cairns as part of my business activities with Health I have noticed much devastation to the trees - just everywhere. The buildings in Cairns were generally ok however quite a bit of downscale damage to property occured.

The worst is as the media stated - south about 50ks and on.

We took a belting in Edmonton (15ks south of Cairns) due to the fact we are so close to the mountains - apparently the westerly cyclonic winds concentrate and bounce off. Quite scarey.... but keep in mind the winds I experienced were probably 100ks less than at the centre of the cyclone.

Innisfail and surrounds copped it big time and many people are desperate down there so If you can help with donations please do - they really need it.

While on the subject the damage to trees is huge and I have noticed that there has not been one word from the GREENIES - enough said...eh but!

Our southern access has been closed to allow the emergency services to get things in place to stop disease, get water, electricity and all those things required for a large community to function however only today I was talking to some gherkinhead who complained about not being able to travel south in his car because he had a booking at a five star motel and he would do his money - well stiff bloody Sh*t. poor darling.

Complain to the people who lost their homes.
Complain to the people who lost their livelyhood.
Complain to the people who have been scarred for life.
Complain to the people who have absolutly nothing.
Complain to the people who are down there working there bums off and being abused by some turkey who is being "incovenienced"
Complain to the people who are volunteering etc.

Had my bitch now,...ok!

On a better note some young fella's here in Cairns just after the blow, picked up their chainsaw and a jerrycan full of fuel and walked from one house to another offering to chop up downed trees for people who were unable to.

Goes to show that most of the younger ones DO CARE and will help when the chips are down well done lads.

To all those who sent messages of encouragement a personal big thanks as I had not been through a Cat 5 before. Cat 3 was my best until Monday morning 20th March 2006.

To all those that sent general messages and prayers a big thank you and it just shows that we Aussies pull together when the chips are down.

We are one - we are many- and from all the lands on earth we come we are Australian ( play National anthem here)... Lump in throat etc..

Seriously thanks people but don't just let that be the end of it - if you can donate to the cyclone appeal please do - the poor buggers south of Cairns really do need it.

I have put a link in this post of a few pics I have taken since 10am Monday morning.
Cyclone Larry Pics

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member No 1- Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:31

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:31
firstly..its graet to hear from you..i will now digest the rest
AnswerID: 162072

Reply By: Jimbo - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:40

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:40
Crazy,

Having lived up there I know how it hits. The rain may continue for weeks. Back in 1990 we had 27 days straight rain in Townsville after the Cyclone went through Home Hill. It will have a bigger impact on Innisfail which naturally is the highest rainfall place in Australia.

I'm afraid I won't be donating; I gave at "The Office" (the Tax Office).

It's up to Johnny and Peter to finance this. We're not a "Third World" Country. If our State and Federal Goverments can't deal with this they shouldn't be there.

Good Luck,

Jim.
AnswerID: 162079

Follow Up By: PK Eildon (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:58

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:58
I hear where your coming from, but my view is

Government = infrastructure
Community = people

They are part of our Australian Community therefore we have a personal stake whether we live in Qld or not.

Governments are not good at the caring sharing local personal dealings, unless you'd like to donate further to uncle peter to pay for them to do that too
FollowupID: 416761

Follow Up By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 00:33

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 00:33
Jimbo....

Brownsville - 27 days of rain straight !!!! Oh my goodness.....

"Innisfail which naturally is the highest rainfall place in Australia. "

Australian Geography
The lowest annual rainfall occurs at Lake Eyre in South Australia, with an annual mean precipitation of about 100mm.
The highest annual rainfall occurs at Tully in Queensland, with an annual mean precipitation of 4400mm.

Tully my man...Tully - get your facts straight before posting - Gumboot capital of Australia for your info - not having a go...

Also was here in Cairns for AIVU in 1989 not 1990 which I guess you are talking about... Friends affected in T'ville etc so know what it was about also...

The entire Queensland coastline is open to tropical cyclones. Generally the more stronger destructive cyclones cross the Queensland coast between Cooktown and Rockhampton. The coast between Townsville and Mackay is particularly at risk because of its more NW - SE direction.

The last destructive cyclone to cross the Queensland coast was Cyclone Aivu in April 1989 which crossed the coast south of Townsville near the towns of Ayr and Home Hill. Winds were close to 200 km/h ( 125 mph ).

The wind off LARRY was in the region of 300km/h at INNISFAIL so you would not know and also it is the first CAT 5 to hit QLD...

3 February, 1990. CYCLONE NANCY. Crossed near Byron Bay in NSW. 73 knot winds recorded near Brisbane. Flash flooding in Queensland and NSW caused 4 deaths and costs reached $36 million.

19 March, 1990. CYCLONE IVOR. Passed the coast near Princess Charlotte Bay with some damage in Coen. As a monsoon moved south to cause extensive flooding at Yeppoon.

22-25 December, 1990. CYCLONE JOY. Travelled past Cairns to weaken in intensity crossing at Townsville. 97 knot wind gusts recorded. Structural damage south of Cairns. Induced tornado hit Mackay damaging buildings and causing floods. 6 lives lost. Cost $62 million (1990 value).

Also if you are going to post make sure your facts are correct...

Now SPARE A THOUGHT FOR THOSE IN TROUBLE...

As far as the tax bit goes I probably support your views.

Sorry for getting a bit touchy but I am dealing with some of the fallout within my job description...

FollowupID: 416785

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:01

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:01
The Peter I am talking about is Beattie, not the "Hyena fom Higgins".

Crazy, my facts from memory were near enough to correct for my liking. Tully and Innisfail are about shouting distance apart and have very similar rainfall. There was a rumour back about 1990 that after the old Postmaster at Tully died, and someone else tookover monitoring the rain guage it was found that Innisfail actually had higher rainfall than Tully.

It was thought the old Postmaster liked Tully being famous and was finessing the figures.
FollowupID: 416806

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:48

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 22:48
Glad to hear you're OK Crazy Dog. Like MN1, I need to digest your post etc.

Regards
AnswerID: 162083

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:03

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2006 at 23:03
Good to hear from you mate....

Brian & Family
AnswerID: 162090

Reply By: Member - Barry W (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 02:29

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 02:29
Thanks Crazy D
I live in Melb "Cyclone Free"
My Daughter lives in FNQ
I worry all the time - especially Know !!
My daughter / partner own their own buisness I know how hard they struggle
Governments ownly appear to care = How many Votes
The only ones who really care are everyday Aussies who live in the "Real World"
and know how tough things really are
I will be making my donation to my fellow Aussies
Consider this ????
If we left it soley up to the Governments of the day to look after those affected and none of us contributed to those in need !!!!
I'll give you one guess where those poor soles who have gone through living hell will be ??? U.S.C.W.O.A.P
Well done Crazy
I'll never stop looking after my Aussie Bro even if I live in Melbourne !!!
Barry
AnswerID: 162115

Reply By: Qlddisco - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 06:21

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 06:21
I notice our caring prime minister was worried the other night after the cyclone had hit !!! sitting in the grand stand at the swimming in melb !!! Another bush >> leaves it 3-4 days to go check the damage of the country he is running !!!
We have helped so many countries out financially and other wise over the years !!
lets just hope he remembers blood is thicker than water !!!
We are buy no means a wealthy family >> there will definately b some bucks coming from us !!!
Was,nt there a member of ExplorOz working down at commonwealth games ?? pass the hat round mayb ? All the best to every one up north and our thoughts are with you,s !!!
AnswerID: 162118

Reply By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 07:13

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 07:13
Hi Crazy

Glad you came through OK.

As you say, amazing no one was killed, thank Goodness. How about animals? I imagine a lot of both wild and domestic animals would have been injured, any idea if anyone is helping them - it's not the kind of thing which makes the national news.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 162121

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:29

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:29
Good comments. Nice to hear about the lads with chainsaws.

Glad you a re all Ok up there. I have only been through 3 Cyclones (2 at Sea which was interesting) but none were Cat 5.

All the best

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 162140

Reply By: hopscotch - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:41

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:41
Because I am only a visitor to the forum I find that I have to write up my post prior to signing in so that I don't lose all my work so I did not read this thread before I posted Mobilise the Grey Nomads.

I know from experience that there will be mates helping mates and neighbourhoods working together but how much energy can any community sustain and this is certainly not going to be a one week cleanup. That won't do more than clear the trees from the roads.

I am about the followup 'help' in a practical sense when the big players are gone

"North Queenslanders don't think they are different - They know they are different."

Keep us posted Crazy. The pictures are worth a thousand words.

Kevin J
AnswerID: 162142

Reply By: Member-Neil & Margie-Cairns - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 09:10

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 09:10
In here with Crazy ,, thank you from all up here ,, i still haven't seen any news reports from Innisfail as we only got our power back late last night , had the truck out with work yesterday , Edmonton was as far south as i got with the deliveries , they are worse off then us on the north side ,, seeing that i can only imagine what Innislail ect look like ,, i'm born & breed here in Cairns , them was the bigest winds i've ever known , at our house we only lost a few branches , the street lost a few trees , cane crops are flat ,, we are 100 + kms away from the eye ,, i feel for those people who got hit hardest !!

So far all but one post have been a great support ,, "THANK YOU" its great to see the AUSSIE SPIRIT is still alive after the hit it has had around Aust and the world of late ,, thank you ,,
Neil & Margie ..

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 162155

Reply By: Diesel Power - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 09:51

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 09:51
It gives me the S#@$s to hear people say "oh I gave at the tax office" or Its up to the government! These people up North are AUSTRALIAN they are on our side, we should be doing everything we can to assist and help them get back on their feet.
I am ashamed that people in this country have such attitudes, it is not the spirit that made this country the great place it is, imagine the diggers saying "oh bugger them, let them fight the Japs themselves" Fair dinkum if you dont see whats wrong than maybe you need to go and live in America where they really dont give a hoot about anyone.
Lets just hope that most REAL Aussies dont have this narrow minded attitude and that we can all band together as a nation and help out our mates up North.

OK rant over

Cheers

Scott
AnswerID: 162168

Reply By: GREENDOG - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 10:13

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 10:13
Glad to to hear that the Crazy Dog Pack is ok mate,but there is more to came by the sounds of it, Cheer's GREENDOG
AnswerID: 162175

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 12:01

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 12:01
For all the comments about inadequate support from the Govt/other institutions, it could be worse....

You could have been in America and had to deal with FEMA (remember New Orleans?)
AnswerID: 162191

Reply By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 22:56

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 22:56
To all those who responded in the positive I would be glad to have you over to our home just to havva beer one day or if not that then just to meet you.

To those who were in the negative - that is your right - enough said.

Mike -- the animals from what I saw today in Innisfail, Tully and Babinda areas are for the most OK.. From the questions I asked of a friend of mine working in the disaster area for Health he stated that well prior to the cyclone animals were moved to areas less likely to be affected. Those native to the area will have survived by instinct. There has been no negative reports of wholesale injuries to the local populations that I am aware of.

My son the copper has flown in from Gladstone just to repair broken fences around Fishery falls (to keep the horses safe) not just for the family but for neighbouring areas as well.

Nice to hear your comments - that is what sets "most" of us apart from...the others!

I should also like to say that your positve verbal responses have been very much appreciated by those people affected as was told to me by a nurse at Babinda - "thanks for coming down to help us" (even though that is my job) - tears in her eyes.

These people need to know that the rest of the community cares for them.

As for further posts from me on the disaster - there won't be because now my efforts will be in helping - not talking about it.

Get behind me and all the other volunteers and show our people that we care...
AnswerID: 162380

Sponsored Links