ENGEL - extra 12v fan

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 15:09
ThreadID: 32033 Views:3263 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
due to the demise of my pc powerboard i find myself in possesion of a 12v/ 0.14A
3"x 3" plastic fan.
stick it in the 39L engel methinks,seen it done on others years ago.
do a search, go to gpsoz, get scared, the mod looks complicated.
good advice to fit the fan to compressor AC power using rectifiers,PCB's,capacitors etc, but i just thought i'd stick in below the top grill. whack it on to the 12v supply and bingo.
just had a look and my model say "equipped with turbofan". the mod above is for an early model 'fanless' type.
will the fitting of this fan help a lot, or am i wasting time and effort on something that ain't broke?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GUPatrol - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 15:15

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 15:15
wasting time and effort on something that ain't broke
AnswerID: 162229

Reply By: Scubaroo - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 15:17

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 15:17
Maybe it would be better rigged up to circulate air in and out of your vehicle instead? That's if you just HAD to build something with it :-)

Seen a solar doodad that was a small solar panel and a fan designed to either blow outside air into, or suck hot air out of, a parked car - you wound your window down a little, stuck this in the gap at the top, then wound the window back up to keep it in place. If you leave your fridge in the back of the vehicle, having outside-temperature air (say max 40-something degrees) coming into the vehicle would be better than recirculating the same 60-something degrees air around the fridge in a locked car. Surprised that such systems are not more common, but I guess they increase the ability of people to break in through a window etc.
AnswerID: 162230

Follow Up By: Member - Marquis - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 15:47

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 15:47
Vehicles have vents built in (ie a wagon would typically have some near the tail lights/bumper - look around by pulling some of the covers off)
FollowupID: 416927

Follow Up By: Scubaroo - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 15:52

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 15:52
Yeah, but show me a vehicle that doesn't heat up hotter inside than the outside temperature. Vents don't circulate much air at all. Maybe stick the fan near a manufacturer's vent to circulate outside air... rig it so that it only comes on when there's current being drawn by a fridge and the vehicle isn't running - you wouldn't want it blowing dust INTO the vehicle! :-)
FollowupID: 416931

Follow Up By: revhead307 - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 16:24

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2006 at 16:24
I doubt the fan would do much for your engel. (not like others have used to improve the efficiency of a 3 way fridge)

Im sure someone on the site (some time ago) had a post about a 12v fan in some clear perspex...which they place in the top of their window in hot weather and helps to acheive closer to outside ambient temps.

a 0.14A fan isnt that powerful...u can get same size ones in 0.3A etc that will move more air.

Rev

I use 12 and 24V fans for 2 things in the trol...

1) 24v fan 120mm x 120mm over my 3 way chescold.
2) 12v fan on my 30A battery charger behind seat.

soon to put another 24V fan blowing air over the 800W amp behind the rear seat...doubt ill be able to cool it much tho...as it runs hot ;-)

Rev

FollowupID: 416939

Reply By: Ken - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 12:28

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 12:28
Howie, fitting a fan to the older Engels is a good thing to do but it isn't all that simple if you want it to come on and off with the fridge motor.
Definately reduces the run time of the motor though and that is a saving on current from the battery. I have one of the real old yelloe green 39 litre Engels and the motor run time is about 30-40% less than without the fan. In this Engel the swing motor runs on approx 21v which is generated on board when running on 12 or 240 volts. The kit I have came from Shane at Procomp in Melb. It taps the motor voltage and uses it to run the fan. This allows the fan to cycle automatically with the Engel motor.
In any type of fridge the better the heat transfer from it the more efficient it can operate. The very small additional currnet the fan needs to operate [ a few milliamps ] saves considerable motor run time where the motor is drawing 4 - 5 amps.
Is this mod worthwhile ? Very much up to you, if your fridge already has a fan don't bother I reckon you will have the benefit of better air circulation already. For the older Engels which draw more current it is certainly worth it in my view.

Ken
AnswerID: 162458

Sponsored Links