Suggestion for Post Hyperlinks

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 15:48
ThreadID: 32082 Views:1693 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I have noticed that some people who want to advise of a URL link in their posts, just cut and paste the link in because they either dont know how to use the example provided or they are to lazy to do so.

What I would like to know is why cant the URL be automatically created as a hyperlink when cut and pasted as it does when you cut and paste into Outlook Express or Word.

Surely if this was done automatically it would solve a lot of problems for a lot of people.

No one would need to know how to do anything except cut and paste to create a Hyperlink and the reader would not need to cut and paste into a new browser page.

The reader would simply click on the hyperlink and a new page would open similar to what happens now if someone has correctly used the example provided.

I know this is probably easy for me to say why cant it be done, but surely it is a matter of some source code or something being written into the software.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 16:35

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 16:35
Cruiser ,
Good for idiots like me . Great idea .
How come everytime I posted the word Bridgestone in a post , it came up as link automatically ?
Maybe that sort of thing is only available to David's sponsors of which maybe Bridgestone is one
Cheers ,
Willie ..
AnswerID: 162501

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 16:42

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 16:42
That right on the Waeco Willie, Exploroz sponsors such as denco and bridgestone come up automatically
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 417215

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 00:57

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 00:57
Hi Willie
Maybe you do it like this..cough...choke...AArrgghh

bridgestone

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 417329

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:40

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:40
Thats wrong Willie, cause SHOELACE doesnt come up as a hyperlink automatically.. so the system is broken.
FollowupID: 417829

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 16:45

Thursday, Mar 23, 2006 at 16:45
Hum,

I never thought of something so simple. I will think about this one. it can be done I guess I just look for http: followed by a space - check it is valid and convert. Leave it with me.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 162503

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 08:41

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 08:41
David

As well as http: could you also automate it for www.

That works for Internet Explorer, so people are used to being to paste a link beginnnig with www.

Thanks for putting this effort into making the site so user-friendly.

Mike
FollowupID: 417355

Reply By: Lorne - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 07:04

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 07:04
This would be a great idea because I don't know how to use the "To Post Hyperlinks" section, I'm sure I'm not the only one. I asked this question once before but go no response.
AnswerID: 162595

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 23:17

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 23:17
Yeah! know what you mean Lorne.

I asked that Forum Nazi - BONZ - about this exact same thing the other day, and got an answer that would put those good old 'baffle em with
bull c h i t' politicians to shame.

FollowupID: 417651

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 23:47

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 23:47
Lucy,

It must be a Troopie driver thing. I can't work out how to post a image or a link.

Doug T (Qld) will come back now and prove me wrong.

Wayne
FollowupID: 417657

Follow Up By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 11:00

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 11:00
Posting hyperlinks might soon be a thing of the past, which will be great.

However the instructions on the code are always at the bottom of each posting/followup. The problem I have, and the reason I've got slack and not created hyperlinks lately, is that it is fiddly.

You create a new posting or followup and look in the box below that says To Post Hyperlinks:
You use your mouse to highlight all the text in between the pointy brackets after For links: and copy it.

Then you paste this into the text of your message.
Replace the words link text with whatever you want viewers to actually read - this will be the bit underlined in blue.
Then you go to the website that you want to link to - and this is where is gets fiddly as you've got to have another browser window open, or if using a Mac, simply open another tabbed window - you need to copy the full address at the top of the page you want to link to.

Then come back to your posting and highlight the text in the hyperlink code between the apostrophe's "http://domain.com/path" and paste the new web address details. Make sure you don't delete one of the apostrophes in the process.

In theory the link should work.

If you lost track two minutes ago, I told you it was fiddly! and lets look forward to what David can come up with. The http://forum.ih8mud.com/ renders links automatically so it is possible.

Tim
FollowupID: 417694

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:03

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:03
Well I think it is a bad idea.

This suggestion would convert us "IT literate people" to mere mortals:-(
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 163081

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:06

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:06
more akin to 'snake oil salesmen' LOLOL
FollowupID: 417822

Sponsored Links