Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-X Wide Body

Submitted: Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 11:47
ThreadID: 32105 Views:18328 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone own one of these vehicles and give me a bit of an idea of common faults as l'm looking at purchasing a 95 model. The one l'm looking at is an automatic with 115K, 3.0 turbo diesel. It has ABS which l didn't know existed in a Hilux (is it a reliable system). Appreciate anybodys help. It's main use will be around town, towing a braked 1100kg boat and of course up the beach to Fraser every 3 or 4 months fishing.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: camship - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 11:59

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 11:59
In my experience they can be great or really bad, the engine I believe is similar to the 00+ prado therefore parts are ok, I think they need to be thouroghly checked out before purchase (at a reliable 4x4 shop), There is a theory that all those imports have the odometers wound back before they are sent over, and most have quick resprays. Resale is not a strongpoint so try to find a cheap one, best not to buy off an imort yard, try private sales. Thouroughly check for rust inside doors and under floor.
AnswerID: 162633

Reply By: Surf - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 12:06

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 12:06
I used to own a 1993 SSX Limited (hence the screen name). The main problems revolve around overheating, heads cracking or head gaskets failing.

I spent a fortune chasing the magic bullet to solve the overheating problem but to no avail. After new radiators, servicing the viscous cluth fan, flushing the cooling system every 6 months, fitting an auto transmission cooler etc etc, it ran OK around town and off road on most occassions.

However once I started towing a 750kg camper trailer I was back to square one again. We went to Fraser Island last year, it was OK when we arrived as the beach was firm, but when leaving, the sand was a lot softer and I had a hell of a time trying to balance the speed to keep up momentum without overheating the motor.

There are a couple of dedicated Surf web sites here in Australia, and you'll find that overheating, cracked heads or gaskets failing (and how to solve them), generally occupy a fair proportion of the discussions. In saying that however, some Surf owners seem to be lucky and avoid the dreaded overheating drama.

Its a shame really, because they really are a great vehicle otherwise, we had a ball in ours and it took us to some great places, we were sad to see it go.

We've got a Prado now with the same 3 litre motor (but intercooled) and I must admit it does feel more reassuring to be driving an Aussie specced vehicle now. I found with the Surf, no matter what I was doing, or where I was, I had one eye constantly looking at the temperature guage.
AnswerID: 162634

Follow Up By: simple - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 12:32

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 12:32
but then again the 4.2 patrols are meant to have an overheating problem but there's still heaps out there and a lot of happy people with them. be aware of the possible problems and make sure it suits your needs.
FollowupID: 417397

Reply By: Wizard1 - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 12:48

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 12:48
I realise the passionate owners or Surfs will get their backs up but here goes anyway.

All of the people I have met that have had, I emphase "had" a Surf had no end of problems with them and could wait to rid themselves of the vehicle.

Parts was always an issue. Indead as an indicator, some insurance companies in WA refuse to insure them.

I guess that's why they are so cheap.

Do not compare or expect the same performance as the engine to the Prado 3.0. Compare it to the Hilux 3.0.
AnswerID: 162638

Reply By: Redeye - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 14:04

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 14:04
lestraw,

I had a SSRX Surf. It was a good 4x4 but cost a fortune, Over heated all the time cracked a head once requiring a motor rebuild. Then a year or so later cracked a crank shaft. Motors cost me more than the vehicle was worth. Got rid of it a couple of years ago.
If you get a good one go for it but there is no way of finding out.

Mine was a 2.4. The 3 litre MAY be different.

Redeye
AnswerID: 162647

Reply By: Peter 2 - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 19:51

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 19:51
The late model surfs (what you call a wide body I suspect) with the 3 litre intercooled motor are actually the same underneath as a Prado, think of a Prado with a forerunner body. the 3 litre ones don't overheat unless something is wrong
AnswerID: 162697

Reply By: malssurf - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 23:03

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 23:03
G'day les,
I have a '93 3lt auto and as yet have had no problems. I tow a
jayco camper at about 800 kg and do it easy.
As mentioned get it checked over thoroughly.
Contary to comment, parts are not hard to get. A good reputable spare parts
dealer will have no problems. It is only those that know some one who
knows someone thinks parts are hard to get or there are major problems!!
A good, but probably biased site is
http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/

good luck
Malssurf
AnswerID: 162752

Sponsored Links