campertrailer question

Submitted: Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 19:05
ThreadID: 32116 Views:2345 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have seen a on road Jayco Penguin 13 at the Albury caravan and camping show today. It is on special for $16000. I have a Forester 2.5 X manual. The weight of the Penguin is 885 kg. The towing capacity of the Forester is 1400g.
Can you tell me if this difference is acceptable. What would be the maximum weight the Forester could comfortably manage? I will be traveling alone so it will only have one persons weight to carry!
Does anyone have any knowledge of the Penguin. I wasn't able to try the winding up mechanism and would like to know if this is easy to use. i'm assuming that you can drive on unmade roads that are suitable for conventional vehicles with an on roader. Is that correct?
Any other suggestions? I basically want something that is easy to put up with bed down.
I looked at the Mini Robin Driftaway which is lighter. However I prefer the look of the interior of the Penguin
Thanks in advance
Gerri
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bouncer (WA) - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 19:34

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 19:34
I have a Forrester 2.0 and used to tow a camper the same weight as the jayco and you couldn't even tell it was on the back. So you should have no problems at all. And I think you ment to type 1400kg not 1400g as that is just under 1.5kgs LOL
AnswerID: 162693

Reply By: Marc - Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 21:40

Friday, Mar 24, 2006 at 21:40
the jayco weight will be easy for your car. Remember the 885kg is unladened weight so add 50% for extras, water, food, gas, flys etc.
As long as they are formed dirt roads you should have no worries, but its the ground clearance that will stop you elsewhere. if you wouldn't drive a sports car there, don't take caravan.
Go to Jayco and wind it up. They can be put up by one person easy, but two make it dead simple
AnswerID: 162726

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 00:40

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 00:40
Greetings

Providing the ball weight of the Penguin does not exceed the permited ball weight of your Subaru all should be okay.

If the ball weight of the Penguin exceeds the permited ball weight of the Subaru then the towing combination is illegal, despite the weight of the Penguin being well within the towing capacity of the Subaru.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 162763

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 00:53

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 00:53
Hi gerri,

One of the things about driving on "unmade" roads is the corrugations. These are what destroy normal vans as the vibrations shake everything apart. Offroad vans have better suspensions, stronger chassis's and generally stronger made cupboards etc to handle the corrugations. This would be my major concern when on "unmade" roads, not ground clearance etc...

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 162766

Reply By: gerri - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 15:54

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 15:54
Thanks for your responses. I think I would have to get a stronger tow bar.
Gerri
AnswerID: 162830

Sponsored Links