OziExplorer Maps Set-up

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 09:22
ThreadID: 32132 Views:4827 Replies:4 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone else thought about putting the map files of Simpson Desert and the 6 Desert Tracks into the OziExplorer set and it works , It was very difficult to get the index to work but I sorted it out .

First you copy all the files for OziExplorer into a New folder re-named Ozmaps on the Hard Drive, C:/ if you only have 1 , then install the software from the install icon within the new folder called Ozmaps ,When installation is complete then open the folder OziExplorer on the C:/ drive as follows OziExplorer / Maps / then make 2 New Folders calling one Great Desert Tracks and the other Simpson Desert .Then insert the CD rom for i.e. Simpson Desert wait and see if the autorun works and it does just close it down again and using the START/RUN/D: [must have the 2 little dots : after the D] then press OK and that opens the CD so you can see all the files and folders, If you try to open a cd going via MY COMPUTER that then tries to install the software again so you must go in the back door so to speak, OK when you have the CD open you will see 13 files ,6 of them are map files , one called Simpson Desert 500.map and the other 5 must be copied to the folder in the C drive C:/OziExplorer / Maps/Simpson Desert ,ok now open the folder on the CD called ECW Images and also copy all the files in there to the same folder C:/OziExplorer / Maps/Simpson Desert ,

You will do exactly the same for the Great Desert Tracks CD = 12 map files and put the ECW folder in with them as it is. reopen the OziExplorer folder on the C drive,open the Index and delete all files except Australia Index.map & Australia Index , close it all down.

[Note/ if you have the file called ls7_mosaic.ecw for the Mosaic image of Australia and it is a big file at 525MB put it in with the Simpson Desert map files as well ]

Now comes the hard part in getting the index to work right in OziExplorer , open the OziExplorer maps from the icon on the desktop, open FILE / CONFIGURATION / MAP IMAGES and you will see paths 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 I have mine set at path 1 c:\oziexplorer\maps\natmap 250k mapsheets 2003 cd1 / path 2 c:\oziexplorer\maps\natmap 250k mapsheets 2003 cd2 with paths 3 and 4 i'm not sure what you will do there as I have mine on another drive, you might have to just play around with it a bit to get your index go where you want but it does all work fine on mine, The reason for copying the files from the CD to the Hard drive is that it works faster than working from the CD rom. Ihope you find this info helpful and for some it will go right over the top but try it, saves a lot of mucking around with CDs and you can leave the good copies at home.

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pluto - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 09:57

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 09:57
Doug,

I'm not entirely sure what the problem you are having actually is? What you have described all seems routine. Fairly standard for setting up maps in Ozi.

However, You don't need to add these folders to the Map Images tab, if you have c:\oziexplorer\maps listed as the Map File Path in the Systems tab of the config window. Ozi will automatically index all subdirectories of this folder.

If it isn't, You have a problem with the setup on the Index Map window. Open the Index Map, check that the path listed in the top left hand corner is you maps folder (If not click the button on the second row, fifth from the right) and check the Sub-Folders box. You should now see the outline of all the maps in the map folder and its sub-folders.

For good measure open the 'Map' menu on the main Ozi window and select 'Re-Index Map Files'. This will speed future map searches.
AnswerID: 162785

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:06

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:06
Pluto
Sorry mate , no problems here , just thought i would explain a different way , you can't have Simpson Desert maps on your computer if you have you have Desert Tracks CD in the Rom ,sorry if my post was confusing and knew it will be to to many, this way it is all installed on the hard drive, no CDs needed.put it like this , can you add a waypoint to the Simpson maps and I'm talking the Simpson Desert CD rom ,well this way you can , try it mate ....it works
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 417535

Follow Up By: Pluto - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:26

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:26
Yes. No problem creating waypoints in the simpson.

When you say adding waypoint to a specific map, it has me worried. The waypoints you create are not attached to a specific map. They will remain visible on any map of the area which you choose to load.
FollowupID: 417541

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:45

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:45
Pluto
If your running the Simpson Desert CD or the Great Desert Tracks as stand alone setups then there is NO facillity for waypoints,yes of course you can put waypoints on OziExplorer parts of the Simpson or GDTs,but the only way you can get waypoints to these other maps is to put the files in with the others, as i said there are only 4 paths. I know this must look complicated to you but i have as I said spent hours if not days trying to get this to work all in one system , and it does,
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 417544

Reply By: PK Eildon (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:04

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:04
Not sure if I understand what you are trying to achieve, but if I am correct, you want your map files as part of C:\Program Files\OziExplorer. My experience is you can copy them to anywhere and just need to point the program to their location through File/Configuration/Map Images

As far as leaving CDs behind. You may regret it if you get the blue screen of death and cannot re-install. I would even suggest taking paper copy backup in case computer fries.
AnswerID: 162786

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:12

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:12
Yes your right about point the program to their location through File/Configuration/Map Images ,thats the way i set mine up , WHY because there is only 4 paths and i also have the mosaic in there as well , I guess there is many ways to do it , people just have to experiment, yes leave your good CDs at home but make full copies to take,and don't forget the key No.... is that better
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 417538

Follow Up By: Pluto - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:44

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:44
I've just realised why you are adding the paths to the map image path fields. Just opening a map is causing Ozi to search the CD rom for the images. Correct?

Try this out...

From the file menu, select 'Change Image Filname Path & Drive'

In the second section of the popup window, enter the path to your Simpson Desert Map configuation files in the field titled 'For All maps Here'. In the field directly below in the field named 'Change image path To' neter the path to your Simpson map images. Then click the button titled 'Change and Save maps'.

This will change the image path in all of the Simpson Desert map configuation files to point to their new location on the HD. You will then be able to open these maps without having the Image path configured in one of the four fields in Map Image.

Having the correct image path in the individual map calibration files speeds up many functions in Ozi, as it doesn't have to search for the image in multiple locations.

FollowupID: 417543

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:49

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:49
Yep your getting there, thanks mate but i'm not trying anything now that i got mine working last year, If I change it and forget what I did I'll be back to square 1 ,

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 417545

Follow Up By: Pluto - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:56

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:56
OK, but you are going to run out of image path fields really fast. I strongly recommend you learn how to adjust map calibration files or you will severly limit your ability to manage your collection of maps.
FollowupID: 417546

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 11:01

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 11:01
Pluto
It won't work if you do not copy all the files from the CD to your computers Hard drive , I have a folder where i put them on a partitioned section of one of 3 hard drives i have installed , [I'll cover myself here you can only have 2 internal Hard drives because there is only 2 Ide sockets , plus 2 ides for CD roms and if your computer is old and has a floppy then there will be 1 ide for that , so my 3rd is an external ],ok I'm covered so If you don't do it that way the comp' will want to search for the CDrom , thats why you must install from that folder where you have copied the files too , and as i explained you don't put the SD or the GDT files in there ...no they go into the map folder within the OziEx' folder on the Cdrive , if you follow the directions to the T and dot the I's I gave in the first post it will work
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 417547

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 11:08

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 11:08
OK mate I just got your last post about to many paths, well thats why you put the map files in with the others and It finds them in the index , mate you gotta read it carefully and understand why it has to be done like that , as i said it looks confusing but not to anyone who has been plugging around with computers since 97 LOL i remember when my son had a Commodore 64 ,sure come a long way since them , just in the games and graphics .Oh and i might add I was stuffed if I new how to work it,
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 417548

Follow Up By: PK Eildon (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 11:11

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 11:11
I remember the Commodore 64. It was complex, fast and frightening. Lucky it had a F1 key. :)
FollowupID: 417549

Follow Up By: PK Eildon (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:37

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:37
Notice you have gone quiet Doug. Hope you're not :(. For my part, I agree the program can be a bit 'geeky' but maybe it has to be that way. It took me 3 or 4 weeks (and a lot of head banging) to come to terms with it, and I am sure there is more to find. Many of the functions can be the same or similar and settings are in numerous places. Persistence is the name of the game. The program is excellent once configured right.

I won't even mention 3D and height datum. :)

Plutos advice is certainly sound to me.

Best of luck I'm sure you will become a grand master
FollowupID: 417557

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 13:18

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 13:18
PK Eildon
Nah mate all ok here, been for a shower,mucking about with Garmin maps hooked up to the GPS , I get great enjoyment from helping ppl with maps/mp3s/wma's/ a couple of weeks ago I went around to one of the truckies place trying to teach his wife how to make and manage MP3s , well it was #!&*^%# funny i tell you, It just goes right over the top.
Ive had my map setup working ok for quite a while now,I just had the track from the GPS on the mosaic map and it looks good , shows exactly where the road is
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 417559

Follow Up By: PK Eildon (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 13:34

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 13:34
Yeah, its great. Have got plots for most of a 9,000k trip and can view them on several maps or satellite image. Can even get an idea of how rough or difficult the terrain is from the plots speeds.
FollowupID: 417561

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 14:00

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 14:00
PK Eildon

I just added a waypoint for well 35 CSR and it put it on the GDTmap and also OziExplorer about 47KLM to the East , that waypoint was from ExplorOz list .The map has well 35 marked, something or someone is wrong , here it as copied from this site
S 22º 12' 47.5" S E 125º 30' 20.99".see what you get
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 417562

Follow Up By: PK Eildon (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 14:18

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 14:18
Yeah, your right, those co-ords are wrong. Maybe a typo.
I think correct co-ord for Well 35 are
22º 12' 49" S
125º 02' 59" E
FollowupID: 417566

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 14:32

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 14:32
Your right with your Co-Ord I just tried well 22 and i't's wrong too ,I checked the config's and they are ok S & E ,I will check it on the Raster and see if it is any closer
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 417570

Follow Up By: PK Eildon (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 14:46

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 14:46
I cannot remember which plot & waypoint file I downloaded from EO, but it was all pretty spot on. The plot deviates little from the roads, and all waypoints agree with map.
FollowupID: 417573

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 15:02

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 15:02
well i just did a calc' with Natmap Raster maps with the ExplorOz Lat/Long and it was still way out to the east about the same at 46 klm,My maps must be spot on because when i loaded up the recorded track from the GPS which covered here in town and over to Cloncurry and west toward Camooweal the line was exactly on the map roads both on the Garmin and the Oz, I think i will stay with the waypoints i already have in the GPS manually created from OziExplorer, will gone for a while ....NAP time for this old fella
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 417574

Reply By: PK Eildon (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:26

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:26
Sounds good to me LOL
AnswerID: 162789

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 11:14

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 11:14
Glad someone can work it out
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 417550

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:52

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 12:52
Hmm, ok. I thought everone copied their maps to the hard drive, maybe if you're short of space one might run fron the CD.

My maps are in eighteen directorys under Oziexplorer/maps. The directorys contain both the .map and the image file. It runs like a well oiled machine.

AnswerID: 162805

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 20:26

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 20:26
Ray
we must be doing something wrong?

It was soooo easy for me

I would have though everyone did the same as well

I run them on four computer and a PDA post doesnt make any sense to me

Richard
FollowupID: 417616

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 20:54

Saturday, Mar 25, 2006 at 20:54
yeah, I dunno what all the fuss is about.
FollowupID: 417622

Sponsored Links