What Wolfie Did...

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 14:07
ThreadID: 32175 Views:1947 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
... to mount his lights on his Honda.

Okay, some of you may say it’s a waste of time, but the little Honda does get used often on night time country trips.

I bought this pair of Lightforce 170s, still wondering, whether they’d be any good. Well, to cut a story short, they are! I have got them focused to a mid beam, along with the wide beam diffuser. The lights on the Honda are okay, but I was really after more peripheral vision, ergo, wildlife on the shoulders. This set up now addresses that.

I didn’t want to leave my lights attached to my car all of the time, as I know, in advance, when I’m going away, so as well as loading up the Honda, I have the lights in the rear, so I just simply bolt them onto the sub frame, which is as follows...

This is the two light set up, on a small secondary frame. Once installed, the registration is all correct, as far as focus and direction is concerned. Note the plug, this plugs into its mate, just beneath the bonnet...

Here, you can see, how it’s going to go all together...

Okay... I haven’t bolted them in, or connected the plug, but you get the idea...

So, no-one can nick my covers, or my lights.

One disturbing thing though. The front of the little Honda is all plastic. There is nothing metal, till you get to the radiator, and even the steel there is fairly light on. I did manage to pick up 2 steel points, and two plastic points, and thankfully, the Lightforce lights are extremely lightweight, so there are no horrid vibrations during driving on dirt roads, thankfully.

Cheers

Wolfie

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 14:23

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 14:23
Nice Job !
AnswerID: 162957

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 14:25

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 14:25
'Blush!!'

Thank you, and, seeing your name is Derek, and my middle name is also Derek, that is even a more powerful comment!!!

Wolfie
FollowupID: 417720

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:23

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:23
Wolfieeeee... you're a bad boy! Don't wind Derek up - he's not use to it :)

FollowupID: 417750

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 16:27

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 16:27
Wow ...you should put a patent on that, brilliant idea .the other benifit of your idea is that no one can unbolt them when your asleep , as for the 170s ....well that what i been trying to tell ppl that they are mickey mouse ....lol you should put em up on the roof ...one each side and it would lok like mickey mouse
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 162970

Follow Up By: rickwagupatrol - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 16:38

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 16:38
a wolf in mouse clothing,,,,,now that i would pay to see.....lol

rick.
FollowupID: 417733

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 16:51

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 16:51
Funny thing though Doug, I did actually want to put them up there to begin with.

I posted on here about the pros and cons, of doing so, and 99% said...NO. Too much light spill into the windscreen.

Not being satisfied with ask the audience, and still having two lifelines left, I decided I would find out for myself, and I wired a cigarette plug onto the end of one light, and placed it into the position I had in mind..... the audience was right.... bummer.... they would have looked cool up there....

So, after finding NOTHING, to mount the damned things onto up the front, I decided that a spider type bracket, which picks up over four points was the best solution, but I wasn't happy with the "look" of the lights on the front, what I mean is.... they don't seem to belong.

Enter the idea or removable, it was simply an idea that grew, and I then whitewashed my self in telling all and sundry it was part of my grand plan! Don't go telling anyone, please...

Yes, the 170s are a good light. I have never seen the 240s in action, and they would have to be a better light again, but for me, and the charts supplies on the internet, the 170s showed enough promise.

Cheers

Wolfie
FollowupID: 417735

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:48

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:48
Well now see ppl after your ideas already , Geez i just dozed off here for a few minutes and now feel damn lousy, ...old age i guess . oh well S*%#@ happens, About the lights up on the roof , apparently it's illegal but what about one jeep model has them above the windscreen as standard and i seen one just recently , If you have a look at members rig photo's and look at the one of my car head on ,on the front roof bar you will see 2 of those narrow type Hella's 100 watters and i work with police sometimes and not one them has said anything,could be they are small and not too obvious, but they help a lot in this country at night by lighting up the sides 150m in front , yeh i loaded up some new pics in there today and when I can get rid or delete the other stuff i will put some more in , .
Might be some work this week so could be away a bit.
See ya...
ummm did ya see what i done today ???? ya better go check this out.clik the link

ourcountry

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 417773

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 21:00

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 21:00
Doug, those little skinny lights on your roof....

I've also got a pair of those I frenched into the sides of my roofrack on the same Honda!

I use them at destination, to give me good vision for night access and set ups. You would have to look real hard to see them, as they are over each of the doors, and set inside the steelwork. The light they throw out is awesome, and lights up from the front of the vehicle, right through to the rear.

Wolfie
FollowupID: 417778

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 17:55

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 17:55
Thats a great idea Wolfie. If it's ok by you I would like to copy that to an extent. I have been wanting a good set of driving lights but have been worried about them being pinched so was trying to think of a decent removable set up...and yours is much better than the ideas I had floating around in my noggin!
AnswerID: 162989

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 18:12

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 18:12
Just buy IPF'S, 95% as good and nobody nicks them.
FollowupID: 417745

Reply By: Member-Neil & Margie-Cairns - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:05

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:05
Better get a patent on this Wolfie ,, could get some good money outa this !!

Damn good job ,,
Neil ..

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 163002

Sponsored Links