2.8 Hilux diesel rattle

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 14:27
ThreadID: 32176 Views:11608 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Mate's got a 2.8l Hilux that has suddenly developed an engine rattle and is down on power. This was not a gradual thing, it suddenly happened whilst driving up a long hill. It idles and runs, but does appear to be blowing some more black diesel smoke.

The engine was rebuilt approx 60,000km's ago by a reputable company and it has performed faultlessly up to now. There is no oil in the coolant, or vice versa either.

Any ideas? I was thinking along the lines of the timing belt skipping a tooth on the injector pump (if the 2.8's run a belt to the pump that is). The rattle does not sound 'rythmic' or knocking like a big end / dropped valve, it is a general noise that sounds like what I'd call a 'diesel rattle' which leads me towards injector pump timing.

To all the diesel / Hilux guru's out there, I'd appreciate any constructive suggestions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 120scruiser - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 14:48

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 14:48
Generally if the hilux skips a tooth on the belt it won't do it on the pump but on the crank gear and it will destroy the camshaft. It smashes the cam into about 4 pieces. The last one we saw destroyed the head.
It sounds as though it has cracked a piston skirt. This will cause a rattle and could happen suddenly.
I suggest you have it idle and crack the injector pipes one at a time to drop out each cylinder. If the rattle goes on a certain cylinder when you crack the injector line, this takes the power stroke off the cylinder, you will have isolated the fault.
Hope this helps
120scruiser.
AnswerID: 162960

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 16:59

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 16:59
suggest you also check harmonic balancer,there is a reasonably high incidence of these working loose on hilux 2.8's
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 162978

Reply By: Turbo Diesel - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 07:38

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 07:38
Could be a fuel pump problem, or maybee injectors themselves, bad batch of fuel etc. Mate had the same thing (or at least possible the same) happen to his 2.8, could not find the rattle pulled the entire engine apart, anyway decided to go to a different fuel station rather that the same one for the last couple of months, Result rattle dissapeared can't understand why and has never been given an opinion as to why just one of those things. Lack of power would suggest something more serious though????
AnswerID: 163079

Reply By: DesC - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 17:34

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 17:34
seen a lot of LN106's drop valve guides creating that problem.
AnswerID: 163686

Sponsored Links