Off-Road trailer in Perth?

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:33
ThreadID: 32189 Views:6455 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy, considering getting rid of the trusty old ute (2 x rego's, insurance, maintenance, parking, money tied up etc) and going for an offf-road trailer instead.

What I'm chasing would be secondhand if possible (but realistically it'll most likely have to be new), single axle, decent length draw bar, similar track width to 105 series Cruiser, ability to run 285/75/16" rims. I just want a practical way of carting general bits and pieces around and on trips away, have the space to throw all the extra stuff that makes an extended stay more pleasant and some better method of carting out my rubbish. I don't want a flimsy 'garden' unit manufactured from aluminium foil that'll split in half on the first dirt road it sees.

I have performed a search of the archives (please take note Monsieur Truckster;-)) and will also 'let my fingers do the walking' tomorrow. So, my questions to you all are as follows.......

Q1 - Can anyone suggest a good company in Perth who sells such a beast or point me in the direction that I should look?

Q2 - Also, what would be a fair and reasonable price for said machine?

Q3 - What are the legalities of carting extra fuel and cooking gas around in a trailer using either jerry cans or in a 44? A 44 gallon drum of go-go juice and a McNaught rotary pump would give a 415l fuel payload = a looooonnggggg way between pit stops.

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:54

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:54
Just answered a Trailer question further down the page...lol

Q1 Can't answer...dont know

Q2 I paid $1950 registered for a new 7x4 HD trailer with jockey wheel and long drawbar. Then fitted a Treg hitch($280 and a slab of beer) and had a tonneau cover made for $250. Also made a false floor from MDF to fit in the trailer so that I can carry 12 jerries lying down on the bottom and all my camping gear and small gasbottle on the top. $2530 all up.

Had to do as springover to fit 265/75/16 wheels

Q3 Legalities.? Who the hell is going to know and who the hell is going to care?

Can now carry 335lts of diesel which is good when travelling on long trips in the outback.

Cheers
AnswerID: 163027

Reply By: Member - Alan (WA) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 21:19

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 21:19
Hi

I would recommend that you contact John and Dianne at Wandering Star - in Welshpool. We bought one of their off-road CTs (Wanderer model) - but they also do a range of custom made trailers.

See their web site at Wandering Star.

We found them very helpful - they have been in the industry for a long time and were happy to educate us through the process - and to alter designs to suit our requirements.

Regards

Alan
AnswerID: 163031

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 23:09

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 23:09
Down under camper trailers I think in Holems Rd ??????

Also 1 just listed in the trader section.
AnswerID: 163050

Reply By: bushfox - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 00:05

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 00:05
The mob Alan suggests are great, we've got a Wandering Star - Nomad model offroad camper. John & Dianne were excellent to deal with, trailer customised to our needs, good price and rock solid trailer. We've towed ours up and down Cape York via OTL, Birdsville Trk, Plenty Hwy, Gibb Road, Great Central Rd and has done the Tanami regularly - not a fault.

Hope this helps.

Bushfox
AnswerID: 163057

Reply By: Mr Z - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 09:07

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 09:07
i'm also searching for a trailer, in melbourne though
i found papa's trailers, which have an outlet in wa,

http://www.papastrailers.com.au/
AnswerID: 163095

Follow Up By: grayson - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 12:55

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 12:55
We used Papas years ago to build some custom box trailers to carry fuel, water and drilling consumables and they were quite good. They do make cheap units as well so get all the specs for what you want before committing.

I saw a couple of extra heavy duty units made by TL Engineering in Bayswater/Bassendean that looked very good.

Sorry I can't help with the pricing.

FollowupID: 417893

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 20:20

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 20:20
prompt sheet metal in welshpool will build a custom built trailer to your needs
AnswerID: 163274

Sponsored Links