2 weeks in the bush

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:48
ThreadID: 32190 Views:2012 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We just returned from 2 weeks ex Melb. (to escape the Comm. games) over to the Eyre peninsula, Ceduna, Goog's track, along the railway line to Kingoonya, Down to Mt. Ive station, Yunta, Chowilla regional park, across Wyperfield Nat. Park and back to the grind. We had 2 days @ Memory cove on Pt Lincoln Nat Park which was magnificent, then over to Coffin Bay and another 2 days on the beach fishing and driving. Up through Ceduna and along Goog's track. This was where the fun really began! Over 300 sand dunes later we camped at the foot of Mt. Finke. We were 6 vehicles with camper trailers. All of us made it up the dunes no problems although some were more challenging than others! If we got complacent we got stuck but by letting the tyres down to 18 psi we all got over.
Kingoonya was amazing being an abandoned ailway town. We camped in the main street and not a soul was around. Very little damage has been done by vandals as it is too far away.Over to Yunta and set up camp across the road from the pub in between the rail line and the highway. Lucky the publican was friendly cos after a few we all slept well! Down to Chowilla near Renmark to camp on the banks of Chowilla creek ,a tributary of the Murray for a well deserved swim, then across Wyperfield Nat park to lake Hindmarsh and then home.
What a fantastic taste of the real Oz.
I wish I could type better to convey a lot more of a fantastic trip!
See you out there one day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:01

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:01
Sounds like a great trip :)

How much water is in Lake Hindmarsh presently?

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 163017

Follow Up By: rossco - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:13

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:13
You need to take a lawn mower to swim in Lake Hindmarsh!
Every where is as dry as a chip.
FollowupID: 417764

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:23

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 20:23
I suspected that may be the case: 10 years ago there was four feet of water at the northern end - I recall swimming in it! Last time I was there (about four years ago) the same area was dry.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 417765

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:01

Sunday, Mar 26, 2006 at 22:01
I noticed some in the middle this time last year Mike, no idea how deep it was though.
FollowupID: 417787

Sponsored Links