Kalgoorlie to meekatharra

Submitted: Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 04:24
ThreadID: 32198 Views:5968 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
We are going (coming depending on which side you are on) across to W.A. at the end of Aug. for eight weeks. We are wanting to do a loop up to the Pilbara (as we used to live at Newman when we first got married ) and down the coast to Perth for a wedding.
My question is, is the road from Kalgoolie to Meekatharra via Leonora and Wiluna really a shortcut or am I better off going across towards perth before turning north. We will be towing a 16ft Gazal Infinity offroad (semi) Caravan so just really wondering about the bit between Wiluna and Meekatharra if it is suitable for vans. Hope this all makes sense as I am just about to go home after my 4th 12hr Nightshift.

Looking forward to getting back over that way !!!!

Athol.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 04:57

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 04:57
Well the shortest way is to take the Menzies-sandstone road them the Sandstone Meeka road (all dirt)
Otherwise the answer to your question is yes it is a shortcut, the Wiluna Meeka road is dirt and from memory can be corragated and dusty with trucks but it still is a majour road I have done it 2wice in campervans
AnswerID: 163064

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 05:26

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 05:26
I used to live up that way years ago and had no problems taking my Mazda 626 this way. However one trip i was accompanied by a mate in a Jackaroo with an oldish van which was only good for the dump when we lobbed into Kalgoorlie from Meeka. From memory the worst stretch was Sandstone way. And as for Wiluna????????????Ummmmm was very happy to say goodbye to it.
AnswerID: 163065

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 05:50

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 05:50
Athol
Kal to Meeka is shorter but rather than go via Wiluna go via Leinster, Sandstone and Mt Magnet. That road is now bitumised.

Cheers Phi
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 163066

Reply By: Pilbara Wayne - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 07:22

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 07:22
Athol

The quickest way is to go on the Neds Creek Road. You go into Wiluna, past the pub and keep going north. Stay on this road and you end up on the Great Northern Highway about 80km south of Kumarina Roadhouse, which apparently had a fire recently and could be still closed.

Not far north of Wiluna is the first watering point for the Canning Stock Route. A great place to camp, about 10km in from the road. It is well sign posted and last time I was there, there were two caravans under the shade of the trees.

The Neds Creek Road is in my opinion in better condition than the Wiluna to Meeka Road and a lot shorter.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers

Wayne

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 163075

Follow Up By: Bullwinkle - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:32

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:32
Have used the Ned's Creek road many times when heading East from Newman. It's generally in "average' condition, the roughest bit being the northern 60 k's of it. We've towed a camper trailer and a horse float down there with no dramas. Kumarina is open for business too. It was only the kitchen burnt down and he had no power for a few days. We've found the Ned' Creek road is generally in better nick than the Wiluna-Meeka road as it gets less traffic. Cheers.....
FollowupID: 417828

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 12:17

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 12:17
Is Neds Crk Road also called the Willuna North Road ?
FollowupID: 417882

Follow Up By: Pilbara Wayne - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:20

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:20
Yes it is the Wiluna North Road.

Some maps I have dont show the "centre" section and others state that it is a private road. Both are wrong and I've seen quite a bit of traffic on it in the last two years of using it.

I generally find the road is in three sections - Wiluna to Cunyu Station is generally in good condition. Cunyu Station to Neds Creek Station is rocky and a bit rougher, but still passable to trailers etc. Just be careful on the bends and creek crossings. Neds Creek Station to the Highway is generally good.

Cheers

Wayne

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 418061

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:34

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:34
PW, thanks for that. I had to search hard to find it on my Natmaps . I didn't know that it existed. The last time I travelled Wiluna to Meeka I thought the track pretty tame...I even saw a limo bouncing along...but I guess it had been graded.
Much traffic on the Neds Crk Road ?
FollowupID: 418066

Reply By: Member - Athol (NSW, 2527) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 09:47

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 09:47
Thanks everyone, Aug. seems a long way away at the moment but I guess it will get here soon enough.

Athol
AnswerID: 163392

Sponsored Links