Great Outback Cleanup - Year of the Outback Event

Submitted: Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 12:23
ThreadID: 32207 Views:2220 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,
As you've no doubt seen and heard in the media (radio, magazines, ExplorOz, etc) the Great Outback Cleanup needs people to come forward for the 2 week trips throughout Oz in August. Although I know the event is viewed as positive from everyone that hears about it, I haven't seen any discussions in the Forum about it, and I'm sure the organisers are interested in hearing your views so I thought I'd start a thread and see what people had to say about it. Firstly, make sure you check out this link for all the information.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 13:37

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 13:37
Hi Michelle,

Great idea but the biggest problem is time for me. It is a bit like the suggestion to help out in Innnesfail that was suggested earlier - it is a great idea and a good opportunity for people to give something back to the community. Just can't afford the time until I retire I guess.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 163145

Reply By: Member - Ray ( (VIC) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 15:31

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 15:31
Hi Michelle
I would love the experience! However, I guess like a lot of others, work time is the problem.. Even tho I work for myself (free-lance), my time, when I'm travelling, is usually dedicated to my work ( photography/painting), so I have to fit in my treks with work in mind, Right now, I am comitted to producing work for clients. Maybe soon, I can take time off purely to explore and get involved with others doing the same thing, but until then, I have to combine my travels with what work I can produce along the way. Other problem is, I have a little travelling mate (female dog), and she is just as bad as having a child! I live on my own now, so don't have the opportunity to leave her behind!
Regards
Bronco
AnswerID: 163159

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 15:40

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 15:40
HI Ray,
Thanks for your response. Just wanted to say that your pics of your artwork are sensational. I'm interested to know if all your work is of the outdoors? I've tried painting, pastels and watercolour but other than some rough sketches, I find it all very difficult to capture the 3D world in 2D - the light and shadows are so complex, so I respect anyone that can make a half decent job and in total admiration of anyone that can produce quality paintings such as yours. I'm not surprised that you value your work time above all else.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 417922

Reply By: Member - Ray ( (VIC) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:06

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:06
Hi again, Michelle
Firstly, thanks for the nice opinions re my paintings. I can tell you, im my case, it never comes easy! I often get frustrated when it doesn't çome together'as it should, so believe me, I still make mistakes! That's where digital photography has been a great help to me, instead of sitting out there on location for hours, I can now take a series of shots, then download to puter, and paint the final product at my leasure, at a later time! Yes, I usually combine my trips with my work, so obviously the selected area of travel hopefully will promote something worth painting! I usually produce work for clients (on commission), and from time to time, prepare artwork for exhibitions. I am also involved with cartooning, and submit work from time to time to whoever requires it! And believe it or not, attempting to finish writing a book ( project that so far has taken too long!), it's a humerous novel about life in the outback. And finally, I still consult from time to time in the area of Risk Management and Intelligence Analysis when I can (my old police partner is now Managing Director of his own company and throws work my way!) So still carry a suit in the bag!! Thanks again, oh, and by the way, recieved all the gear in the mail today..thanks!
Regards
Bronco
AnswerID: 163168

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:29

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:29
Hi Michelle,

I have read all the info and looked at all the tracks, but unfortunately none are on my tour route this year. I believe that the Great Outback Cleanup is a great concept, but I think the organisers and we on EO should be pushing for more to be done by all travellers when it comes to picking up rubbish. I know this would not help in raising funds for the Royal Flying Doctor Service, Cleanup Australia and the Australian Outback Development Consortium, but it would certainly make Australia even more beautiful than it already is.
Maybe when paying fees to enter parks, one could receive a bag for their spare wheel carriers to assist in carrying rubbish. I know more and more people are purchasing these types of bags (me included) that makes it easier to collect and store rubbish when on the road. Better yet, EO could find a supplier and have the EO logo printed on it and then sell them on here. I also think that rubbish tips need to be advertised more so that explorers know where they can dump their collections, and your "Places" area is a start for this, well done.
We all have a lot of work to do to clean up Australia, and every little bit helps.

Cheers

Glenn

AnswerID: 163174

Follow Up By: Old Scalyback & denny - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 18:37

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 18:37
goodday glenn
if you go to the kimberly kamper site they will donate a bag to hang on the back i got mine a couple of weeks ago and hope to start using it over easter

steve
FollowupID: 417965

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 19:11

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 19:11
Hi Steve,

I just bought one from In Front Camping on Ebay. They are a fantastic concept, and can also be used to put firewood in them if needed.

Cheers

Glenn

FollowupID: 417973

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:37

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:37
Thanks Glenn,
Thanks for raising these relevant and practical suggestions within this thread. Even if people can't go on this event, it is a good time to raise awareness of the issue.

We have actually spent considerable time researching those garbage bags for the wheel carrier but we couldn't get them down to a decent price sorry about that. Perhaps someone in the audience has a business making them that wants to come forward with a better price?
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 418069

Reply By: Member JD- Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 18:09

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 18:09
Hi Michelle,
I'd like to help but unfortunately very busy working on 4WD tracks around Sydney..doing Menia cleanups..draging rocks down to holes so big if you drove into them you are indeed risking your life..so in a way doing my bit on...you might say the doorstep of the great outback..every little bit helps...wish you all the luck in the world..as sometime lack of participtation upsets,we all need to give something back to the land as we enjoy our 4wdriving otherwise we will destroy it...not enought time to go round.
JD
AnswerID: 163204

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:08

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:08
Thanks for your comments JD - agree that every little bit helps, good on you!
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 418056

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 20:36

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 20:36
Hi Michelle

Why is there always money invoved in these events. Seems like the "Thing to do" for the mega rich. Then there are the prizes. 'You may be eligible to go into the draw for a trip for two to Melville Island' if you...blah blah etc............All in the name of Fundraising............

If each one of us who are travelling this year could just remove a couple of kilos of stuff left behind by other uncaring people, then it will help.

Last year we collected lots of cans and debris from places along our journey through WA and also two vehicle parts which had fallen off Toyotas(one on the Gary Highway!).

My thoughts.
AnswerID: 163282

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:09

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:09
Thanks for making your comments Willem, this is the sort of honest responses that the organisers need to know. I hope everyone will feel confident to say it as it is.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 418057

Reply By: AdrianLR (VIC) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 21:32

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 21:32
Hi Michelle,

I've read the material on the Cleanup. I have a feeling of "I don't get it" Firstly, I don't understand why it is an "auction" - what are you buying and why is it competitive? If the answer is "a place on a tag-along-tour" than it's not clear that there is a tour leader. If it is a donation towards RFDS then I just make them without expecting something in return (except a sticker for the kids!). Internet auctions also only attract most bids right at the end - not a good planning mechanism for the organisers.

There are expectations eg sat phone so expenses above the bid. The ARB inspection is a point of cycnicism (are they going to finds things like not having a snorkel that they just happen to sell) or is it purely safety. I haven't looked at all of the routes but the ones I saw didn't have details beyond main places - if getting on board meant that I went places not normally accessible then that might help. Finally, the only bid on the system is for $3000 plus fuel, accomodation, food and getting back from Alice - expensive donation and a bit longer than 2 weeks by the time you return! When we make that sort of commitment it won't be to clean up campsites. BTW, prizes aren't a driver at all.

I wonder who fits the target demographic? I guess we don't (family with 2 primary school kids). Lets hope that there are takers as the causes are all good and I genuinely would like to be proven completely wrong in my assessment.

Adrian
AnswerID: 163302

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:14

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:14
Adrian, thank you for detailing a number of your own concerns and feelings about the event. I'm sure there are others with similar feelings, and you are right, it's not for everyone.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 418059

Reply By: lifeisgood - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 22:17

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 22:17
Mmmmm Think I agree with Willem and sentiments similar.
Pity its so commercial. Bit like a reddex bush bash? It will appeal to many however and can do no harm if you have say $2000 to spare for the auction.
I like the clean up concept as run by dedicated 4wd clubs - not trendy - just dedicated and enjoying the companionship of others whilst doing it.

I did a trip to a remote reservoir in Tallarook state forest (Vic) the other day.
Had a great time and a BBQ in an existing stone fireplace. Friends were a little surprised when I removed all the cans/ glass left by others in the area.
Why do people have to break glass bottles (stubbies) ?
Point is there will always be pigs in the bush so some of us will always have to
clean up more than just our own rubbish until the culture hopefully changes or "pigs can fly."
I have thought about carrying one of those zero type (non toxic)weed spray packs
for weeds around campsites also. Like the bag idea above.
AnswerID: 163317

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:29

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:29
Hi lifeisgood, thanks for giving your comments.
I think the organisers did in fact take the original concept to the national 4wd council, but it all got too hard and so the organisers then approached key businesses with vested interests in the industry who were asked to take on certain responsibilities to make it happen. ExplorOz for example was asked to donate our web services to audience to host the auction (rather than it go on Ebay). We also donated some advertising effort to it (newsletter features, site navigation and custom pages along with access to our audience). None of the magazines running Press Releases, or the radio stations giving airplay to interviews etc is taking money either, but there are rules about this and as a charitable event then it tends to get the publicity that other non-charitable events attract. The purpose, no matter how its marketed is to clean up the outback in a big way. Hopefully it will attract those out there with some spare time (and $).
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 418064

Reply By: disco driver - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 19:46

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 19:46
Hi All,
The Great Outback Cleanup is a great idea for raising awareness and dealing with the Rubbish issue in August but what about the rest of the year?
The funds raised will be going to very worthy causes as well.
I'm sure that most using this forum take part in the Outback Cleanup every time they are out there in the bush anyway.
I would love to take part but health & finances (more correctly--lack of) prevent it this time round.
Still I can do my bit whenever I'm out there.
Cheers

Disco

AnswerID: 163499

Sponsored Links