Walkers Crossing on Trek Notes?

Submitted: Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 15:55
ThreadID: 32213 Views:2813 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Recent post asked about Walkers Crossing, and was referred to Trek Notes.
I've been trying to find info on Walkers Crossing, and cannot find it mentioned in Trek Notes.
Am I doing something wrong do you think?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:39

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:39
I just tried to find it also - then I came back and clicked on the bottom of your Post where it says Trek Note: Walkers Crossing. Try that and see how it goes. What specifically do you want to know?
AnswerID: 163177

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 17:48

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 17:48
Good one. I have also been searching for info on the Walkers Crossing Track. Clicked on the link above 'This trek note is under construction-try again later'.

Ruth, on your advice from a couple of months ago, we are travelling Innamincka to Birdsville via Walkers Crossing in early May. Sounds like a great drive. I'll get a good Hema map of the area before we come. At the moment I am using the Hema Atlas and 1: 250K Raster Map.

The track is clearly marked on the Atlas, but when I look at the Raster, there are dozens of other tracks criss crossing the area as well. I know how to read a map (spent 20 years in the Army), but the last thing I ned is a stressed out wife when I'm trying to enjoy the trip. Is the track pretty easy to follow off the map? and reasonably well defined?
AnswerID: 163198

Follow Up By: Member- Rox (WA) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 19:25

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 19:25
Very easy to follow the track. If R Burke could find the cooper then you shouldn't have trouble.
Are you also using a GPS?
FollowupID: 417976

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 19:29

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 19:29
I carry a GPS and Ozi Explorer on laptop. I'm set up for moving maps, but don't use it often. Prefer to navigate by paper maps when they are available
FollowupID: 417977

Follow Up By: Member- Rox (WA) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 19:39

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 19:39
You should have no problems then. Just out of Coopers creek is a lot of white clay & I suppose if your the first to drive after a flood you may get lost but if not just follow the tyre marks. I know you'll have fun out there.
Try the fresh water mussels in the cooper, I don't like them (no taste) but you may have a better recipe than me. Also Grunter can be caught.
FollowupID: 417979

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen (WA) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:28

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 23:28
Norm,

If you search this site, I placed an OziExplorer plot file of Birdsville to Innamincka via Walker's Crossing in the "Digital Mapping Data" section of the "Trip Planning" menu above.

I was going to make up a treknote but I did the trip a fair while ago. I didn't take any notes or distances or any other sort of detail (we did the trip before people could make treknotes). When I had a look through the information required to make the treknote, I was a bit short of info.

I can say however the track was fairly easy to follow. Down the southern end on the Moomba gas field roads you just need to follow the signs. I think we only needed a paper map when we got down to the southern end. I only happened to have the GPS on and recording when we made that part of our trip.

Cheers
Stephen J.
VKS737 - Mobile 2735

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 418063

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 00:47

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 00:47
Thanks Stephen, found it. I don't anticipate any problems. Just like being prepared. Preparation is part of the fun and adventure of these sort of trips.
FollowupID: 418081

Reply By: tuck 01 - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 04:06

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 04:06
Thanks all, glad I wasn't suffering the male blindness my bride reckons I have.
I'd heard it can get confusing down the Moomba end, but it sounds like it is pretty well signposted these days. The Garmin will be in use.
AnswerID: 163359

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 10:55

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 10:55
HI everyone, sorry about the Walkers Crossing Trek Note being "under construction", its been that way for some time - my fault entirely. I just haven't had enough time to finish it. There's only a bit left to go. I'll endeavour to have it done by Easter?! Promise!!
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 163405

Sponsored Links