Caravan and camping book

Submitted: Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:23
ThreadID: 32216 Views:4083 Replies:11 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Apparently there is a great caravan and camping book out that tells you all about the caravan parks and where the free camping grounds are. If anyone knows the name of it could they let me know.

We are in Perth and have just got a caravan and most of the caravan parks in Mandurah leave a lot to be desired.

We are interested in nice grassed sites.

Mim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:40

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:40
Yo Mim,

Check the shop out here on EO... what you are after is here..,...
AnswerID: 163178

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:40

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:40
The name escapes me right now - but it's available from the Newsagent and it's Volume 3 - it's excellent.
AnswerID: 163179

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 19:07

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 19:07
Hi Ruth
Probably be down your way for Easter, Nothin' else to do and not going all the way to Brisbane just to see family for 2 days. Is your Coffee hot
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 417972

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 20:57

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 20:57
Coffee hot - milk fresh. See you whenever.
FollowupID: 418012

Reply By: Jodi - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:49

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:49
I have one at home that is called Camps Australia - I think that is what you are talking about. There is seperate book that has photo's of the camps listed by number in the first book. Great book and I think you can get it on this site. It doesn't list all the real 4WD spots that you really on find via the grapevine, however it lists most camp spots, $$, scenery, any local regulations and even what size vehicle can get in.
AnswerID: 163182

Reply By: Member - Tony W (VIC) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 17:06

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 17:06
camps 3 australia well worth the $$
cheers tony
AnswerID: 163186

Reply By: phantom - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 17:11

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 17:11
Jeez Mim,
You are a bit savage on our lovely parks in Mandurah. I agree that some are low cost residential parks and not special, but there are still some excellent ones around.
We use books that we bought at the local newagents called Free Camping Guide to WA. There are two in the set: one for North WA and one for South. They are set out like a road map and easy to use giving location and facilities.
Regards,
AnswerID: 163188

Reply By: Member - Jezza (NSW) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 17:33

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 17:33
Hi Mim,

Try this place - great first-hand, unbiased reports Australian Caravan Parks Reports

Cheers,
Jezza!MPG:15!
AnswerID: 163195

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 17:49

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 17:49
Gooday,
It is definitely Camps Australia Wide Version 3, came out April last year, really good publication, buy the spiral bound version, we have the camp snaps as well as they leave some to be desired in the detail on lots of places, this has helped us to identify some of them as we are not GPS enabled like many. You will save the cost of the book in a few weeks.
Cheers,
boroma604.
AnswerID: 163199

Reply By: Trevor W(Brisbane) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 19:00

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 19:00
Not a reply to your post but chasing info
We plan to fly to Perth and hire a Britz 2 wheel drive camper in June
All booked and now looking at all the maps and videos but we would appreciate a response on places you would recommend not to miss
3 weeks travelling- going sth along the coast then up to wave rock then up the coast probably as far as Munky Mia.Could you give us some good ideas on what not to miss.We enjoy National Parks and state forest camping.
Thanks
AnswerID: 163225

Reply By: Marc - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 19:30

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 19:30
Camping in Australia by Cathy Savage and Craig Lewis from boiling billy pub. and explorer australia series. Over 2500 campsites (free and low cost) all over australia. Not caravan parks but road side stops, National Parks, and government land campsites. Excellent and better by far. Current release is only a max of 2 years old info and well laid out with maps, info, approx cost, and more by direct from the authors and save
AnswerID: 163239

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 20:19

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 20:19
Yep -as others have said - Camps Australia Wide Version 3 - available everywhere - our motoring org in SA said its their biggest seller - NOTE that it is aimed at the budget conscious road traveller - you won't find the mainstream caravan parks in there - its all about tips for stopping overnight at low or zero cost.
Quote - "Rest areas - Free Camps - Nat Parks - State Forests and Parks - Low Cost Caravan Parks" - 3000+ listings.
AnswerID: 163272

Reply By: Trace 'n Marc - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 17:24

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 17:24
Hi.... Not that I'd expect anyone to remember me from sticking my nose in here quite some time ago... but I've found myself back here while researching free/bush camping sites to _finally_ christen our Freedom family touring tent that we _finally_ bought late last year. (Yes, we bought a Freedom). It must have been at least a year ago, if not more, I started researching that purchase via the Explore Oz forums...!!! - things move slowly in our family .. although we've not been bone idle...having bought a couple of tandem bikes and participated in the NSW Big Ride with our kids... another tangent altogether...yet I guess it still qualifies as "exploring Oz"!!!

Anyway I thought I'd stick my nose in again and post in this relatively current thread for two reasons because I was asking the same questions...

1) I found this site while googling away looking for somewhere to camp this coming weekend.... and it has some interesting places, with very detailed feedback in some places... (I just found it linked from the campsaustraliawide.com website as well, actually, however I didn't see it specifically mentioned in any of the free camping threads I searched in these forums!)

2) Does anyone know anything about camping at Bellbird Rest Area in the Mount Lindesay State Forest - about 5 km north east of Woodenbong up in the north of NSW? We have theBoiling Billy Publication - Camping Guide to New South Wales- 2nd Edition (2001)and it lists Bellbird.. however on this campsaustraliawide page that I stumbled across, it has a mention about it being closed.

I am trying to plan an experimental tent christening weekend heading from Coffs to Warwick (QLD)(for '"someone" to play touch footy in a tournament there on Saturday)... with the u-beaut quick put up new touring tent. (And, unfortunately the not so u-beaut Holden Commodore station wagon as our vehicle.. still haven't got round to making the 4WD purchase.) Thoughts were (if he can get Friday off work).. camping at Washpool NP on the way up.. and a day visit to Bald Rock NP (and walking to the summit) on the way back. If we drive up late Friday instead, we are looking for an easy overnight spot not far off the main road to chuck the tent up, such as Bellbird. Any tips/advice? Any recommendations on the 'nicest' caravan park to pick to stay in in Warwick.

This, of course is the problem with books! They go out of date more easily..

As I already dabble in personal webpages, I might start one similar to the around-oz one, but specifically for tenting it. If anyone would be interested in contributing to such a site re their tent camping, please drop me a line!

Meanwhile, I will make it an aim to join ExplorOz once I feel like a bona-fide Explore Ozer... !!!!

AnswerID: 168475

Sponsored Links