Kangaroo island

Submitted: Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 20:46
ThreadID: 32232 Views:2003 Replies:11 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am interested in going to Kangaroo Isalnd. We are travelling through SA in April and would like to take the kids to KI for a few days(3). Does anyone know the best place to base ourselves on KI?

Cheers
Scooter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 21:07

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 21:07
I am expecting to be on KI by mid to late April. Just going to play it by ear as I do with most of my tours, unless someone can reccommend somewhere speciic to stay. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 163294

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 21:21

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 21:21
We stayed at American River which is a great spot to stay although Kingscote is more cental and has more facilities. The island is a great place with lots to see and no matter where you base yourselves nothing is that far away. If you have kids check out Paul's Place, my kids loved it, Seal Bay is a must plus Flinders Chase NP.
AnswerID: 163299

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 07:30

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 07:30
We just got back from a long weekend camped at the Western KI Caravan Park just outside Flinder's Chase NP. Nice spot and they had some lovely cabins as well. It was full of wildlife with Kangaroos and Tamars all around the tent after dark.

KI is not that big that where you stop is an issue, we just planned our days to take in different parts.

Enjoy all the corrugations on the roads!

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 163371

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 07:37

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 07:37
Scooter
Make sure you book the ferry and brace yourself with the price, esp if towing anything. Penneshaw where the ferry land is a great little spot to stay. KI is beautiful place with heaps to see. Explorer the island and you and the kids will see heaps.

Crazie
AnswerID: 163372

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 07:47

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 07:47
Don't forget to support the cat Control Committee by purchasing some of their wonderful stubby holders. :)

AnswerID: 163374

Reply By: Rob Ackland - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 07:59

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 07:59
KI is a very nice place and there is plenty to see and do so allow 4-5 days for a leisurely time of it. Kingscote is the largest town on the island and has all facilities or if you are into camping I would suggest finding a spot at both the Eastern and Western ends of the Island as a base for a couple of days in each location. Flinders Chase has some excellent camping spots and the Lashmar conservation park has some good spots around the river if you can get in. April is a peak time with school holidays and Easter so I strongly suggest you ring the local tourist advisory spot to see what bookings there may be. I can assure you the camping spots go first. Also you will need to coordinate with the ferry and do that first as there is no sense in booking accommodation if you cannot get to it. Go to www.sealink.com.au or they have a 1800630878 number to dial. Yes the ferry trip is not cheap. The RAA of SA map is all you will need and there are plenty of visitors guides around that you can pick up on the island.

A few driving tips. Don't go out at night as there are plenty of animals around and you have a high chance of a strike. Take care on the dirt roads as they have a nice ball bearing surface which builds up on the corners and at intersections. We have seen plenty of people come to grief with too much speed for the situation and not judging the road surface well. Take your time you are on holiday.

Take the family to Seal Bay as something of an unforgettable moment for the kids and grown ups. Go and see the Ligurian bees and the sheep milk/cheese factory and the island is also growing a strong reputation for wine and high quailty local cheese and some native foods as well as some tasty spin-offs from the local fishing industry.

If you do make the trip I am sure you will enjoy it and no I don't work for their promotional team. But I am a regular visitor to the island for the simple reason that we enjoy the place and love relaxing to "island time"

Rob
AnswerID: 163377

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 17:43

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 17:43
Rob,

I will take one exception to your general comments matey.

I am not impressed with Seal Bay at all. It's been turned into a real tourist jaunt and you can only visit the beach area on a guided tour.

Admiral's Arch within Flinder's Chase provides much more in a superior environment to that at Seal Bay. Now that the Parks & Wildlife Service have "restricted" visitors to a boardwalk access around and down to the base of the Arch, people will see seals and sea-lions frolicking in their natural environment in the surf, or basking on the rocks in very close proximity.
Absolute nature at its best IMO.

I agree that both ends of the Island provide great camping in their own way.

At the Penneshaw end, it is possible to camp near a creek where both kids and grownups can fish for bream, or wander down to the beach front and fish for other species.

At the Flinders Chase end, what could be better for families than to camp in a National Park that has kangaroos and wallabies and koalas wandering around "annoying" you, or to join in a night time excursion "hunting" that elusive platypus.

The wild surf of the southern coastline has an allure of it's own and if the visitor is more so inclined, yes you could stay at the big Metropolis of Kingscote, KI. Don't expect any wild nightlife though, the wildest entertainment to be found here is the pokie room at the local pub, unless of course you are there for the annual K.I. horse racing carnival.

Yes, a visit to K.I. is a unique experience all of its own.

Touring Kangaroo Island

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 418195

Follow Up By: scooter - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 20:45

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 20:45
Rob
Many thanks for your detailed response. Very helpful and we look forward to enjoying the Island.

cheers

Scooter
FollowupID: 418233

Reply By: Gossy - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 09:20

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 09:20
any 4wding (low range etc) or is it maintained dirt roads that most cars can drive on?
AnswerID: 163386

Reply By: Rob Ackland - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 09:35

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 09:35
Gossy, Most of the roads on the island are trafficable by normal car, if dry. But there are a couple in Flinders Chase NP that are high clearance so OK for light RV's like Outbacks, RAV4 etc. About the only one that has any difficulty is the track out to Cape Hart at the Eastern end of the Island. It takes you into the Lesueur Conservation Park.

Rob
AnswerID: 163388

Reply By: Patrol22 - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 12:08

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 12:08
I was intending to include KI on my trip down the Murray, around the Coorong and then down the Border Track in Sep/Oct - but as we would have only had 2 days max, and given the HUGE cost of the ferry, I've decided to put that part of the trip on the back burner for another time when I've got a couple of weeks to make the cost of getting across that 20km of ocean worthwhile.
AnswerID: 163420

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 19:43

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 19:43
I was reading all and going to say don't just go for 2 or 3 days then got to this last comment. Good choice it is a waste of time to go there for only two days, also correct about the ferry once you pay out the price you may as well stay for a decent length of time. Fill a couple of weeks there no problem if you wanted to. We have been there to look after a friends house while they went away, were there for a month and we loved it.
cheers, Anne
FollowupID: 418219

Follow Up By: Graham & Ann - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 18:37

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 18:37
Like Patrol22 and Anne I think the cost of going over is too high for a couple of days, especially if you take a van or CT. We recently spent 3 weeks there, cost $530 for the ferry 2 adults, 4x4 and 17ft van. But if you do go enjoy it.

If you only have 3 days, I'd recommend calling into the Tourist Info centre at Penneshaw as you get off the ferry make your along checking out what you can (ie Pennington Bay worth a look and climb Prospect Hill visit Honey Farm) as you go along towards Kingscote spending 1st night there do Penquin walk/Pelican feeding 7 or8pm?. 2nd day leave early (8am ish) travel down to Western KI Caravan Park (Koalas, kangaroos & geese live in the park and it has a Koala walk, book cabin well ahead if you dont have your own van) on the way visit Seal Bay (sea-lions it's a must and not only for the kids) Little Sahara sand hills (next is Vivonne Bay but not worth a look in your time frame) then the Kelly Hill caves (if your into caves that is ) Hanson Bay is worth a look if it's a hot day for the kids to swim, then check into the Western KI Caravan Park have late lunch with the koalas then go onto the national Park Infocentre and down to Remarkable Rocks and then Admirals Arch (NZ seals here not as good as seal bay) latearvo early pm back towards the info centre and drive to Platypus Waterholes try your luck at spotting any. Back to Western KI Caravan Park for late tea. 3rd day up early head to Pauls Place by 12pm where kids can hold animals including koalas, then check out the beach at Stokes Bay, before you drive back to catch late ferry at Penneshaw.

Enjoy
FollowupID: 419930

Reply By: scooter - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 20:47

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 20:47
Many thanks to everyone for all the responses. Would love to stay longer than 3 days on KI but coming from NSW and with school holidays no such time permits.

cheers

Scooter
AnswerID: 163525

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 22:16

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 22:16
Hi We stayed in a house at Emu Bay and travelled about from there, Whatever you do, don't miss "Paul's Place" if you have kids its an experience to behold.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 164644

Sponsored Links