Back from Fraser Island

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 16:08
ThreadID: 32261 Views:1731 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Just back from Fraser Island and since much help was gathered from here, decided to report on the trip.

First of all, it's impresive how easy can the trip be with the right preparation and care. It's also amazing the amount of ill-prepared tourists on the island.

In our time there, I saw one roll-over (you gessed it was a troopy full of backpackers) and two cars seriously bogged. In most cases we concluded that it was either the drivers (probably untrained) of the vehicles fault (one bogged troopy had a non-working front diff, so was really in 4x2 even in L4).

We took the Mantaray from Inskip point, great service and very helpful and friendly people. Arrived to the island on low tide and had now problem driving thru the beach up to eurong where we turn inland to our final camp in Central Station.

Most tracks where reasonably firm after couple of weeks of rain, with a couple of exceptions. Track to moon point was really soft (scary at times) but with lowered tyre pressures didn't become an issue.

The pass on Indian Head to Champagne Pools/Wady Point was probably the softest sand in the island (what we saw of it anyway) with at least axle deep soft sand. Here we helped a Prado that got bogged... it is amazing how much worst can it become if you keep spining your wheels after stuck. We followed the advise and used Low Range and a bit of momentum to get thru without any dramas.

Only thing remaining is to seriously thank everyone who help us have a great time on one of the most beutiful places I've ever been.

Cheers,

Henry.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 16:14

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 16:14
Henry,
Thanks for getting back to us with your trip report... I for one always enjoy reading of others adventures!

And yes, Fraser Island is definitately one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen as well!!!

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 163457

Reply By: Brian B (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 16:34

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 16:34
Hey henry,

Great to hear you guys had a good trip.

It certainly is a special place that's for sure.
AnswerID: 163459

Reply By: Rodos - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 18:57

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 18:57
Henry what was your setup?
AnswerID: 163488

Sponsored Links