Lenthall Dam near Maryborough

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 16:43
ThreadID: 32264 Views:4281 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know if camping is permitted at the lake. Camps Australia3 lists a site (No 148) that it calls Lenthal Dam. The water authority (that control's the dam) web site says camping is available in Wongi State Forest, which I think is a bit further away and is listed separately in CA3. It is not stated, but this seems to suggest that camping is not permitted by the water.

Any locals know about this. I'm looking at spending a couple of days in the area and thought I'd take the canoe to try a bit of fishing in the dam. I normally carry the canoe on the CT, but if I have to travel a fair way from the camp site to the dam, I need to put the roof racks on as well (and convince my lovely wife to help me lift it on the 4B).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: scottp - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 17:23

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 17:23
I was up there at easter last year and had to camp at wongi as the existing camping sites at the dam were having a refirbishment. Wongi hads good swimming but I recall that the rangers said that there would be no more campfires permitted in the wongi camp areas.

I can't tell you if the dam sites were actually reopened or not!
AnswerID: 163468

Reply By: Bob - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 18:01

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 18:01
The National Parks mob have taken over the management of Wongi State Forest campground.
The result is disasterous as is usually the case when the Nat parks mob get control.
Used to be one of our favourite sites.
Firewood supplied, plenty of fireplaces, drinking quality water, rubbish bins etc.
Now all fireplaces have been removed and campfires are banned.
No firewood of course.
No rubbish bins.
No drinking quality water, signs warn not to drink the tank water.
So take your gas stove to sit around while you have an after dinner red.
Do it while you can, they will probably ban drinking next.

Regards
Bob
AnswerID: 163474

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 20:51

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 20:51
Thanks guys. I thought as much.
The water authority web site says they have plans to re establish camping facilities with a caretaker at some time in the future. I won't hold my breath and it seems like the previous free camping will be gone if they ever open a new facility.

I'll still go up and check it out while in the area, but might leave the canoe at home.

Another great spot crossed off the shrinking list.
AnswerID: 163527

Sponsored Links