Does it really ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 18:15
ThreadID: 32268 Views:2108 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Wanting to repack the wheel bearings, my manual tells me the rear can be done similarly to the front but the local mechanic reckons the rear need to be replaced with new ones as the oil in the rear diff lubricates them??????????

I'm glad I spoke to him on the phone because the look on my face was somewhat distorted.

Can anyone share some light on this. I have an 80 series. While I’m here, doing the diff breathers the other day was straight forward but the gearbox/transfer breather is a real bugger to get to so I left it ! Do you reckon I should do something in that department also. At the moment, the breather is relatively high anyway (just behind the firewall halfway up).

BTW, 26 days to go !!!!!!!!!! Going from Sydney town up to the Cape then Darwin, Alice, SA, VIC high country and all surrounding areas. Got 4 months to play with. Bless long service leave !!!!!!!!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 19:24

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 19:24
I would think that is how the rear wheel bearings are lubricated, they are not tapered or adjustable either I don't recall, held onto the axle by a shrunk on collar...
AnswerID: 163493

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 19:32

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 19:32
The rear wheel bearings on an 80 are supposed to be repacked with grease (not HTB, use Castrol APX or similar) at regular intervals just like the fronts.
different tool and system to lock them but seals and bearings are the same.
AnswerID: 163496

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 20:32

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 20:32
Damien,

Would query your mechanic's credentials, or his advice. 80 series rear brgs are grease packed, as Peter said. What I've found is if the inner axle seal wears then the diff oil can leak out through either the axle gasket, or in extreme case, the grease seal. Good practice to change the inner seal every time you repack the brgs, both front and rear.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 163519

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 20:41

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 20:41
Damian,
The bearings are NOT fitted to the rear axle as in normal cars and Patrols but are fitted to the axle housing. The axle can be removed from the diff by undoing the 6 nuts that connect the axle flange to the hub(which is carried on the bearings. Hence if you break and axle all you lose is the drice to that wheel where as in a normal rear wheel drive car or a Patrol the wheel and broken axle fall off. Having said that I have never heard of an axle breaking on a Patrol although I have done one on a normal car.
AnswerID: 163523

Sponsored Links