Tip's about crossing the Simpson Dessert towing camper trailer?

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 17:49
ThreadID: 3227 Views:2717 Replies:12 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are a trip to the Simpson Desert in July. We have a 2000 model
Nissan 4.2 turbo diesel. The camper we intend to take weigh's 1750kg.
We have all the recovery gear.Such as winches, strap's ,shovel's.
We have just got Rancho 9000's put on the Patrol. Which in actual fact
gives it a two and a half inch lift. The total being 3 inches.
We have just invested in a Satelite phone. We think we've thought of
everything.
Does anybody have any tip's or idea's maybe that we haven't thought of . Any imput would be appreciated.
THANK'S DARREN & JOANNE
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 18:12

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 18:12
nissan42t,
I have been through the Simpson and I know that towing a trailer is frowned upon by the Rangers.
Expect a hefty $ penalty if you need rescueing from Birdsville.

Towing a 1750KG camper through the desert is asking for trouble in my opinion, especially if the weather changes and you get flooded out.

Take swags or a tent and enjoy your trip without the camper.

Regards,

Dave.
AnswerID: 12491

Reply By: Clarry - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 18:20

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 18:20
Not your fault mate, but you are trying to pry the lid of a big can of worms here....and this story has been thrashed ragged previously. Try a search here....you should turn up the previous banter....lot of good input from many users as I recall. Your trailer sounds too heavy to me for soft sandhills.
AnswerID: 12492

Reply By: Member - Peter- Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 18:40

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 18:40
I done a number of Simpson crossings. If there hasn't been much rain and the sand is soft, I would be very concerned about towing a trailer of that weight. The suspension will take a real pounding as you maintain the necessary momentum to climb up the dunes in soft, moving sand. I would explore all alternatives to towing the trailer if it was me.

If you are going to tow it, I would also recommend that you cross West to East (towards Birdsville) - the slope on the dunes is more gradual.
AnswerID: 12495

Follow Up By: Will - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:06

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:06
Peter,
You quote:
"If you are going to tow it, I would also recommend that you cross West to East (towards Birdsville) - the slope on the dunes is more gradual."
Not anymore, we did it last year and the slopes from west to east were extremely chopped up and full of holes requiring very slow approaches.

Will

FollowupID: 7309

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 19:08

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 19:08
Try here too theres lots just come back from that way.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/campertrailers
AnswerID: 12498

Reply By: Glen - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 21:08

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 21:08
Darren & Joanne.
Hi Are you sure you have the correct weight of the trailer.1750kgs is a heavy trailer for a camper trailer.If you have never been across the Simpson before I would be doing it the first time without a trailer.
Yes it will open up a big can of worms here about trailers over the Simpson. I have crossed the desert every which way towing a camper weighing approx 850kgs with a modiefied turbo nissan GQ and still would not recommened it unless you are well veresed in towing off road and have driven thoes conditions before without a trailer.
The people that go out to the desert with their garden trailer overloaded and underpowered towing vehicle give the rest of the towing community who know what they are doing a bad name.
Driving up the dunes in the Simpson is not always a easy thing to do and you really only want to drive each dune once because the more times you get stuck and have to back down the harder the track gets for everyone. The biggest thing is LET YOUR TYRES DOWN . That everyone will agree too.
Have a good trip what ever you decide.
Glen.
AnswerID: 12503

Reply By: Eric - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 23:26

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 23:26
My tip is DON'T do it have consideration for others, the track is busy with lots off vehicles per hour you will cause a massive string off angry drivers to form behind you as you try to back and re run dunes. Eric.
AnswerID: 12512

Reply By: voxson - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 07:57

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 07:57
I cant even start to imagine how awquard it would be to back down sand dunes with a 1½+ tonne trailer........
I am only going by the sand dunes at ngarkat desert with "S" bends in the tracks up the dunes.....
AnswerID: 12520

Reply By: Will - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:14

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:14
Darren,
I crossed the simpson last year from west to east with a Nissan GU 4.2TD same as yours.
It was a breeze, very enjoyable but I did not tow a trailer... I swagged it...
I probably would not tow a trailer across the Simpson, it is a magic place to enjoy with a swag... It gets cold at night but it is just beautiful.
We did come across some people towing trailers, one was a very heavy trailer and experienced tour operator.
On some dunes this tour operator did not even try to tow the trailer up the dune, he simply pulled up and snatched it up all the way.
If you do decide to take the trailer make sure you have a good hook on the trailer and something for the draw bar to skid on....
Will
AnswerID: 12529

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 12:16

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 12:16
Hi Darren & Joanne,

Your trailer sound a bit heavy! Are you sure you have the weight right? I only say this because we've had 2 campertrailers now and neither came close to the weight you are mentioning fully laden. Friends are heading off around Oz next week with there large campertrailer, packed for 12 mths, 100L water, jerry cans etc, 2 ad, 2 ch. Trailer weight about 1250kg.

If your weight is correct, I would be concerned about travelling in soft sand. You have a very capable tow vehicle but even so...

I know several people who have towed well set-up, purpose built offroad camper trailers across the Simpson and none experienced any problems. Some in the campertrailer group have done it sans trailer but feedback has been that they found it pretty easy and next time would consider taking their trailers.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 12540

Reply By: fred - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 18:02

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 18:02
We did the trip without trailer last July
Had quite a few dunes where we needed 2 or 3 tries - tyres were at 20psi
If the sand is a soft as last year and the dunes as rough [caused by trailers?] - good luck on reversing the trailer back down the dunes
AnswerID: 12565

Reply By: ThePublican - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 20:21

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 20:21
1750kg, hope your reversing skills are A1, have seen many a lighter combination still have trouble, if starting from east try easy 'red ' first then real 'BIG RED' ,if you can get over in 1 or 2 the rest is a piece of cake, if not your recovery wont be .
AnswerID: 12574

Reply By: Jol Fleming - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 21:02

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 21:02
Hi Daren and Joanne,

I have a few questions re crossin the desert, I do a trip every year and tow a trailer, it can be tricky but possible. I have taken my Falcon Ute across it 5 times.

Are the Wheels on the trailer the same wheelbase as the Nissan??

Can you reduce the weight about 300Kg??

What size tyres have you on both vehicle and trailer. I'm doing the trip in July with a group if your keen, direct4wd.com.au will get me. I reckon you can and I'd try,

Cheers Jol
AnswerID: 12577

Sponsored Links