Gulf Country

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 21:36
ThreadID: 32280 Views:1590 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Biggest flooding in 100 years eh...

Having not much experience of the Gulf Country i thought id get some advice from those
that have travelled that country.

I know its always a gamble but what are the chances of the Gulf track being
'open' any time soon? What sort of time frame can be expected for the flood
waters to drop and these areas to become passable if theres no more rain/cyclones? ( in know a big if!)

We are planning a trip and are trying to get an idea of when will be feasible given the current conditions.

cheers.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bj_cruiser - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 16:51

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 16:51
early may sound at all feasible with current conditions?
AnswerID: 163676

Reply By: robsil - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 19:46

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 19:46
My brother lives at gregory downs,not bad where he is (all be it out of rum)some of the rivers 80 ks wide . He can not get my niece back to normanton, the road is under water so it will take some time to dry out.
AnswerID: 163705

Reply By: Member - Tim - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 23:13

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 23:13
Hi bj,

We are going to try to get through to Burketown next Monday. Have been talking to various people up there over the last couple of days and the water is dropping. Apparently the road from Gregory Downs up to Burketown should be ok and from Gregory Downs across to the Burke and Wills roadhouse has some flooding about 600 deep. The biggest flooding was in the Leichardt River with some in the Flinders and the Norman. This means that the roads towards the east, Normanton, Augustus Downs and such are the ones really bad. Apparently some travellers are going to try and get back from Burketown tomorrow and I should get a report tomorrow night on wether they got through or not.

We have been looking forward to this trip for ages. Hoping to catch my first Barra so it had better dry out :).

Tim.
AnswerID: 163769

Follow Up By: bj_cruiser - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 06:30

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 06:30
thanks mate, always good to hear from those from the area.
i look forward to hearing from you tonight.

do you mean people are trying to get back from Burketown west or east?

bj.
FollowupID: 418567

Follow Up By: Member - Tim - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 17:41

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 17:41
Hi bj,

I'm not a local from up there as we are in Brisbane. I have been talking to the caravan park and they have been talking to the council etc etc. Burketown is not very big :).

Haven't heard yet but will post later tonight if I do. Madly trying to get the new boat trailer ready and everything else packed at the moment as we are planning to leave Saturday morning.

Tim.
FollowupID: 418715

Reply By: Member - Tim - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 22:16

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 22:16
Well we leave in the morning. Got the call this morning that people are getting through. Should dry even more by Monday which is when we will actually be travelling the last bit.

Hope to post some fish photos in a couple of weeks :).

Tim.
AnswerID: 164169

Sponsored Links