Re: Post 32286 Trailers in the Simpson Desert

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 15:34
ThreadID: 32308 Views:2500 Replies:3 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
With regard to the above Post if you look in the DPP 2006 in the section on Simpson Desert Regional Reserve and Simpson Desert Conservation Park in the right hand column it states:
'it is strongly recommended that travellers avoid towing trailers across the Simpson Desert.' 'Some thoughtless drivers of trailer towing vehicles create damage by diverting from the designated tracks, cutting new paths in a bid to gain better traction. This is causing damage to vegetation and is creating severe dune erosion.'

Further, on the left hand column if states:
'It is recommended that if you are travelling the SD for the first time that you cross the parks from west to east to take advantage of the more gentle upslope to most dunes. The Rig Road is a l onger and more accessible route but is still very sandy on the crests of the dunes. Only vehicles with reasonably high clearance should tackle any of the crossings.'

This is because with the extreme dry and high dry winds of the summer of 2005/2006 there is almost no moisture in the dunes and the crests are extremely high shifting sand. This morning Queensland National Parks have gone out to attempt the QAA to Poepple's Corner and will let me know on their return on Friday. If no rains happen the SD will be a big challenge to all.

There was Joint Meeting in Birdsville yesterday of SA National Parks, Qld National Parks, SA Police and Qld Police to discuss various issues with the Simpson Desert, in particular, summer crossings of the Desert.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 16:12

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 16:12
Oh, OK I found it too....LOL Must've been dark when I was reading it.

I take it all back National Parks. SORRY!

With reference to softer sand I imagine that only the crests will remain soft for a while. Lower tyre pressures should suffice. But then again there are lots of novices and other illuminae with different ideas.

When I approached Big Red in July'87 in a Suzuki 1300 the last 50 metres of the dune was a sand blow. There were ni signs of vehicular traffic for a while. I presumed that other vehicles we met had been using the chicken run to the north.I was running low on fuel and could not risk the distance though mustve used a litre or two getting over BR.

I eventually had my tyres down to 14psi but still did not have the power to get over, so right at that point on the 5th attempt I turned right at an angle and managed to get traction over some spinifex (this is most likely what the NP people are talking about) and at around 6000revs got over the dune. My mate in another Suzuki 1300 followed my tracks and I believe that that is the track to the right of where the usual crossing now is. BTW Little Red crossing was non existent in those years.

CYA in the desrt, Ruth xxxxxx

Cheers
AnswerID: 163668

Reply By: Barnesy - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 16:36

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 16:36
Haven't done SD yet but when I do i will follow advice of National parks and wildlife. Seems like many people have problems with them but they have the interest of the bush at hand, if people don't like it then too bad.

I have read articles from editors of some 4wd magazines placing arguments against NP & W saying it does minimal damage to dunes with trailers. That the comfort and convenience of travellers comes before anything else.

They also advocated in favour of having campfires to 'enhance the bush experience'. Neglecting the fact that wood is scarce in deserts and whatever wood there is provides habitat for wildlife. Irresponsible.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 163672

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 16:54

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 16:54
Barnesy

While I agree with most of what you say I would like to point ot that there is probably more wood in the Simspon that some of the Tasmanian Forests (now I will wait for a barrage of protest ).

I do like a fire but I like to keep it minimal and burn only small ampunts of wood. Yes, some little creatures do live in the dry logs. However, have you thought of how many ants you may kill each day while walking(or driving for that matter)?

Cheers
FollowupID: 418434

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 17:31

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 17:31
If you keep the fires small then it is pretty easy to carry enough wood from outside the SD in a convoy to have a fire each night. I've seen many people carry a small sack of fire wood from home or other location in each vehicle.
FollowupID: 418448

Follow Up By: Member - shad D (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 21:02

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 21:02
if you carry wood from outside off SD isn't that just adding more weight to your vehicle and then creating more erosion ?and does it really matter where the wood is from because it was probally a home for something,not that i am against fires.
I also tow a trailer because i would rather pull the weight and have it spread over 6 wheels than have a top heavy unstable vehicle.
FollowupID: 418515

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 21:12

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 21:12
I don't think a few kilos of wood in a 3 tonne vehicle will casue any extra errosion. Firewood from home or another firwood pile is hardly a habitat unless for geckos. while there is no shortage of timber in the SD, I think you will find it takes some time to grow there. Elsewhere it doesn't take so long. Also in the SD such habitat is critical compared to for example a rainforest.

I have burned timber in the SD, just making an observation, that perhaps we could all consider. Not a zealot, just keen to preserve what we have in the SD.
FollowupID: 418520

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 02:15

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 02:15
The simpson is vast with only a small fraction of a percent of it being regulary Travelled I doubt many people travel far off the track or away from the campsite to collect wood so I think the de wooding of the Simpson would be a very self limiting thing in the overall scheme of things. Personally I carry a gas stove. takes up less room and weighs less than byo firewood. If I pull up and I am short for time or their is no wood easily available then I have the stove otherwise I wont think 2wice about having a campfire
FollowupID: 418560

Follow Up By: Barnesy - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 14:58

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 14:58
It comes back to the same issue, 5% of fools create 10 times the damage as the other 95% or responsible users.

At the end of the day people picking up firewood as they travel and clearing a path either side of the track won't do much harm.

But what happens when it's all gone and there isn't any wood to be seen from the track? People will actively go searching for wood to 'enhance their bush experience', creating new tracks.

How long woud NP&W put up with this until they ban collecting of firewood like they have in just about every other NP in the country?

Barnesy
FollowupID: 418671

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 16:27

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 16:27
Exactly, I think the key here is that tho we know the impact is small, we should endeavour if it is possible to keep the impact as small as possible. This will in the end paint 4wders as responsible citizens whereas the above scenario will do the opposite. As I said I have burned wood in the Simpson and probably will again, but if I can bring some of it from home I do.
FollowupID: 418696

Follow Up By: 120scruiser - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 12:29

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 12:29
Hello Shad
I didn't realise you were a member here
Nice looking rig
It looks familiar especially the logo on the rear window.
Thanks for the free advertising
Cheers
Scott
FollowupID: 419125

Follow Up By: Member - shad D (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 17:52

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 17:52
Hi Scott,
I am just looking at all these forums about the simpson, we would like to cross it next year with our camper trailer,not sure if we can do it or not but i am sure the car and trailer are capable.
sorry i have taken your logo off the back window now.
see you on fraser
shad.
FollowupID: 419165

Reply By: Member - Stephen L- Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 12:00

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 12:00
Hi Ruth,
It's not long now to our double crossing, the long hard way. Have you heard from Don on how they got on for their QAA run,

Regards

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 164372

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 13:41

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 13:41
Stephen, NP blokes had an 'interesting' trip to Poepples and back - hard slog, and as a result, SA National Park sent a Desert Parks Notice which states :
'Only drivers with plenty of sand driving experience should attempt - lighten the loads - and prepare to dig - and be prepared to take days longer than normal'.
Yesterday, 13 vehicles (two lots - 9 in one and 4 vehicles in other group) left here to cross east to west - all from Victoria. So they should have plenty of stories to tell when they return to Victoria. The weather is glorious - 16 overnight and about 32 (maybe not even that - no a/c on in the house). Flies still friendly.
I didn't bother to post after the NP boys got back - most people seem to get snotty when I post about the Simpson so will only reply to specific questions in the future but happy to answer emails. See you when you get here - ready for adventure.
FollowupID: 419255

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 16:06

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 16:06
Ruth,

Once again thank you for your valuable information. I plan to be in the Simpson a couple of times this year. Sounds like it will be interesting. Had someone asking about taking a trailer across the other day. My reply was "If I was you I wouldn't" Your information abou the state of the dunes and other information really helps us keep in touch with the changing face of the desert

Cheers
David

FollowupID: 419267

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 18:01

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 18:01
David, looking forward to seeing you lots this year - email me privately on:
ruthdoyle@growzone.com.au
FollowupID: 419284

Sponsored Links