RASTER ELECTRONIC MAPPING

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 20:37
ThreadID: 3231 Views:1457 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
HELLO ALL. I HAVE A GARMIN 12 GPS AND I WOULD LIKE TO BUY THE RASTER SYSTEM. Q1 HAS ANYONE USED THIS BEFORE? Q2 IS IT EASY TO USE? Q3 CAN YOU PLUG THE GPS INTO THE COMPUTER AND TRANSFER DATA DIRECTLY INTO THE GPS? CHEERS......
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Spanner - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 23:38

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 23:38
Is there a web site for Raster Electronic Mapping? Haven't seen it before.

Have you looked at Oziexplorer (www.oziexplorer.com)? I've been using it for years & love it. I'm an IT guy so I find it easy to use. Non IT people seem to use it ok too though. Ozi will work with the GPS 12 ok & you can down/upload routes, tracks & waypoints easilly. Lots of cheapish maps around for it too.

Cheers

Spanner
AnswerID: 12514

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 23:58

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 23:58
Hi Jeff

I use TrackRanger. It's very powerful, easy to use, and can automatically search for and load maps to match your current position. I find the best feature about TrackRanger is it's ability to be used in a vehicle on the move. I think it's easier to learn than oziexplorer, while still having the same moving map features.

I turn TrackRanger onto AutoPilot, and it just keeps displaying my position, speed, direction etc, no matter where I am.

I can upload and download GPS data to TrackRanger, quickly add and edit waypoints, measure distances etc, and I can print all my travel information. maps, trip route etc when I return home.
AnswerID: 12516

Reply By: Old Soldier - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 21:32

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 21:32
G'day Jeff,

I have used the Auslig raster 250K map series on CD for some time now and have been considering Oziexplorer to run with.

Interested in Steve's reply as I have also been looking closely at the "Trackmaster" system of late, as they seem to have a great system on the go - especially their latest version.

I note on their website that there is also an updated version of the Auslig Raster 250K CD series of maps availbable.[more money to spend :) :) ]

Seems to be the way to go

Have a look at their website on:

http://www.advantechdesign.com.au/trackview.html

Hope this is of some help

enjoy the bush

DennisN
AnswerID: 12578

Reply By: Topcat - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 22:22

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 22:22
Hi Jeff, I run a Magellan GPS & OziEplorer software on my laptop. I have downloaded the Raster System into OziEplorer's Data Bank & run it all the time when I'm travelling. The moving map works fine & uploading & downloading from the GPS is a breeze. OziEplorer has a very good help file which is easy to understand when setting the system up plus you get excellent backup advice from Des Newman the designer of the program if you have a problem. It also has the ability of allowing you to scan maps of your own & configering them into the program. Good value for money I say. Cheers.
AnswerID: 12583

Reply By: Topcat - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 22:26

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 22:26
Correction to my last. The program is OziExplorer which will allow you to use the Raster Map Series in. For more info the URL is: www.oziexplorer.com
Cheers Again.
AnswerID: 12584

Sponsored Links