Any read Bush Tracks of Victoria

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 19:34
ThreadID: 32319 Views:2133 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking for a book that talks about the desert tracks in Big and Little Deserts and the VIC-SA Border Track. Found this one (Bush Tracks of Victoria-Spiral Bound) by Ron and Viv Moon on ExplorOz but the description talks about the general area(s) and not the tracks. I probably will buy it anyway but would appreciate some advice on its applicability to the areas I mentioned above.
Also thinking about "Mallee Tracks - A Guide to South Australian & Victorian Mallee" by Nickolls and Angel - would also welcome some advice on it in respect of the Border Track etc.
Thanks
Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor M (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:46

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:46
Hi Pete,

I have the second book you mentioned (Mallee Tracks). It's not a bad read if you are into flora and local history etc but it spends very little time on what most would refer to as the Border Track (the section between Pinnaroo and Bordertown). The Border Track actually goes much farther and the references in the book are often to other parts (ie North of Pinnaroo). I have travelled this farther North section and also on the track South of Bordertown into Little Desert NP and found both quite different but not challenging in a 4WD sense. The 1 way section is a good drive but closed for the summer months.

As a book I wouldn't say it was 4WD focussed if that is what you are after. If you were in SA I would lend it to you if you want. (your screen name would indicate you at least don't drive one of those "other" vehicles)

Hope that helps

Trev
AnswerID: 163724

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 21:18

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 21:18
Pete currently the best map of the area is the 'Victoria's Deserts 4WD touring guide'. The Mallee tracks book you mention is full of general imfo but the trip notes as always seem to miss a few of the good tracks. It is however probably the most up to date. If you can get a hold of an old copy of the 'Australian Geographic' map it contains much interesting imfo written all over it refering to the history & features of the area.
Cheers Craig...........
AnswerID: 163745

Reply By: Lachie - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 09:14

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 09:14
Pete
There is a big fold out pamphlet from the DSE called Mallee aTracks. It has covers Horsham to past Broken Hill. Shep to Murray Bridge. The tracks are not named though. A goodone on the big desert is a pamphlet called Big desert state forest 4wd touring map also from the DSE.
Lachie
AnswerID: 163829

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 10:29

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 10:29
The best book I've seen is Brian Sheedy's Discovering Mallee Country.
Published 1993 by Roadwrite Publishing

It's a bit old 1993, maybe out of print now but the treks and tracks which he describes in detail are still all there.
AnswerID: 163847

Follow Up By: Member - Des - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 12:32

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 12:32
This book and two others by Brian Sheedy are also available in a single volume (I've forgotten the name of it). Check out a good map/book shop like Map Land, Info Vic etc.

Ron Moon's book is a collection of 30 4WD trips in different parts of Vic. It has the Border Track and several others in western Vic. Some of them have been published in 4x4 Aust mag as "Nissan treks", and are available on the Nissan web site.

Murray White's book, Off the beaten track, also has several trips in western Vic. Personally I prefer his guide to Moon's, which is more of the TL, TR, PSA, etc type. I find navigating is not usually a great problem if you have decent maps - what you want is more of a description.
FollowupID: 418644

Reply By: Patrol22 - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 16:32

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 16:32
Thanks everyone - great info as one has come to expect on this site.

Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 163900

Sponsored Links