tinny on hilux, how big?

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:00
ThreadID: 32321 Views:2685 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, just curious, ive a dual cab hilux, with a custom built canopy on its back, steel frame and 2m rack, what would be the biggest size tinny to put on top of her, mind you i want to head cape york (crocks) and so on.....
Also was thinking about ripping the back seat out and building a cabinet for motor and some other storage areas in the back there, thoughts?

In terms of off road its got dif lock front and back, lift kit, and others so its capable of some good work!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bros 1 - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:14

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:14
troyza,
Been on a trip up the tip of the Cape where one of the party had a Dual Cab Hilux with a 12 ft tinny upside down on top and no problem. The frame used to stick out over the cab. Ensure that your frame is strong enough. I will try and find out what size box steel it was made out of. The back seat sounds like a good storage area. No fuel though.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 163712

Reply By: troyza - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 21:28

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 21:28
Cheers bros,
Thatd be bloody great, ide be up for the 12ft just thought itd be to high and wide up there, but good shade on the cab, is that your trailer, no worries with that behind ya out bush?
AnswerID: 163748

Follow Up By: Bros 1 - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 11:34

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 11:34
troyza,
The trailer is a semi off road camper trailer. Called a SEMI OFF ROAD by the manufacturer. It is not your dinki-di off road C/T as such but has been to Bathurst Bay once with no problem. Last year it done the CQ-Boulia-Bedouri-Birdsville-Miles-CQ trip with the only problem being a spring centre bolt broken which needed replacing with the spare spring that i carry. Havn't found out what size box used on the Hilux canopy yet, but think it was 25x25.
Cheers,
Bros.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 418636

Reply By: Bros 1 - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 20:06

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 20:06
troyza,
Yes the frame was made from 25 x 25 box and went to the Cape and back.
Cheers,
Bros.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 163952

Reply By: Leroy - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 20:45

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 20:45
I carried a Stacer Seasprite 3.50 and a 15hp Merc in the back of the tray. The boat was supported by only the racks I made up for the tray and was positioned fairly evenly on them. As a result there is a bit of overhang on the rear. I did this because I didn't want the boat resting on a roof rack on the cab. The tub and cab move independantly.
I made a stand that bolted to the back of the tub and the floor for the motor. I thought it better that it was upright.
I pulled the rear seat out and cut a ply base out to go in it's place. I mounted my fridge to this.
This is what I did with my dual cab for my cape trip.

Leroy
AnswerID: 163965

Follow Up By: troyza - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 06:58

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 06:58
Yeh that sounds great, maby ill have to make it hang over the back like you did, was gonna sit it over the cab. Was gonna put the motor in the back (cab), locked up and at a good height to get out, next to that is a large storage box so the dog can still sit on it, gotta take him, guess it frees up room in the back also, but a fridge, wasnt gonna pack it, maby i should!!!
FollowupID: 418825

Follow Up By: Leroy - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 08:15

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 08:15
you can put a padlock through the 'handles' that you do up to attach the motor to the boat/stand.
wouldn't go north or anywhere for that matter without my fridge.....what were you thinking!! lol

Leroy
FollowupID: 418845

Sponsored Links