Mac's..OS X..GPS software..Answered the call !

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 08:05
ThreadID: 32338 Views:2177 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We run 8 to 10 (depending on if we can get staff..may have to "import some") PC computors for work,but,for my own use I use I have three Macs and a Mac notebook all on Mac OS x 10.3.9 as I prefer them fot the heavy video (FCP) and Photoshop fun I have..G.P.S software to run on these is available from www.macgpspro.com Cost is just $50 US Running Mac's? Check out the demo..Otherwise you may be just another lost voice crying out in the wilderness of life....!MPG:6!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 08:08

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 08:08
Thanks for that. As photographer, I use Mac too.
AnswerID: 163809

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 08:35

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 08:35
Hi David 0 ! Noticed how we have all these dollars "left over" 'cause things just got cheaper or are no longer needed? In my case,I used to spend around $2000 on Kodachrome™ and processing,postage etc (Racket! Come back from an adventure with 10 slide films and had to post each on in a seperate bag at $3.50 ea)..Then there were hundreds of dollars in slide carasols (mags) to use them in the projector..All up I got a pay rise of $3,000 a year just because I don't buy these items anymore..All scanned onto CD's..All 18,000 Tiffs.The savings continue..My first Toshiba DVD player (modified at factory to do all world areas) cost $ 1,250..Won't do MP3's etc now.We can buy 25 now for that price that do -/+ mp3's Kodak's etc..CD / DVD burners..Pick them up for a song at Woolies or Dick's place (we have both here in Emerald,Qld)..Film! What's that (processing was a envioremental disaster..banned in some areas of UK 'less had a closed circuit system)..Now have enough Sony™ mem-stiks & flash cards to take thousands of pix,burn onto CD/DVD,wipe,then start all over again..Nothing to buy..Photo printers..Dirt cheap..I save hundreds on ink..Use "hospital patient" type ink bulk bottles thru tubes to printer head..Buy DSE photo paper cheap,but great at Dick's place(Owned by Wollies anyway)DigiCams..Prices dropping,quality and pixels rising..It's a worry! What are we going to with all the dollars we save :-) Life's fun.Hey!
FollowupID: 418604

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 08:44

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 08:44
I used to write and shoot (freelance) for cycling magazines particularly Mountain Bike. A typical World Cup or World Championships shoot would be 20 plus rolls of Fuji Velvia or Provia at $40/roll developed.

You had to write a stack of articles to pay for the film!

I also used to get pretty creative with the shooting angles and pioneered the use of a 20mm lens to shoot mountain bike downhill events, holding the camera at arms length while panning (with flash). I see lots of MTB photogs using this technique now. In the film days the risk was too high for most, they needed to get the shot, and you had no idea if you got it until the film was developed. Now with digital they all take the risk.

Thank god for digital!
FollowupID: 418608

Reply By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 08:53

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 08:53
I've heard rumours that Garmin are about to release products that natively support Mac OSX as well..... on both device hardware and software levels. Good news indeed!
AnswerID: 163826

Reply By: Wombat - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 09:38

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 09:38
Viva le Revolution!
AnswerID: 163832

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 15:49

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 15:49
Our mate Omaroo mentioned the now known fact,that,because Apple computors are spreading into all walks of life,(that statement is my vers.,not his) Garmin™ are releasing their new range of GPS units which will be very Mac friendly. I am waiting to grab one of those..Magic! Re iPhoto,you will no doubt be aware that that "The Shark" does'nt use the quality of golf sticks that come from "The Warehouse" "Sollys" (they would suit my golf non-ability)etc.Same goes for the s/w you,maybe,ought to have used on the Mac platform.In my case I use iPhoto a lot,yet,for my total database of pix,I use iView™ and 25g of pix to it would be just "chicken feed" So far I have 18,000 pix with all key worded,on it..Sure it cost me,but not much,when time saved is thrown into the equasion.Can even find pix by percentage of color.Say for instance,we have just done the Tanami..Blue will be the main color..Computor platforms are not a ego issue here as we already run lots of PCs,incl. lappies..We will continue to use PC's for our mundane POS,Accounts,Stock etc.but for real pleasure of use,performance and sheer long term stability,I stay with the OS X platform and the associated professional software.Same goes for iMovie HD which I use often,with pleasure,but,for my non family/friends vids I use Apple™ Final Cut Pro® "Which-ever way the wind blows" what-ever that means:-)
"A goodsman never blames his tools" I always try to remember."but I'm not a tradsman!".....
FollowupID: 418952

Reply By: V8Diesel - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 19:42

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 19:42
Nothing runs on Mac except for the bog ordinary applications (eg: Auslig maps, OziExplorer, sat imagery, etc etc etc). I've got a very expensive and dusty G4 Powerbook 'paperweight' at home. Used Mac's for years myself, wife has 10 or so and a dual processor G5 (she's creative director of a publishing house) so I am well versed in them.

Virtual PC is a con too FWIW.

Out of sheer frustration I bought a cheap PC - hey presto...everything works! Saved my marriage going to PC.

iPhoto would have to be the most uselss app ever invented. NO SUBFOLDERS....WTF!!!????? I have upwards of 25,000 images that I need to access and cross reference instantly. Try doing that on iPhoto. Nightmare.

Sorry....rant off. The blood pressure is rising up just thinking about it.
AnswerID: 163940

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 19:46

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 19:46
"Photo would have to be the most uselss app ever invented. NO SUBFOLDERS....WTF!!!????? I have upwards of 25,000 images that I need to access and cross reference instantly. Try doing that on iPhoto. Nightmare. "

Agreed.

Use adobe Bridge, works in with Photoshop CSII

Wolfie
FollowupID: 418742

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 23:20

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 23:20
RockyOne - there isn't a demo version on the macgpspro website.

(((Cost is just $50 US Running Mac's? Check out the demo..)))

Does MacGPSPro work with the .ecw files you can download at the Geosciences site https:// Site Link ?
These work in Oziexplorer, which I too have to use on a PC. But my sons ex school $25 unit seems to do okay so far! Clunk in a sea of Macs :-)

Tim
AnswerID: 164003

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 15:59

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 15:59
Sorry mate..I have'nt been too game to get into that yet as I have my present "Linear Photo Project" to finish,so far jus on 800 pix from my year six (riding a horse to school) to now.I have to complete it soon,as the person I signed a contract with way back,which terminated my single life,always reminds that I was a tank "gunner" in the army and I'm still a'gonna now.(gonna do this! gonna do that!) You got it.She is right..About June I should be sweet to get into the GPS bit.."and the band played Walzing Matilda...." :-)
FollowupID: 418957

Sponsored Links