GQ SWB suspension lifts

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 01:20
ThreadID: 3234 Views:1794 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Gday i own a 91 GQ SWB fitted with RS9000's and 5 inch king springs. I also put a 2 inch body lift on and am now running 35 inch BFG muddys and despite alot of critics it runs like a dream. Anyway ive heard alot of people talk about how such a lift is illegal and insurance companies wont cover claims etc and ive also heard about having to get engineers certificates for the work. All the bar work beneath is custom from a mate whose a welder by trade pan arm rods, trailing arms etc etc. I currently have full insurance but im a bit worried what happens if i have an accident *touch wood*. Can anyone clear this up for me and let me know how i can go about making this legal and approx how much $$$ i am looking at? Or is it even worth insuring it and just hoping for the best?

Cheers mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Savvas - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 08:42

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 08:42
Mark,

Any problems with insurance will usually stem from the car being illegally modified. Check with your state's registration authority to find out what can be done without an engineering certificate in terms of suspension and tyre size changes. The RTA in NSW has a lot of this information on their website, (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/vehiclestandards/index.html).

If you find that your modifications are not within their guidelines, then your next step is to get an engineer's certificate. This certifies that your vehicle with the modifications is safe and roadworthy. Once you have this, your vehicle is legal again. You will need to report the modifications to your registry, along with a copy of the certificate.

Next is to advise the insurance company and make sure that the mods, the certification and the clearance with the state authority are all noted. At this point some insurance companies will refuse the policy and you may have to shop around to find a company that will take you on. It's better to find this out now, rather than when you have to make a claim.

"Or is it even worth insuring it and just hoping for the best?" - Not to my way of thinking. I'm too risk averse when my finances are on the line. I prefer to do it once and do it right.

I believe Truckster has been down this path, so he'll have some good info for you.
AnswerID: 12522

Follow Up By: Savvas - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 08:45

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 08:45
Actually, my opening line above is incorrect. I shouldn't say "any problems with insurance".

What I mean to say is that any problems with insurance due to modifications, usually stem from the modifications being "illegal".
FollowupID: 7308

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 11:33

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 11:33
You need engineers for 33's or bigger.
Insurance can wave bye byes to you.

5in lift you need engineers

2in lift you need engineers

You have 3 problems, your chance of insurance paying up are slim to FA and slim just left town...
If your in melbourne call
Kevin Williams.
9434 7687.
0417 383 349
AnswerID: 12538

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 12:08

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 12:08
In reality your not insured. Your car is illegally modified, as the mods are not approved, and not marked on your rego papers.

In Vic when I modded mine, they noted it on the Vicroads computer that the car was modified.

Also you should have the Engineers in the glove box, if the cops pull you up, Defect here ya go... hassles and full inspection here you go.

Take a risk??? Hit a rolls royce/merc/porsche/BMW and no insurance, your up for $40k etc.... is it worth it for a few 100$ inspection?

Call Kevin on the # above.. Up to you......
FollowupID: 7313

Sponsored Links