Perth Fuel prices

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 21:23
ThreadID: 32369 Views:2053 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Today ULP 1.18 to 1.29/litre, Diesel 1.32 to 1.39/litre

2 weeks back ULP 1.08 to 1.18/litre, Diesel 1.29 to 1.37/litre

I just wonder who is being taken for a ride.
EricM WA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 01:51

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 01:51
We all (including myself) sit back and do nothing, If this was to happen in some countries there would be a riot, as it is so obvious that the marketing strategies of the big companys don't give a hoot about the exploiting of customers here in Aus. and we all just sit back and pay,pay, pay, PAY, PAY. I am certain we will be paying $2.00 L for diesel by the end of the year.
AnswerID: 164014

Follow Up By: cabbageoz - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 09:41

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 09:41
We have been paying more than that here {Latrobe Valley Victoria} for 3-4 mths now. Dearest fuel in Victoria apart from Woods Point.
Gas and oil fields just down the road.
Haven't looked today yet but ulp 1.28.9 diesel 1.38.9 lpg 59.9 2 days back.
Diesel has been 139.9 last week, gas at 65.9 and ulp 124.9.
Don't drive anywhere anymore unless it's un-avoidable, food ,doctor etc.
FollowupID: 418865

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 07:33

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 07:33
Apparently world oil prices are going through the roof at the moment.
Perhaps we should have followed the lead of a certain South American nation who will be fossil oil free by the end of this year.
But of course the oil industry is a powerful lobby group.
AnswerID: 164028

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 07:48

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 07:48
And the aussie dollar is dropping at the same rate as oil is going up.

Double whammy.
FollowupID: 418836

Reply By: mfewster - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 08:20

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 08:20
The answer? Do everything you can to encourage alternative fuels. Push for biodiesel. Australian Renwable fuels opened their first big plant in Adelaide last week. Demand and buy the stuff. The output from their Adelaide plant is already completely contracted out.They have more plants under construction. Buy shares in the company (ARW on the stock exchange) Hard to see them doing anything but going strongly up. If you had bought a few 1000 shares a year ago you would already have made enough profit to have more than offset fuel price rises this year. And the big companies are watching interest in biodiesel very closely, so every movement in ARW share prices sends big messages to the major companies.
AnswerID: 164037

Follow Up By: Scubaroo - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 09:22

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 09:22
Despite being a proponent of bio-fuels, it saddens me to see stories like on Dateline this week where Indonesian companies are clearing rainforest habitat wholesale in order to plant palm oil plantations - one of the chief sources of raw material for commercial biodiesel. Said rainforest just happens to be one of the last strongholds of orang-utan. Kind of makes the environmental benefits moot if we are destroying an irreplaceable resource to gain a renewable one.

Mind you it's the long term interests of the planet at stake here, so you lose a battle to win the war, but it's a horrible price.

Of course Australia is going to be lining up to buy this palm oil for processing in Darwin I believe. Given our track record of political relations with Indonesia, I'm not sure that developing a long term reliance on that particular country for fuel is such a good idea... what will it take to get a self-contained bio-fuel industry up and running in this country!?!?

Maybe an opportunity for cyclone affected farmers in Qld??? Dunno how palm oil compares as a cash crap to bananas, but surely someone in this country must be interested in the idea of growing our own oil. Palm oil is the highest producing oil crop per hectare out of all suitable crops - it can produce 5650 litres of oil per hectare - almost 5 times what canola can produce (see chart).

Have firmly resolved that our next vehicle will be diesel.
FollowupID: 418861

Follow Up By: Scubaroo - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 09:48

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 09:48
Typo - it's actually 5950L/ha, which translates to about 4760L/ha of biodiesel.

Just had a quick look at the yields - it doesn't even come close to banana crops in terms of $/ha yield. Even if the grower made 20c/L profit, that's only about $1200/ha profit. Bugger all compared to an acre of bananas.
FollowupID: 418867

Follow Up By: mfewster - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 09:58

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 09:58
I heard the program re palm oil and orang utangs also and I agree with you. The Darwin biodiesel plant is being designed for palm oil and I think their sources are a real concern that deserve more scrutiny. The ARW plants, as I understand it, are going to be running on canola.
Why isn't the guvvament putting in infrastructure and encouragements to get more drivers to use gas? We have plenty of it, but we keep selling vast volumes overseas at cheap prices.
FollowupID: 418869

Reply By: hanson - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 09:47

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 09:47
Hi try living in the country, Margaret river is already 146cpl, however since xmas its been a home brew...... 17c per litre, only problem is all the dogs chasing the nissan ute down the road ... smells like a fish and chip shop :-)))) no side effects excpt 2nd gear at 2800rpm fades a little, I put it down to extra fuel filters and gravity fed fuel line before pump, will probably install another electric pump.
AnswerID: 164047

Follow Up By: Member - Bill S (NSW) - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 10:40

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 10:40
What a read great but sad to see most of you still have your heads in the sand stay alert and learn. Soon all will be revealed , be patient. " Please no FLACK"//
I am pleased to be paying at least 15cents alitre less than pump ALL the time.

Regards BILLS
FollowupID: 418881

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 17:55

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 17:55
What BillS realy means is buy a Fitch from him , or preferably 5 and fit all in series ,you will then only use 0.001% of the fuel you use now ,, come on we could send all the oil companys broke within a month or 3 , not to mention that the government would also be bankrupt from lack of taxes. Bring it on !!!
FollowupID: 418991

Follow Up By: Member - Bill S (NSW) - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 18:46

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 18:46
HEY ALLOYc/t, Mate congradulations you have hit the nail right on the head,except that you CAN undertreat but not over treat
.But your comment in relation deserves
total CONGRADULATIONS on being educated to understand the ramifications of this product. Thank you very much.you ARE talking sense.
With this product reducing exhaust pollution from exhaust systems by up to 50% and beyond what would happen in the SYDNEY tunnells????
FollowupID: 418997

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 22:38

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 22:38
I have just got to Perth and fuel isCHEAPER in kalgoorlie
AnswerID: 164174

Reply By: macca172 - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 08:08

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 08:08
Get this scam, Woolworths petrol outlet Richmond NSW, Thursday 30 Mar 06;

approx. 3:00pm ULP $108.9

3:30pm $125.9

Fri 31 Mar

7:00am $108.9
Its a bloody scam, how can they possibly raise the price 17 cents and then over night drop it back to the original price. You and I did that we be charged for fraud, but oh no not these rip off merchants. The same mob were flogging Banana's at $4.95 during the week.

AnswerID: 164211

Reply By: Member - ROTORD - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 12:21

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 12:21
Hello All

I strongly , support the concept of bio fuels and the use of LNG . But the cost of bio fuels will rise towards petroleum equivelants and , as mentioned , the infrastructure for LNG is generally lacking [ though some householders on LNG compress their own ].

Mfewster is on the right track when he advocates investing in fuels to offset price rises , but you can do better.

I have free fuel , for life , and my money back , and so can almost all of you .

I have invested in a diversified range of blue chip energy stocks . If the price of oil doesn't go up , I make money . If the price of oil goes up , I make more money . The income from my investments pay for my petrol . At the end of my life , the investment forms part of my childrens inheritance . And in the meantime the investment is available for emergencies .

Where can you get the money to invest ? Many Australians have the financial flexibility to allocate funds as required . Others can make funds available by re-organizing priorities . For example , instead of buying a new 4WD , buy 2nd hand and invest the difference [ I did and I love my Disco]. For many who are struggling financially , they may still invest because thay have uncommitted assets in the family home . It works like this , your house has increased in value , and you have payed off some of the mortgage . You start by seeing a licenced investment adviser , your bank probably has one . Your investment adviser calculates value in your house , and how to release it by re-negotiating your mortgage without increasing your fortnightly repayments . You will borrow against the security of your house . He advises on the risks and returns of the investments available , and the hidden costs , and gains , of the exercise .

What are the investments ? For fuel , mine are in Colonial Fiirst State Global Rescources [ a managed trust fund , CFS are owned by WESTPAC ] . But everyone has different requirements and you must be guided by your licenced adviser .

Are there risks in this process . Yes . But if the price of oil keeps high , or rises , or supply diminishes , you are betting on a good thing . The period of the investment is assumed to be 5 to 8 years .
AnswerID: 164238

Sponsored Links