Kipor Generators

Submitted: Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 14:54
ThreadID: 32383 Views:25628 Replies:8 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Have been looking at generators for a while trying to decide what to buy. Had a look at the Kipor generator. It's an exact copy of the Honda (except for the case colour), the Kipor 2Kva was $1350 and the Honda 2Kva was $2269. Things were looking good until I asked about warranty. Apparently Kipor don't provide any warranty, the place selling the generator provides the warranty and apparently there are only 2 providers in Australia who can provide warranty assistance. They are Powerlite and Primus. If you buy your generator from a Powerlite dealer then you can't get your generator fixed by a Primus dealership and vice versa. This could lead to all sorts of problems if you get away from your local area and have a generator problem. Just something to take into consideration.
I ended up purchasing a Yamaha 2400iS, ($1899) which has even better specs than the Honda but is slightly bigger overall and supposedly weighs 30kg (it doesn't feel that heavy when I lift it). If anyone else uses the Yamaha 2400iS I would be interested in their comments
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 14:58

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 14:58
You can also buy the Kipor off Novasmic via ebay. It's much cheaper, but you don't have a national network of service centres. Novasmic will pay for courier charges.

Mike
AnswerID: 164083

Reply By: DaveNQ - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 17:08

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 17:08
Peter,
I am going through the same thing at the moment. Checked out the Kipor 2kva on ebay, $950 delivered to Cairns. If there is a problem you can return it to Novasmic at their expense, but only for the warranty period. The Kipor dealer in Cairns gets them through Powerlite so they will only touch the Powerlite distributed gennies. They told me they will not even service the ones bought elsewhere once they are out of warranty. They coincidentally sell the same gennie for $1250. They are probably a good gennie but definately have warranty issues if your not careful.
I am now looking at both the Honda and Yamaha, so i will be watching this thread closely as well. The best price i can get for the 2400is up here at the moment is $1950, however the dealers have the upperhand due to Cyclone Larry. As quick as they hit the shelves they are gone. Your price does not sound too bad.

Cheers
Dave.
AnswerID: 164116

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 19:39

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 19:39
Dave,

Sounds like a dumb way to do business to me.

After the warranty period has expired, who cares where the unit was bought.

A service is a service and a buck is a buck.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 419014

Follow Up By: DaveNQ1 - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 21:18

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 21:18
Sandman,

Yeah mate i totally agree, but i still don't know if they were telling me this to make me have second thoughts about buying one off ebay, or they were actually serious.
Dave.
FollowupID: 419044

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 17:52

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 17:52
Another option which may be worth considering, is the Engel generators...

I believe these are Honda powered, w/- Sawafuji electrics...
(The "guts" of the Engel 'fridges is of course, Sawafuji)....

I'm also led to believe that the electrics in the Honda gennies are supplied by Sawafuji, so the 2 brands should be (more or less) identical in operation...

RRP on the Engels is...
1Kva.... $1299
2Kva.... $1699
(could probably do better with some haggling)...

I have a Honda (EU20i), but if I was in the market for a genny right now, I think I'd be having a close look at these Engels... I don't think warranty would be an issue.....

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 164125

Reply By: Jimbo - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 20:11

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 20:11
I spied a Kipor Generator recently and it looked like a good bit of kit to me.

HOWEVER,..... after reading the above about how they support their product,,,,

I wouldn't have one as a gift.

Let's get real, Bunnings offer a two year guarantee on a $98 cheapie.
AnswerID: 164148

Follow Up By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 20:29

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 20:29
People, people, people!

Don't jump to conclusions until you have had a good squizz around re the KIPOR.

A post just back a time said they were a very popular unit in the god ol' You ess of Hay...and the continent.

SO I checked around and it IS true. However still being the doubting bowser that I am I checked further and checked the history of KIPOR and the makers. Here is their link for you to view. As far as the purchase in Cairns at Cairns Mower City well Brandon or Mark will support the gear they sell and I know that for sure. I have nothing to do with this company - just have had experience with them over 16 odd years or so.
www.kipor.com/about.asp

I am, I must admit, in two minds about all 3 - Kipor, Yammy or Honda.....so many to choose from --- so little money!!!!
FollowupID: 419028

Follow Up By: DaveNQ1 - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 21:44

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 21:44
Crazy

I checked them out too and i agree, they sounded good value for money. I actually went to see the guys at Cairns Mower City to get their best price but after talking to them i left more confused than ever. They do not have any issues with servicing the ones sold through their distributor which is Powerlite but they told me they will not have anything to do with the ones purchased from other distributors e.g. Novasmic.
I have also purchased other equipment from these guys and find them very good with after sales service. What really left me confused was the comments " the yamaha and the kipor are like chalk and cheese " and "you get what you pay for in this game". I then spoke to the mechanic out the back and he said that they had had no issues with them so far except for a build up of rubbish in the carby due to people not putting enough load on them.

So, what to do? Do you spend the extra cash and buy the others, or wait a bit longer and watch the kipor threads. I am in no hurry anyway.(unless we lose power again)

I might have a beer and think about it.

Cheers

Dave

FollowupID: 419056

Follow Up By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 00:09

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 00:09
Dave,

I agree with your view.

Give me a yell - eg email address and we might chat re and have several tinnies eh but....
FollowupID: 419085

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 08:15

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 08:15
QUOTE: [I then spoke to the mechanic out the back and he said that they had had no issues with them so far except for a build up of rubbish in the carby due to people not putting enough load on them.]

Pardon my ignorance ....... but why would that be so? Surely the only way "rubbish" can get into he carby is through dirty fuel.

Also after the warranty expires, surely anybody with half a brain in regard to small engines can service them!
FollowupID: 419099

Follow Up By: DaveNQ - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 09:24

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 09:24
Shaker,
When he said rubbish i presume he meant carbon. His words, not mine.
Yeah your right, servicing the engine would be no problems, but its problems with the electrical side which would worry me. I am absolutely hopeless with that type of stuff.
FollowupID: 419108

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 10:37

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 10:37
So how would carbon get into the carburettor? Carbon is created during combustion, which is after the fuel/air mix has passed through the carburettor.
FollowupID: 419116

Follow Up By: DaveNQ - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 11:07

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 11:07
Don't know mate, ring them and ask them.
FollowupID: 419120

Follow Up By: Peter - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 14:21

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 14:21
Believe the biggest problem with any generators is the plugs carbon up. This is caused by running the generator without any load. They need to be loaded to run at peak efficiency. Even just plugging 1 or 2 500watt lights in will suffice. Not a big drama just means the plug needs to be cleaned more regularly. Doubt that not running under load would affect the fuel side of things. I notice now there is also a fuel additive available that when added to the fuel tank of a generator will maintain the fuel volatility for up to 12 months. I intend chucking some in the Yamaha because until I actually retire it will only be used spordically
FollowupID: 419259

Follow Up By: DaveNQ - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 19:44

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 19:44
Peter,
I spoke to the same guys again yesterday in regards to the carby problem and they referred to it as "carbonising". I asked Shaker's question about how this was possible and was told it was not actually carbon as in combustion carbon, but a by product of unburnt fuel. Apparantly the correct term is "varnishing". Anyway,,, the end result according to them is flooding.

Have just recently heard about the fuel additive as well. If it turns out to be a good product i dare say it will become very popular.

I lost power for another four hours today so i am now even closer to making my decision. Having power is taken for granted,until you lose it.

Cheers

Dave
FollowupID: 419303

Follow Up By: Peter - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 10:24

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 10:24
Dave,
Yep the blokes at one of the dealerships I spoke with regarding the fuel additive advised me that the major problem with all generators is that when they are left to sit for a long period of time with unleaded fuel in the tanks and lines, that the varnishing effect occurs. Apparently it is like a coating that clogs everything up and is pretty hard to remove (they said that in most cases it needed to be scraped out). That's what the additive is supposed to stop happening. I'm going to throw some in with the fuel anyhow, it can't hurt. I try and use the gene (I've got a couple of generic brands as well), at least once a month and load them up with the leaf blower etc just to give them a run. So far I haven't had any problems (touch wood)
Peter
FollowupID: 419390

Follow Up By: Peter - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 15:14

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 15:14
Dave, Just purchased the stuff for the fuel tank. It is made by Briggs and Stratton and is called Fresh State Fuel Stabiliser. You can buy sachets for $3.60 (which treats 10 litres) or a 125 mil bottle for $15.70. The advantage of the bottle is use can measure out what you want, whereas with the sachet once it is open you have to use it all up. For storage protection they recommend adding 12.5 mil per gallon (whatever that works out too). This will condition the fuel for 24 months. I also picked up a brochure comparing the Honda EU20i with the Yamaha 2400iS
These are some of the comparisons:
Honda Yamaha
2000W max 2400W max
1600w rated 2000w rated
5000rpm 3200rpm
100cc 175cc
Wont run all aircon Will run all aircon
58db @ 1600W 57.5db @ 1600W
57db @ 1000W 55.5db @ 1000W
54db @ 500W 53db @ 500W
4.1 lt fuel 6 lt fuel
$2269 $1999
Hope some of this helps
Peter
FollowupID: 419456

Follow Up By: DaveNQ1 - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 16:26

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 16:26
Thanks for the info.

Cheers
Dave.
FollowupID: 419476

Reply By: Peter - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 14:59

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 14:59
Seeing as I how started this I thought I would give the full story of what happened.
I'm in the fortunate position at the moment of just having sold an investment property and have purchased a 23 foot van ready for retirement. I was looking for a generator that would allow me to run the electrics in the van when required. The Kipor certainly looked the way to go. I visited MacFarlane Generators here in Brisbane on two occassions and spoke at length to 2 different sales reps. They advised me of the warranty issue but by the same token they stated they had only had 2 Kipor returned under warranty and for minor problems. Powerlite is mainly sold and serviced through lawn mower dealerships. MacFarlane sell Honda, Yamaha, Kipor (Powerlite), and several other brands. After speaking with the reps the Yamaha 2400iS was the best option for what I wanted. I didn't buy the Yamaha from them ($2000) but bought it from Trade Tools Direct ($1899), they even filled it with fuel and oil and ran it before I took it from the shop. Had I not had the money available at the time I most probably would have purchased the Kipor and taken my chances regarding warranty problems. I'm not sure how long they have actually been on the market in Australia so maybe none have yet run out of warranty to allow people to discover whether or not they were a good buy. If you are not intending to travel miles from the place of purchase the Kipor is probably a very good option. I can still remember the days when no-one would buy anything Japanese because it was always considered crap, now look at how much Jap stuff in on the market, and the excellent value for money they provide.
Good luck with whatever unit everyone decided to go for
AnswerID: 164261

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 20:51

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 20:51
In todays junk mail AussiAuto has the new 1kva Scorpion digital inverter generator for $699 ,,4 stroke ohv 58db eco throttle 13.5kg ect ect ,,Australian made ,,looks like a honda except is coloured yellow.
AnswerID: 164469

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 12:13

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 12:13
K Mart have them as well.
FollowupID: 419405

Follow Up By: DaveNQ1 - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 16:27

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 16:27
Thanks Gents

Dave.
FollowupID: 419477

Reply By: Firiebob - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 12:52

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 12:52
Hi to DaveNQ & Crazy Dog,

You might be interested to know that the Cairns waranty agent for Primus Kipor is, Tim The Toolman. I found him to be very helpful, he had my 1000ti back in 2 days, faulty on off switch. I'd be very surprised if he wouldn't service an out of waranty gen.
Anyway, give him a ring for advise, as he doesn't sell them.
If I had my time again, I would have got the Honda. The Honda is definitely quieter and smother.
I first time I needed the gen to run, cyclone Larry, it wouldn't start because of the switch. The next time was camping last week, ran for an hour and then stoped. Because my mate had his old Honda, we used that instead. After getting home, I found the plug was gummed up ? We were running 2x 39L Engels and one fluro light.
It's actually running now at the moment, after cleaning the plug, with 250W load aprox, been doing that for 2 1/2 hours so far. Go figure ?

Cheers,
Bob.
AnswerID: 167550

Reply By: Member - Nigel (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 19:29

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 19:29
Look's the the ebay reseller (novasmic) is ramping up...

this website has the same contact details as novasmic

www.kipor.com.au/
AnswerID: 168951

Sponsored Links