NISSAN 2003 stl 3ldt

Submitted: Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 19:24
ThreadID: 32390 Views:1583 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I am new to this so forgive me, but how do I find the results of post, 29813,
I was looking to getting my first 4 x 4 as my family just grew to 6 and the old wagon just will not fit us all. I was planing on a Nissan 03 stl 3l dt but on reading this site I am a bit worried and not sure if I should get the Nissan? Any help would be welcomed. Thanks in advance Paul.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 19:44

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 19:44
Paul, you'll find lots of negative posts on the 3.0 GU, many of them justified and even more 2nd and 3rd hand reports. Most of the failures seem to be from the Series 1 anda few series 2 models. I haven't heard of a series 3 going bang, yet.

Thers is a good thread by scottcamp on the forum, he's done a fair bit of research and it makes good reading. I'm happy with my 03 3.0, had a recent problem with the EGR but was fixed under waranty without ant drama. If you can get an 03 Patrol with a good service history at the right price go for it.
AnswerID: 164139

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 20:25

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 20:25
Paul on the front page (click FORUM tab above) there is Post Find and a blank spot under this. Enter the post number here and press enter. The post you want is interesting reading but it may take a while to go through it all. Basically from owners on here 03 3lt onwards seem to be going fine. Call me old fashioned but I would still look at the 4.2T.

Cheers Trevor.
AnswerID: 164150

Reply By: Member - Pud & Barb R (NSW) - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 23:14

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 23:14
Hi Paul,
hubby and I are the very disappointed owners of a 2000 3ltre.
I'm not being negative, just passing on info. From a dealer, (being unusually honest), the 2003's or the rebuilds haven't really clocked up enough km's to guage wether or not they are any good.
From a mechanic, 15,000 3ltre rebuilds paid for by Nissan.
Go for the 4.2 if I were you. Also, the 3 litre's are not intended for towing as the 4.2 is. I have a stuffed nerve in my clutch leg so had to go for the 3 litre to get the auto, since the rebuild we just don't trust it anymore so are madly trying to come up with the dough to drop a chev in it. Research and make an informed decision.
Ask your dealer, "what would you drive, would you have your family in a 3 litre on a trip in the simpson etc.
Barb.
AnswerID: 164179

Reply By: PandJ - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 14:22

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 14:22
Hi Paul,

We have a 2003, 3.0ltr TD. It is a STL and we find it pretty good although its only done 15,000 k's. The dearest part is fuel and service costs. Good luck with your purchase if you get it.
Cheers P&J
AnswerID: 164251

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 16:56

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 16:56
Do you really think fuel costs are high with the 3lt ?

Do you know anyone with a v8 cruiser ?

Services are expensive from the dealership, this can be easily avoided by doing it yourself or going to a mechanic that you trust.

Glenn.
FollowupID: 419155

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 21:12

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 21:12
Hi Paul,

There's a lot of doom and gloom posted about the 3.0TD, but the series III have yet to have a single OWNER report a failure in AUS of the previous type problem. And there are enough around now with high mileage to be confident in the 3.0TD now IMHO.

When the series II (2000 to late2001/early2002 ) started to blow, they started to do so typically from 80,000kms on and and were reported as such from late 2000/early 2001 on. Even then, the failure rate was in the order of <1% (estimate based on what I have read - not fact).

Put another way, some were less than 12 months old when they started to fail. Now the series III has been around for up to 4 years now and still not a single OWNER reported failure of the previous type . Pretty good evidence Nissan's updates have the problem sorted, though this is little comfort to series II owner's.

If one was to write off all the late model 3.0TD's on the basis of the early failures, then that would be like saying the 80 series Toyota 4.2TD is unreliable (the early 4.2TD's were prone to big end bearing damage - Toyota upgraded the engine without recalling the early ones prone to damage) yet the updated 4.2TD is now one of the most sought after vehicles in the 2nd hand market and is acknowledged for its reliability!!!

As for comments like worried to take it to the desert because of engine failure, statistically one is FAR more likely to blow several tyres or have some form of electrical fault, we all hear about these breakdowns from all makes every day. Yet I haven't heard of one 3.0TD failing in the desert and leaving someone stranded! Far more other things to be worried about IMHO.

Once a model has been tarred by the brush, its hard to shake that tag, especially by those unfortunate enough to have been caught. But the facts speak for themselves and the vast majority of series III and later 3.0TD owners are very, very happy. But by the same token, I would not advise anyone to buy a series II, unless the motor has already been replaced!!!

Cheers

Captain

AnswerID: 164319

Reply By: Paul BELL - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 08:48

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 08:48
Thanks very much for your detailed reply, you have set my mind at ease. I look fwd to enjoying my soon to be purchased Nissan, Thanks again Paul.
AnswerID: 164357

Sponsored Links