Trailers and the Simpson

Submitted: Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 20:30
ThreadID: 32396 Views:2138 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all, heard recently that trailers were banned from the Simpson is this true ? I remember reading some time ago that this might be in the pipeline due to the number of dead one's being left behind, just wondering if it has become reality ?

cheers

Al
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member No 1- Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 20:39

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 20:39
from what i read on this forum,,,,you can do but be careful and dont leave it behind cos of the big fine you'll get
AnswerID: 164157

Follow Up By: DiesAl - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 20:42

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 20:42
Thanks Nudie
FollowupID: 419034

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 20:50

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 20:50
Have a look at post 32308 on page 3

No trailers are not banned but the 'Authorities' try to discourage you from towing one through the desert.

Last year I saw two trailer wrecks along the French Line. Not sure how many have broken down or been removed over the years.

AnswerID: 164161

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 21:38

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 21:38
Al they certainly are not banned............... Yet! but advice from the authorities is they would rather you not tow them accross due to increased breakdowns, hold ups & chewing up the track. A well prepared 4by & trailer in the hands of an experienced driver at the right time of the year normally has very little trouble in the Simpson. Now for example is apparently a bad time, particually soft sand with fresh blows making travel difficult. Most of the dead one's left behind in the desert are cheap trailers that probably shouldn't have been towed past Birdsville. The better ones that stuff up, normally from overloading or going too fast, are usually recovered at great cost to the owners.
Personally I think trailer towers get a bad rap in the desert so please don't add to their worries by breaking down or getting stuck & holding up others.....or we'll hear about it for months:-)
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 164168

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 18:39

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 18:39
Al,

I towed my trailer through the Simpson a couple of years ago and did not have a problem. I would have had less problems if I'd had better tyures on the car but that is another story.

When I read the concerns of people on this forum about trailers I carefully read my Desert Parks Pass and found no coment in it about trailers one way or the other. So I don't see a problem

Now the caution, as has already been said in this thread trailers get a somewhat unfair deal when it comes to travelling in some of the more genuine 4wd locations so please don't take a trailer out in the Simpson and stuff things up. If you do it reflects badly on every trailer user.

In 2000 I saw a very well built covered trailer at the side of the Halligans Bay track near William Creek. This trailer had a major suspension failure which resulted in the axle moving across the trailer and getting bent like a straw.

This trailer as I said earlier was very well built, I spoke to the owner who was trying to recover it, didn't look like much of a holiday. He said he could not understand it as the trailer had never caused problems before. He had had it for years and recently did it up to take camping. It looked good and would have lasted around Melbourne for years. But William Creek, or the Simpson for that matter is harder on a trailer than Melbourne ever will be, unless it gets hit by a truck.

I have two trailers one I will take anywhere, the other.....well lets just say the only dirt it sees is what it carries to the tip. It's a good trailer but it would not like the Simpson.

Duncs
AnswerID: 164295

Reply By: DiesAl - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:36

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:36
Thanks all for the replies. IF I did take a trailer out there would be very little possibility that I would leave it there as I'm too much of a scrounge, the only danger might be that I would come back with a coupla extras.

Cheers

Al
AnswerID: 164945

Sponsored Links