Butcher Country Track

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 13:41
ThreadID: 3240 Views:3273 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a trek along the Butcher Country Track & Zeka Spur Track & into the valley in a couple of weeks & wondering if anybody has any updates or info on the track condition & time required.
I will be completing this trek in a standard 2002 GXL Prado turbo diesel with the standard Grand Treks, any info or suggestions on alterative treks in or out of the valley appreciated.

Alby.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Thommo - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 16:06

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 16:06
Alby,
I know that Zeka Spur track is closed due to fires, as is the Gatta.
The Grand Treks will be OK if you travel slowly, and keep tyre pressure around 26 - 28 psi. Going down the Zeka is much easier than heading up, as it gets a beating in steep areas from cars spinning wheels etc. trying to progress forward.
Steady driving, keeping car as level as possible should see you up without problems, however it will give your heart rate some hurry up.
My info on track condition is 5 months old, however it is closed right now. Check DPE offices or website for updates.
Thommo
AnswerID: 12555

Reply By: Hendo - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 23:24

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 23:24
Alby's question about Butcher Country Track raises a few questions about the result of the fires (which are still burning).
The VicParks website lists nearly all the tracks closed, and the Department of Sustainability and Environment has a current map which shows an enormous area affected by the fires.
Questions are: will the High Country reopen this season? Did the Wonangatta get burnt out? Is there anything left at this stage?

Hendo
AnswerID: 12586

Reply By: Troopie - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 14:25

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 14:25
I was fortunate enough to be in that country in early January (a little while before the fires set in). Leaving the fire issue aside, the Zeka Spur Track was no real problem in either direction , a little steep, uneven or rocky in places but nothing that worried us (2000 Troopie with BFG AT's).
AnswerID: 12607

Sponsored Links