Kimberley

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 16:03
ThreadID: 32425 Views:2521 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Am planning a trip to Broome from Newcastle, via Darwin, in 2007 June-August with a 4x4 vehicle and caravan.
Would I be able to travel the Gibb River road on my return journey with the caravan sometime towards the end of July?
Would it be too rough for the caravan and would the creek/river crossings cause a problem that time of year?
Any comments would be appreciated.
Cheers
Redsox
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 16:35

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 16:35
Depends on the caravan and you. If the van is off road rated`and you are prepared to take it easy you could do it. The road is usually pretty dry at that time of year and all the wash aways from the wet should have been repaired. We saw a very few full caravans on the track. Couple of Pop Tops and a few Jaycos off road Swans and the like
AnswerID: 164276

Reply By: Warrie - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 16:40

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 16:40
A picture's worth a thousand words. Go into PLACES and find each of the following:Barnett river, Barnett R. gorge, Barnett R camping, Lennard gorge, Manning gorge, Adcock gorge. Then in the Intersections section look at Great northern Hwy /Gibb R Rd and GRR/Derby Hwy. Enjoy the wife's photos and brace yourself for 600km of corrugations. Also check the trek notes for the GRR. Cheers
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 164279

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 17:06

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 17:06
I came across a bloke on the GRR towing a normal road caravan and its roof had caved it. He was not a happy chappy. And that was in the days when there was a lot less traffic along the road.

Unless you are towing an Offroad Caravan I would err on the side of caution.

AnswerID: 164284

Reply By: Member - Michael B (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 20:15

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 20:15
Redsox,
Agree with the above, minium must have decent shocks and springs and you wont have much trouble. The Gibb is just a normal outback road with lots of corrugations. Ran all the way up to Kulumbra and Mitchell Falls and back to Broome last year in July with a 2 tonne Trakmaster and Cruiser and didnt have
the slightest problem with the road , keep the speed up,within reason, and the corrugations wont worry you or van.
Mike B
AnswerID: 164310

Reply By: Graham & Ann - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 14:12

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 14:12
Redsox,

We spent 4 weeks and 3000km up/down/over/across the GRR last June/July (including Kalumburu and most side trips off both roads) towing our Evernew van, it's a std van but has coil/shocker suspension fitted with 16" tyres/wheels to suit our Pathy. I wouldn't take a std van that was not well made on any dirt roads.

As others have posted dirt roads can vary from day to day etc.. but if your used to travelling dirt roads and your vans well made then you shouldn't find it any real problem, just take it easy.

If your not experienced dirt road traveller you may find it's bit too rough. We have towed our van 11784 km's over dirt roads, including the Gibb River, Tanami, Birdsville, Oodnadatta Roads and not had any problems. A little of our trips on the dirt can be seen here groups.msn.com/CaravanningAustralia but I haven't completed the info re the WA trip yet..

AnswerID: 164382

Sponsored Links