Intercooling a Mitsubishi 2.5TD

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 18:11
ThreadID: 32428 Views:2072 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day I have a Triton 2.5 TD and am considering an intercooler, is it the same as the Pajero ones for the 2.8ish TD or a different setup?

Has anyone atempted this conversion??

Thank's
Chris.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 20:47

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 20:47
Chris.
What you propose could be done but there would be very little advantage unless you completely recalibrated the injector pump. the cost of doing it would be more than the cost of trading up to a later model. Inter coolers realy work well in conjunction with computors, to get a mechanical pump to change the fuel as a function of air temperature is very tricky. Eric.
AnswerID: 164315

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 17:51

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 17:51
Why the intercooler?
Do you want more power?
Why not adjust the wastegate?
I understand there is an adjustable rod in it which you can wind back and get a couple of extra pounds of boost. Play with it carefully though.

Major power gains do need the pump looking at.
AnswerID: 164593

Reply By: peteC - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 16:51

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 16:51
Chriswoo, I have looked at it. I went to the wreckers and could get an intercooler for $150 from a 2.5TD Pajero. That was easy part. You then need to make brackets to mount on the motor as they sit on top, the Pajero has it sitting on the pasenger side with pipes going over the motor to the air intake on the drivers side. You wouldnt dare put the cooler in front of the radiator because the 2.5TD runs hot enough on big hills as it is. You can add some electric fans to the radiator but that could easily add $200. The 2.5TD Pajero had a dual layered bonnet so the air intake for the Int was at the front and ran inside the bonnet to an opening at the Int. The bonnets are not the same shape as the Pajero so you would need a bonnet scope. I heard you can get a genuine scope for a patrol that would fit and they are said to be under $100. All up I worked out it would probably cost $1000 to do it ( dont forget the bonnet scoop and painting etc.) with a lot of work to make things fit and then getting retuned which may be extra hundreds of dollars. Final decision, it is a reliable motor as it is, it can tow a few ton albeit a little slow on the bigger hills, the Int wont make it go faster and I dont think the little extra power will make it worth it. I wouldnt start playing with the wastegate unless adjusting to spec boast ( apparently our model there is something you can really easily adjust to vary the boost ).
PS does yours get a little warm up hills, if not is it standard setup?
AnswerID: 164772

Reply By: chriswoo - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 23:06

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 23:06
Thanks guy's, you have talked me out of this mod....I thought it might have been a common mod for them as they are a little sluggish here in tassie, big hill's, camper trailer and third gear!

As for heat, the only time she has struggled was when we had about 39 deg. I was doing a climb up onto our central highlands. The road has lots of curves, and is a constant climb for about 40 odd minutes....lots of gear changes, and heaps of on and off the throttle....not nice.

Strangly enough, after that trip, the Tempreture sender, in the front of the head, near the thermostat housing, for the gauge and glow plugs failed...MMMM i wonder if this is connected, didn't think it at the time.

Apart from that she's a rocket, dosen't get hot at all. The fan is the standard Viscous fan..

I do hose out the coolers and raditor quite regularly however.

thanks again guy's,
Chris.

AnswerID: 164885

Sponsored Links