Coleman Propane Cylinders

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 13:11
ThreadID: 32445 Views:8223 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Those disposable Coleman propane bottles seem to be a good idea to carry as a spare as they are smaller and lighter (but more expensive) than a normal bottle. They don't have a tap but some sort of automatic seal in the neck. Has anyone used these? Will they fit all normal gas camping equipment?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: lifeisgood - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 14:24

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 14:24
During a Motorbike trip over the Vic. Great Alpine Rd I had a chat with some 4x4 campers cooking with a compact stove. It seemed to work well enough but they found the gas to leak over rough (Dargo) roads (nasty! in the back of your vehicle!)
Solution was to remove the disposable tank each time but they were not sure how many times this could be done and still get a good seal gas tight seal as it was a new stove.
AnswerID: 164384

Reply By: Leroy - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 14:37

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 14:37
I reckon they are a great idea. I have been planning to get a couple of bottles as backups. You can get an adapter for the bottles to attach your normal companion style fittings.

Leroy
AnswerID: 164387

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 15:53

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 15:53
Hikers use them all the time, and they're carry them on their back so are pretty sensitive about things exploding!

They also would always dismantle them every time and to my knowledge this is not a problem.

I'm heading off to walk the Overland track from Cradle mountain in Tassie and will be carrying 3 of these in the group. Damn shame they won't let me take the cruiser on the trail to carry all my stuff, I've gotta be my own camel for 6 days.....

Tim
AnswerID: 164396

Reply By: stevesub - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 17:26

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 17:26
We have a stove tht uses these cylinders - great stove, works well BUT when the ambient temperature gets near 0 degrees C, they freeze up and don't want to work for long. We keep about 4 of them and when the flame gets low, swap the frozen one for a warmer one.

Stevesub
AnswerID: 164416

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 17:34

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 17:34
Got as heap of them for the compact burner which is the only cooker I use these days. I leave the big gas bottle and the big cooker at home, just got carried away buying too much rubbish :) In the cold I throw a cartridge in the sleeping with me so it's warm for the morning.
AnswerID: 164419

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 21:16

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 21:16
Stephen, some are confusing these with the butane cartridges I think. Having used two of these on a coleman portable BBQ on a recent trip I'm now converting everything over to them, no more re-fills or swaps for me. They seem to go a long way further than they have a right to and so convenient. Not all that expensive either compared to refills I've had recently.
AnswerID: 164478

Follow Up By: StephenF10 - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 23:03

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 23:03
Yes, that's what I was thinking. For the occasional user they seem especially good. Gas bottles are a PITA. They seem to run out at inconvenient times, you can't partially refill them without paying for a full fill, they're heavy, they take up a lot of space and you have to discard/retest them after 10 years.

I think my current 2kg bottles will be my last.

Stephen.
FollowupID: 419354

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 10:51

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 10:51
Stephen,

Just to give a little balance to this thread, I would have to say I have no problem with filling and using Gas cylinders.

I take my bottles to Barbecues Galore store in SA and they simply weigh the bottle, then fill it and I only pay the cost for what was put in.

I did think of getting a Coleman propane bottle for the (Coleman) two burner gas stove, but I also use gas for the Road Trip Grill and the Hillbilly Camp Oven at times so need and use a reasonable amount of gas and the little propane bottles just wouldn't cut it.

The 4.5 KG cylinders I use have built-in floats/gauges on them that tell me the amount of gas available in the bottles and as I carry them in the Camper Trailer, space is not a problem.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 164533

Follow Up By: StephenF10 - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 11:18

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 11:18
Sand Man, Thanks for the info. I'll try Barbecues Galore next time. I'm only an occasional user (of propane!) and space is an issue as I don't have a trailer, so the lesser size and weight of the Coleman is attractive. I'll be taking one as a spare to the Corner Country at Easter as I simply don't have room for a second gas bottle.

Stephen.
FollowupID: 419397

Reply By: Richard - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:51

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:51
I use them all:
The small butane cylinders in the small single burner portable stove. As others have said not very good if the temp gets near zero but very convenient.
The Coleman canisters as a backup for the larger gas bottle in conjunction with the adapter.
The larger gas bottle for the two burner stove and gas light with the Coleman adapter hose for the Coleman hotwater system.
AnswerID: 164973

Sponsored Links