Cape Leveque

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 12:55
ThreadID: 3245 Views:2607 Replies:11 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if I could get some advice on Cape Leveque ie. can you camp off the beaten track or only at a caravan park? - and of course, fishing.

The missus and I are going up to the Kimberleys in July and want to know if the 200kms of corrugations is worth the trip before travelling the Gibb River. We can't seem to find much information on the area other than maps

cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coops - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 13:07

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 13:07
if you have the time I would do the trek. Road is pretty good, fishing is good but I cannot enlighten you on the camping side. I don't think it's permitted but your best bet would be to contact the Ranger at Broome.
Try www.calm.wa.gov.au for contact details
AnswerID: 12601

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 14:12

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 14:12
Chris,

I reckon it is one of Australia's top 5 locations. We went up for one night stayed a few days - very nice. We also love the camping around, along and on the beaches up North of Broome and you can read our journal details in the Travel Journals. Have a look at the West Coast notes from the first trip and the Broome Region notes from the 2001 trip.

Enjoy - lucky bugger.
David
AnswerID: 12605

Reply By: lizard - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 14:22

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 14:22
We did the Cape Leveque trip last July - 200 kms of bad corrugations (graders just started when we left) ... is a top site ... to my knowledge you can only camp at the resort at Cape Leveque , or at Middle Lagoon a bit further south . A few years ago we did the flight from Derby to Cape Leveque and return - an excellent day with a top meal at the resurant (it is cheaper than the similar flight from Broome) . If you go it is worth looking at the old church built by the Palotine Monks at Beagle Bay (and I think the bell tower rebuild is complete now.
AnswerID: 12606

Reply By: Blackie - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 16:57

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 16:57
There is a web site on Cape Leveque.
AnswerID: 12616

Reply By: Alpaca - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 17:19

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 17:19
Sorry to contradict David's top 5 spots comment. It is THE top spot. Crystal clear water emerald blue sea meets sparkling white sand with red cliffs coming down to the beach. Absolutely pristine.
By the way David, what are your other 4 best spots. (Just in case I've missed them)
AnswerID: 12618

Follow Up By: Chris - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 17:44

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 17:44
Cheers, you've just talked the missus into it.

Regards
Chris
FollowupID: 7381

Reply By: Member - Rohan - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 20:29

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 20:29
I think there is an article on the overlander.com.au website. Look at the Travel Section and then the archive, or just search on it. A couple of pics and a very favourable review.

Heading there myself in mid-July. I hear it gets busy during the school hols so pays to book ahead.

Have a good trip!
AnswerID: 12622

Reply By: Topcat - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 22:31

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 22:31
Hi Chris, I do the Cape Leveque run every second year when I get the chance. A word of advice. If you want to use any of the camping facilities (especially during school holiday periods) BOOK WELL IN ADVANCE!!! or you may miss out. They don't like tourists travelling up there unannounced as you may be disappointed. The beach huts at the Cape are a good cheap spot to camp at & range from $20.00 per night upwards. (These are 2002 off peak prices). For more info try the following:
Email : leveque@bigpond.com
URL : www.kooljaman.com.au
Telephone : (08) 9192 4970
Fax : (08) 9192 4978
As mentioned by previous responders the road can be rough in patches & you can be flooded in if any heavy rains occur. We were stuck there for 3weeks back in 2001 but didn't mind provided you have plenty of tucker. (The local store ran out!!). Take care on the track as speed does kill. 3 persons met their death on that road in 2001 due to inexperience driving 4WDs in rough & sandy conditions. Have a good trip & take plenty of fishing tackle as the rocks can can snag it (unless you've got a tinnie). Cheers.
AnswerID: 12629

Reply By: Topcat - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 22:43

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 22:43
If you want to see some pics on Cape Leveque check out my URL at:
www.havewheelswilltravel.iinet.net.au
Cheers Again
AnswerID: 12631

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 15:08

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 15:08
Gidday Chris,

Cape Leveque is one of our all time favourite places. Road conditions can vary depending on when the grader went through but you won't have any problems in a 4WD. Only place to stay at the top is at Kooljaman, link is:

http://www.kooljaman.com.au/

Excellent place, we loved it. Campsites are at the top of the hill overlooking the point, there is some grass and you're near the kiosk. However, my recommendation would be to splurge on one of their beach huts. These are basically timber frame covered with palm fronds, sand floor, picnic table, cold water shower in the corner etc. Idea is to pitch your tent inside or out or string up a mozzie net from the rafters.
BOOK WELL IN ADVANCE!

From there, you can drive a few k's west across the sand to the Hunter Creek. Good fishing at the mouth on an incoming tide. We were catching coral trout in half a foot of water! If you've got a tinny, even better!

Middle Lagoon is another spot worth considering. Haven't been there myself but a friend swears by it. Similar set-up to Kooljaman apparently.

For free camping, there are several places on the way to and around Point Coloumb.Well worth a days drive at the least. You can get a mud map from the Broome TIC.

Enjoy your trip. Wish it was me going back.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 12662

Reply By: Marty and Sam - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 19:52

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 19:52
We have just booked in for two days(i know not long enough) at kooljaman for the 25th and 26th of June, looking forward to it very much i have been part of the way up before to Pender Bay the fishing was fantastic but the weather turned bad and we had to make a run for Broome i suppose that is what you get when you go up in January. So hopefully the fishing will as good if not better this time as i am introducing the wife to fishing for the first time so hopefully she will get the bug and we can do some more of these trips.

Marty and Sam.
AnswerID: 12675

Reply By: kevin - Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 21:49

Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 21:49
Dont hesitate... its definitely worth the trip, and the road when we went last year wasn't as bad as some parts of the Gibb River Rd. You can easily stay 3-4 days, but definitely book in advance. Go to www.kooljaman.com.au Its one of the best places you will ever visit.
AnswerID: 12842

Sponsored Links