Any Info welcome

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 20:19
ThreadID: 32459 Views:1881 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I’ve got 3 months’ leave from 1st May to end July and plan on taking my new motor home, an Applause 500 (Fiat Ducato 2.8) up thru’ the middle of the country. I would like to go up the Oodnadatta Track and have read some of the entries in your forum e.g. about tyres…my tyres are Firestone GV3000 and currently are at 74 pressure. Are my tyres going to withstand the rough journey and if so just how much pressure should I release for the track? Is there any other pertinent information I need to ride on this track?
At once stage I was seriously contemplating coming back via the Tanami Track but recently after all my calculations and information have decided that maybe I would be being foolhardy. I am reluctant to go totally up and down the Stuart Hwy as this seems to be a possible waste of time when there is so much to see so I have found another small diversion that of the Buntine Hwy and then onto the Buchanan Hwy. Is there any reason why I shouldn’t veer off the main highways to drive on these roads? That’s if they are open around end June, early July….
Any info Flinders Ranges, Yulara, Alice Springs, MacDonnell Ranges, Katherine Gorge, Kadaku, Darwin or anywhere in between would be gratefully received, even places I shouldn’t miss as I have never tried anything like this before and am a female travelling solo....

Thanking you in advance....
Westy

You’ll never, never know, if you never, never go!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 20:34

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 20:34
You want a diversion to return , go north via either the Stuart Hwy from Pt Augusta [sealed ] all the way,or go via Oodnadatta ,Todmorden Stn, to Marla ,your choice but for the return turn at 3 Ways to Mt Isa, Boulia, Birdsville, Marree , to home 6439klm up the tar and return ,6639 via Oodnadatta to Darwin and back to birdsville to Adelaide
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 164462

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 20:35

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 20:35
Westy,

The firestone tyres you talk about are a pretty good tyre, I run them for weight carrying purposes on my offroad van and they cope very well. I run 45 - 50PSI (depending on load) on the blacktop and drop them to 35 on formed dirt roads. The last time I done the Tanami (1995) it was like a good dirt road that would not have stopped your Fiat but obviously more up to date track info should be obtained before trying it solo.
Safe travels.

Regards Trevor.
AnswerID: 164463

Reply By: Hairy - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 17:06

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 17:06
Darwin has the V8 supercars on the 1/2/3 July.
Well worth a look if your into the V8"s
AnswerID: 164583

Sponsored Links