Tojo driver needs advice on a 'trol!

Submitted: Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 08:37
ThreadID: 32469 Views:1924 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Standard "mate of mine is buying....." posts wondering if you all could impart some
wisdom?

He's looking at a 2001 4.2TD Trayback Patrol with 200,000km's on the dial. Apparently in good condition - I haven't seen it myself. Asking price is $26,000 which seems maybe a bit steep with the k's and the market the way it is (but it is a Turbo D and they don't seem to be affected as much). I've only ever owned Tojo's so my knowledge on Patrols is a bit limited. Anything he should look out for in particular? Sound like a good or bad deal? How much more would you pay for coil over leaf susoension (not sure which this particular truck is)?

Any advice is appreciated
Cheers
Scoey!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PBob - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 09:06

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 09:06
I had three of these, including one of the first coil cabs when they came out.
Unless he is to cart REALLY heavy loads, definitely get the coil cab. Much better riding. The 4.2 is a good motor, although a bit sluggish and these days probably outdated compared to new diesels. Like Tojo, the cabs are too small, not a lot of room, but better seating and more comfortable than the Toyota. They are reliable, watch the front wheel bearings, keep the locknuts tight. It also sound a bit dear to me, particularly if it happens to be a leaf spring job.
AnswerID: 164524

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 09:22

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 09:22
That's the sort of advice I was after - thanks! He's not likely to be carting real heavy loads - just a few toolboxes with his plumbing gear. I reckon coils are the way to go as well. Thanks for the advice PBob!
Scoey
FollowupID: 419375

Reply By: beachbum - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 09:59

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 09:59
Have one of the 2002 model coil cabs and it is pretty good. If the nsubject vehicle is a coil cab and he wants to use it for towing or any load over 500kgs he will need to beef up the suspension. I have fitted Polyairs to mine and they have been good but since a trip (25,000Ks) last year have now gone to heavier rear springs from Dobinsons. If coil cab he MUST check around where the right rear spring tower joins the chassis for cracks as this is a fairly common problem and mine let go in Litchfield Nat park. The fix is to have a bar bolted from one tower to the other. I knew of the problem but did not really know what to look for or where for that matter. They also have a tiny filter in the injector pump, below the banjo fitting that blocks up and causes loss of power and it is not in the Nissan service manual. Some of the leaf sprung vehicles that have been worked hard (farm vehicles) have cracked the chassis in front of the front of the rear spring hanger. Please don't be put off by these comments as they are easy and relatively cheap to fix. Mine cost $400 to repair the chassis and make and fit the bar. I have every confidence in mine and am leaving for Cape York next week and will wait for the Archer river to drop if need be. This vehicle has already been on the Cape for three months, across the Great Aust bight following the old telegraph track, done the Canning and as I said, towed our van aroundthrough W.A, etc last year.
Cheers and good luck.
AnswerID: 164530

Follow Up By: Scoey (QLD) - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 10:04

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 10:04
Great advice and thanks for the tips BEachbum - I'll let him know!

Scoey!
FollowupID: 419388

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 18:11

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 18:11
Scoey,

The motor is as tuff as nails, but in that era (same as my wagon) 5th gear is not adviseable to be using when towing. The spline shaft in the box was too short and may strip if it is overloaded. This is not a dead cert, but my uncle has replaced his but as I don't use 5th much at all I have 260000km on mine without a drama. I am still on original rear brakes and everything, my praise is quite high of this motor except they tend to run hot when towing but I think everybody know about this by now.
Price guide can be found at redbook.com

Cheers Trevor.
AnswerID: 164599

Sponsored Links