Parry creek Rd

Submitted: Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 09:01
ThreadID: 32471 Views:3016 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
G'day people,

Has anyone been on the Parry Creek Rd from Wyndham to Kununarra in the last 6 months prior to the wet. We are just after any info good, bad or otherwise as we will be travelling the GRR in August/Sept this year and thought it may be an alternate route to take when we go from Wyndham to Kununarra.

Cheers.

OLLY
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David 0- Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 09:12

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 09:12
We went thru there prior to the wet and found it an interesting but relatively easy route. There are numerous places it could be difficult in the wet, and given the amount of rain up there recently, I would definitely check current conditions
AnswerID: 164525

Follow Up By: OLLY - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 13:04

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 13:04
Thanks David,

Did you camp or fish anywhere along there. I know it's only a short trip to Kununarra and Ivanhoe crossing but I'd prefer to wet a line as far from town as possible..

Olly
FollowupID: 419417

Reply By: maroni - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 13:28

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 13:28
we went thru there 2 years ago in july/august road was piece of cake(know it is along time but same time of year) noticed a few fishing and camping spots along the way we just went from kunna to wydham on day trip. have fun and enjoy
AnswerID: 164546

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 13:35

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 13:35
G'day Olly,

We did it in Sept last year. A very nice drive and a great alternative as you suggest. There ia a wonderful campsite some distance before Ivanhoe crossing (the name escapes me but travelling along this road you can't miss it), there is a sign on the left (travelling from Wyndham) and it takes you to a grassed area on the Ord River. Plenty of crocs here and a boat would be useful. This is the part of the river that most of the tour guides travel along and there are a couple of shallow rapids that require some skill. There is a drop toilet nothing else, it is a glorious place to camp. Some travellers had caravans so can be done with one.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 164547

Reply By: Member - David 0- Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 16:21

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 16:21
The name of he place escapes me as well, but there is a lovely grassy bank on the river. The sign says boat ramp I think. We fished on the river but no big successes.

Parry's Lagoon looked like it was a nice place, but obviously not free like the river.

AnswerID: 164573

Reply By: bombsquad - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 16:22

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 16:22
Have driven it fairly regularly over the last few years and most recently in January. We had some water about 500m jdeep to cross, but it has been a lot wetter since, so road conditions are difficult to predict, but it is generally pretty good. The above campsite mentioned is probably the Mambi Island boatramp and camp area. Lots of crocs etc, and a boat is handy but fish are caught from the bank.

Also worth a look at Buttons crossing, Black rock Falls and Middle Springs. There is a track that goes from Black rock to middle springs directly. Middle Springs and Black rock will probably be stagnant at that time of year, but you may get lucky. At the moment there is a hell of a lot of water going through them, but you cant get too them due to flooding.

Cheers

Andrew
AnswerID: 164574

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 18:56

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 18:56
Black rock to middle springs is interesting enough to keep distract you for a while. Blackrock falls is usually dry, but if you strike it when wet, it would be nice. I forgot about those places.

FollowupID: 419511

Reply By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 19:39

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 19:39
The road is currently closed,I reacon its pretty badly damaged at the moment,you carnt even get off the highway to look at Black rock falls.There's massive damage to sealed roads yet alone gravel.
Its quite a nice drive through from Wyndham,much more fun than driving bitumen.Even though its easy ,its still hard on road tyres.We came across a rodeo with a tyre off flat and another one going flat and only one spare last year,mind you they still had big tyre pressures.
AnswerID: 164607

Follow Up By: bombsquad - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:59

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:59
Gday Nick

A mate flew over the area last week and Valentines was about a k wide! I'll keep an eye out for your cruiser & say Gday sometime. I drive a purple-ish, dirty '98GU ST, usually with a centre console in tow, 3 roof bars, and ARB winch bar&winch, and usually have a kid or two in town when I'm doing the important jobs (Hardware shop, ARB shop etc)

Towing the Boat to Kalumburu on the 12thof June, can't believe I've been in town for 7 years and haven't been there yet. Anyone else out there in the Kimberley and see me don't be shy.

Cheers Andrew
FollowupID: 419587

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 20:55

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 20:55
Gady Andrew,yeah after 5 weeks wait we should have our Cruiser back tommorrow.Your vehicle sounds familiar.Our vehicle is same as in picture but managed to score a set of ROH royale alloys today so it will soon have them(mind you not many Tassie plated vehicles in town)
FollowupID: 419736

Follow Up By: omeomy - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 21:16

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 21:16
Hi Andrew and Nick
Any idea if it is possible to get to Mambi from Wyndham end at the moment? We normally converge there from Darwin and Melbourne for a couple of weeks fishing around Easter. Just made it last year after Ingrid. We are heading down on Saturday 8/4 and our mates from Melbourne are pretty well committed with flights etc., so we're going going anyway. Do you have any suggestions for camping in other areas near Kununurra. Skull Rock would be too busy for us and we would really like to hit the lower Ord to catch up with a couple of barra I tustled with last year.
Cheers, Mike
FollowupID: 419742

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 21:24

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 21:24
Sorry Mike carnt help you,only new here myself.I do know that most unsealed roads around Kununurra are closed and I wouldnt wanna bet that we are going to get more rain anytime,it feels like its building up to something.
FollowupID: 419747

Follow Up By: omeomy - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 21:29

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 21:29
thanks Nick. Bucketing down up here. Non stop for past 24 hours but it looks like it' just sitting over Darwin. This current monsoon looks like it will never end - crazy for this time of year.
FollowupID: 419751

Follow Up By: bombsquad - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 08:16

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 08:16
From what I last heard, from a very reliable source, Parrys creek was about 1.5m over the causeway, and swept a hire troopy off the side, so I'd say you would be lucky at easter. I will be back in town on Friday & will check. It would be worth ringing the shire as the date gets closer for updated info.

If we don't get much more rain, I'd say its about 50/50, but the ground is fully saturated now so any rainfall runs strait into the floodways a lot quicker than it did a month or so back.

If you have a boat, the Halls Creek fishing club have their fishing comp on over easter, which may be another option. Entry is about $100.00 I think, but that gets you a couple of free feeds at the Wyndham Pub - a feed there usually keeps you sustained for 24 hrs or so!

Cheers Andrew
FollowupID: 419817

Reply By: omeomy - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 08:56

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 08:56
Thanks for that up to the minute info Andrew.
Yep, I've got the Barra Bash tucked away in the back of my mind as a bit of an alternative. At least it looks as though the rain is staying away from down there, even if it is pretty cloudy.
Cheers, Mike
AnswerID: 164938

Sponsored Links