Land Rover Defender Extreme

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 00:20
ThreadID: 32497 Views:3915 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day. Just wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of any problems associated with the electronic systems on Defender Extremes (particularly earlier models 1999-2002) such as ECU, traction control and ABS, when used in the outback, on beaches and fording creeks? i.e. I'm looking at buying one (to use it for what 4WD's are meant to be used for - none of this city-driving nonsense) and my only concern is having it stop and not being startable again when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Are they still driveable if these systems fail?

Are there any field repairs that can be done to get you out of trouble? e.g.will WD-40 into the ECU get you moving again if you've managed to get it wet? Is there a "limp home" system and when does it kick-in or not kick-in?

Can these systems be removed?

Also can crank handles be retrofitted to the windows to get rid of the electric window setup?

I guess the alternative would be to get an earlier model Defender (300Tdi) but they are like hen's teeth.

Much appreciate any genuine suggestions.

Cheers

Gascoigne

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Utemad - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 07:56

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 07:56
Have a look around this site. It contains all you will ever want to know.

Landrover heaven
AnswerID: 164669

Follow Up By: Gascoigne - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 20:21

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 20:21
Thanks guys. You've all been very helpful and reassuring.

I'll continue in my quest.
FollowupID: 419728

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 18:23

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 18:23
They say that 95% of all Landrovers made are still on the road.....The other 5% made it home!
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 419923

Reply By: Beemer - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 09:21

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 09:21
G'day,

Ive recently purchased a TD5 after having owned a 300TDi Defender. The short answer is I think it's a great car. The electric windows are great. I had similar thoughts of not wanting electric windows, Now I'm pleased I have them.
ECU don't know as yet to early to consider if problems wil occur. As for the ETC, I am quite surprised and impressed with it. Although saying that I still need to get use to the car and no doubt I will have the trial and error in getting to understand it a bit more. My thoughts on the ETC are basically learn as you go.
look to the positives of the car.
Wish you luck in your pursuits

Jake 05TD5
Melb Vic

AnswerID: 164688

Reply By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 09:36

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 09:36
Your other alternative is to go Td5, but pre-XTreme. Then you don't get ETC, electric windows (!!!!??????) and ABS. I have one and will be sticking in either ARB lockers or go the full-hog and get the stronger MaxiDrive axles and lockers.

I bought a Defender because I like the simplicity - not the gizmos. Apart from the ECU being slightly velnerable in a deep water crossing (i.e. over 750mm or so) they have been reported to be reliable. The later ECU's are easier to chip, but I'm staying standard - again for reliability's sake. I'm looking at putting the ECU in a waterproof grommetted jiffy box along with the fuse/relay bax that both sit under the driver's seat just for my own peace of mind - not because it's utterly necessary.
AnswerID: 164694

Follow Up By: Steve - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 21:18

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 21:18
Just looked at your website. Nice country. Still dry eh?
FollowupID: 419743

Follow Up By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 21:49

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 21:49
Thanks Steve

Yup - it's pretty dry right now - apart from the river and creek areas of course.
FollowupID: 419759

Reply By: the real chopper - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 13:31

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 13:31
disconnecting the ETC and ABS is a simple as removeing a fuse and yep the truck is still driveable without.
AnswerID: 164732

Follow Up By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 20:44

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 20:44
hi
yes there were problems with 1999 2000 td5 the only one which you should look for is the oil leak from the electronic injectors to the computers this should be fixed up by now as it slows down the computers which operae the engine and there was a recall to fix the problem
Snailbait
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 419733

Reply By: TonyT - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:44

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:44
Ive got a new Defender TD5 90 and had the oil/injectors on wiring problem which made it run pretty rough- took it back and fixed straight away no cost as it was a recall item-(dealer has been great)- they were surprised it hapened on this new vehicle- google search for 'recalls' tells the story- i also contacted Vince Cobley -UK L/R "expert" who said that TD5's electronic were now regularily used on Sahara/Morocco etc. expeditions without problems- still, they don't have to worry about stops due to water/electrics I guess- which is my only real concern. They sure take some getting used to, but I'm much more confident with it now- I'll know more after a trip around the Kimberley shortly- (i know these vehicles are "quirky" but I can still do without some of the crap design features such as poor handbrake location/leaking doors/windows/ridiculous horn stalk etc.).
AnswerID: 165354

Sponsored Links