EXIDE Deep Cycle Batteries

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:12
ThreadID: 32499 Views:11043 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi each - Exide's web site describes their 'Deep Cycle' range as:

"Thick absorbent glass-mat separators protect active material from vibration damage and shedding by holding electrolyte securely against the plates. Combined with robust plates and high density paste Exide's Deep Cycle battery provides continuous power, deep cycling, and can be recharged from a bench charger."

1. Is this a true AGM deep cycle battery - in the same genre as Fullriver that is?
2. Has anybody got one and, if so, has it performed well for powering accessories?

Would be very grateful for any comments.

George
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 10:17

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 10:17
NO, it still has electrolyte in liquid form, so it will NOT have the characteristics of AGM batteries.

"Glass mat" separators have been used for a while - putting "absorbent" in front of it is a cunning marketing trick.

Mike
AnswerID: 164699

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 10:56

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 10:56
Thanks Mike - I suspected as much but haven't been able to get to KMart to actually clock one yet.

I suppose the Exide Orbital is the one to compare with other AGM's in that case.

George
AnswerID: 164703

Reply By: Rob Ackland - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:26

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:26
George. The deep cycles you mention are more a starting battery with a higher reserve capacity and certainly more robust than a normal car battery. But if you are looking for a true deep cycle battery, characterised by its ability to continually and regularly be flattened and recharged, then the Orbital is definately the way to go. I have been using these for several years now and never had one fail and they get abused by travel, lots of winching and generally get neglected as well. I am using one of the new Redarc smart chargers to maintain battery condition as at the moment I am seriously deficit charging both of them so if I don't look after them with the occasional tickle up they will certainly die on me at the wrong time.

The Orbital in my car has now travelled around 30,000 kms including several Simpson crossings, Hay River via Alice Springs and then down the Birsdville Track and umpteen winching demo's for training along with just looking after my 50l Weaco. It has been charged using a very simple Redarc solenoid and now gets its charge using a Piranaha system. Neither have proven a problem. The only issue, like all batteries, is to try and avoid deficit charging them.

If you are an RAA member I think you may be able to get a discount on the Orbital but you would need to check with them

I hope that helps

Rob
AnswerID: 164706

Follow Up By: AdlelaideGeorge - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:47

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:47
Many thanks Rob - I am an RAA member and will go the Orbital route. I have to admit to being a bit of a dope with regard to auto electrical matters - could you explain the 'deficit charging' reference please?

R

George
FollowupID: 419607

Follow Up By: pprass - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 12:22

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 12:22
Rob,

I see you run your winch from the second battery with a Pirhana isolator switch. I have the same set-up (same battery as well), however when I visited Pirhana a few months ago to get an Orbital battery fitted, they strongly recommended that I don't run the winch off the second battery. Their reasoning is that the winch can draw upto 400amps (?) and the isolator switch is only rated for 150 amps - end result is a fried isolator switch. I have winched a few times - even without the engine running and have not had any problems so far. You say that you do a lot of demos, so I am guessing no problems at your end either?

Peter
FollowupID: 419609

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 12:49

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 12:49
Just one thing to keep in mind. The Orbital has a capacity of about 55 A/H which just means a shorter time between recharging.

Not knocking them at all. I have one as my auxiliary battery.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 419612

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 14:27

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 14:27
Rob

The Exide batteries that are described by AbsorbENT Glass Mat are Exide's standard wet cell Deep Cycles, not the "Exide Extreme" hybrid battery.

The cylindrical cell AGMs (Orbital, Optima) are the top-end of AGMs with the greatest resistance to vibration - the cases have rounded corners. You will find you are paying more than the more common flat-plate AGM's (Odyssey, Fullriver, Remco, AbsorbedPower, Concord, Apollo).

Mike
FollowupID: 419647

Reply By: Rob Ackland - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:56

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:56
George deficit charging is where the energy taken from the battery to start the car is not fully replaced so the battery never gets back to full charge. With starting batteries this is the beginning of the end. The simplest way of describing it is that it takes around 30 minutes travelling at 60KPH to replace the energy it took to start the car. So if you only do short trips then that energy will never be replaced. When this happens you get sulphation on the plates, like plaque on your teeth and this increases the internal resistance of the battery which makes it even harder to get a charge back into it and so the decline continues . I travel 4kms to work each day and this is not enough to recharge my starting battery so I have to put it onto the charger every now and then. This problem is more apparant with the new "calcium to calcium" batteries which cannot be re-charged without a special battery charger as they need very high voltages. Whilst these issues are not normally a problem for deep cycle batteries it is always a good idea to give them a charge every now and then just to be sure of their condition. Although we did leave an Orbital off charge for three months and it still had plenty of energy left in it to start a car and keep the fridge going so they do a decent job.

I hope that helps?

Rob
AnswerID: 164712

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 15:03

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 15:03
George,

I've bought Exide Batteries from Adelaide truck and 4wd Spares on Regency Rd - always been a good price - might be worth a phone call if you're shopping for one.

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 164751

Reply By: Rob Ackland - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 16:34

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 16:34
Peter my batteries are wired in series to bring both into the circuit when I winch so both take the load on demand.

Rob
AnswerID: 164770

Sponsored Links