Cape York

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 13:11
ThreadID: 32511 Views:1570 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,
I am heading up to Cape York this week for three weeks and i want to get some advise on were i should go now that the rads are a bit wet. We have two very capable 4wd going but don't want to get fines for driving on closed roads. We want to fish mainly and wanted to get to the tip, Any advise?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 13:18

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 13:18
According to this site, many of the roads are cloded at the moment. Check under On The Road above or this link: http://www.exploroz.com/Roads/QLD.asp#FNQ
AnswerID: 164729

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 13:20

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 13:20
www.exploroz.com/Roads/QLD.asp#FNQ
0
FollowupID: 419623

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 13:21

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 13:21
Bugger. Won't post as a link. I'm sure you will work it out.
0
FollowupID: 419624

Reply By: Robusa - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 13:29

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 13:29
No worries, ill check it out. I have seen RACQ and others and found that our biggest threat is the Archer river, is there a way around it?
Thanks
AnswerID: 164731

Follow Up By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 13:38

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 13:38
No way around the Archer. Its not a bad place to sit for a few days and wait for it to drop.
0
FollowupID: 419628

Follow Up By: beachbum - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 15:09

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 15:09
The Archer is well over the crossing and has been for some time. Friday it was at 1.6 meters and yesterday was at 2 meters and still raining heavily in its headwaters. I was hoping to be there in a couple of weeks myself but !!
The phone number for the Roadhouse is 07 406032661. They leave the flood height on the answering machine out of hours. The RACQ site does not always reflect the situation up there.
0
FollowupID: 419660

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 13:39

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 13:39
Hmmm

With a major cyclone recently( Larry in FNQ) and very high average rainfall generally, road travel anywhere within the cape area for about the next four weeks will be very difficult if not impossible/prohibited (road closures). See Message 32495 for rainfall patterns.

Travel between Townsville and Cairns will probably be a little slow due to cyclone effects as well. ( Bruce Highway.....the State Government calls it a highway I dont).

If it rains heavily or we get another late cyclone well............!!!!!!!

Check with your motoring organisation web sites for road closures (RACQ in Queensland) . Go to the Qld Police Web site, get Police Station Phone numbers from there and ring the Police Stations in the area's you wish to travel seeking road conditions.

I would suggest a less rain affected fishing location at this time. I am of the opionion that it is a little early for Cape York.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 164735

Reply By: Robusa - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 13:49

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 13:49
Thanks,
We are suppost to leave Cairns Sunday, i will wait a bit and see if the rivers drop, other then that we may have to go with plan B, head to NT.
Thanks for the help.
AnswerID: 164737

Follow Up By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 14:01

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 14:01
Why not fish some of the impoundment laks further south of for that matter Lakr Tinnaro, it has some really big barra. Use live bait and deep sea tackle for a bit of fun. Min 40kg braided line and 80kg mono trace.
0
FollowupID: 419641

Reply By: Sea-Dog - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 15:05

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 15:05
When you get up to Weipa drop into the Weipa auto electrics and have a chat to Sam.. He is a nice guy with a heap of local knowledge and is only too happy to share...

He will send you in the right direction to find a few fish too!

Tell him Sea Dog sent you!

Cheers
AnswerID: 164752

Reply By: hopscotch - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 17:50

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 17:50
Suggest you try to get first hand info from either Crazydog or Rob from Cairns Offroad. These fellows would have a real good idea of what is happening. Having lived and worked in the region back a few years I would think you are too early. Take the advice and stay out of the Cape. Also check if you are thinking of heading further west. The Normanton Burketown area are experiencing their biggest wet sine 1968 with the highest flood levels for 100 years. This is not the city where it stops raining and the floods are gone. Personally I would be waiting until it was sensible to travel as the people up there have more to think about than retrieving the lost or repairing the roads further damaged in the name of Barra chasing.
You could go to Karumba via Julia Creek and Normanton since that is mostly blacktop.

Kevin J
AnswerID: 164787

Reply By: Gerhardp1 - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 19:37

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 19:37
There is another thing to consider - You might get up there if the rivers drop a bit but then it might rain more while you are there.

Then you can't get back......sounds like a plan !!!
AnswerID: 164813

Reply By: Sam from Weipa Auto Electrics - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 18:49

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 18:49
You might get through in the next few days But Ithink the archer is up I was there on the weekend and it was 1.4metres going down but I think you might be a week early to sneek up you can cross easily "IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING" at 900-1000. But this is a good time of year to go up this way but you will probably get stuck somewhere unless you're well prepared. The short answer is you need to be very experienced 4x4'ers to come up at this time of year. hope this helps cheers drop in for a beer on you're way through.
AnswerID: 165051

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)