Oziexplorer software with Navman icn520

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 05:57
ThreadID: 32536 Views:4444 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone used oziexplorer software with the Navman icn520, I purchased the software but am totaly confused with the set up, I carn't seem to get the computer and the GPS talking to eachother. Do I have to install any software on the GSP it self?

The GPS unit connects to the computer via USB, but there dosn't seem to be that option in oziexplorer!

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael Carey - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 07:17

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 07:17
I could be wrong, but I think that Oziexplorer only supports Garmin USB GPS receivers. I don't even think that Navman is Oziexplorer supported at all. In which case, it won't work. But I don't have Oziexplorer in front of me so I'm not 100% sure.
I'm not sure on how Navman units 'talk' to the computer. If there is an entry in the GPS section of the configuration window for you model Navman, then thats a start at least.
If it sets up a virtual com port over USB connection, you will have to find out what com port number has been assigned for that connection (bearing in mind that this will change if you plug it into a different USB port on the PC) and enter this into Oziexplorer in the COM section of the configuration window.
If the Navman USB driver doesn't operate as a virtual com port, you are probably out of luck.... unless Navman USB support is added in the future.
Did you check if Oziexplorer supported your GPS unit BEFORE you bought it??
AnswerID: 164914

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:26

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:26
Hello - OziExplorer also has support for Magellan USB receivers (ie Explorists).
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 419832

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 23:12

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 23:12
Ozi will work with anything that pust out NMEA strings, if the Navman will do it its a goer
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 420304

Reply By: Richard - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 07:52

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 07:52
I did run Ozi on an Ipaq PDA with a Navman GPS sleeve. Was fiddly to get them talking. From memory I had to muck around around with the port numbers.
AnswerID: 164922

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:42

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:42
I have no experience with the Navman icn520 but you first step would be to establish if the device outputs NMEA data (which is used by OziExplorer for navigation). The icn520 is not your typical "GPS" and from what I can figure is a stand alone navigation system (ie GPS aerial+mini computer+navigation software)...it may not have the function to send out data to other external devices for use by other software eg OziExplorer (which is actually not surprising). There is certainly no mention of icn520 or similar in OziE Help files or other documentation. I supsect the USB connection on the unit is used for updating maps and firmware only. I also suspect the device is Navman specific - ie no other software can be used on it.....which may have provided a solution to your problem (unlike PDAs which use a more "universal" MS Pocket PC operating system - though I dont know of any software that would help anyway).
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 164946

Reply By: Patrol22 - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 13:16

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 13:16
Dave
Send Des and Lorraine Newman an email with your query (info@oziexplorer.com), I've found them to be quite accommodating in the past. Alternatively check out their Website they may already have an answer there for you.

Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 164988

Reply By: Dave_01 - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 20:38

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 20:38
Thanks everyone for your help and thoughts.

I USE THE NAVMAN EVERYDAY FOR THE CITY DRIVING AND VERY HAPPY WITH THE UNIT.

AND I AM GOING TO USE THE SOFTWARE FOR OFF ROAD, I MIGHT HAVE TO GET ANOTHER GPS UNIT. WHAT DOES EVERYONE RECOMMEND?

THANKS
DAVE.
AnswerID: 165081

Reply By: Brad - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 11:59

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 11:59
I have a Navman 520 and it will not talk to Oziexplorer. You can up load to it ie speed camera's etc, but you can't plug it into your laptop and use it as a receiver and use Oziexplorer.
Cheers
Brad
AnswerID: 165229

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 16:09

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 16:09
My Navman 570 works fine with OziCE and was very easy to set up. Not sure if the 520 works or not.
AnswerID: 165301

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 09:39

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 09:39
The 570 is one of the Navman PiN series and runs on a PDA type device with a Pocket PC operating system (and hence will run OziCE). The 520 is one of the Navman iCN series devices - it does not use Pocket PC operating system and hence you can not use OziCE on it.
Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 420369

Sponsored Links