4WD tax breaks in danger

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 08:28
ThreadID: 32539 Views:2758 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Click the link to read the rest, Looks like the buffoons are at it again

TAX breaks on fuel-guzzling four-wheel-drives would be scrapped and spent on eco-friendly cars under a state push to slash national fuel consumption.

The Queensland Government is calling for import tariff subsidies on four-wheel-drives to be redirected to hybrid-electric vehicles, such as Toyota's Prius.

In a submission to a Senate inquiry on Australia's future oil and fuel needs, it argues more needs to be done to encourage the take-up of fuel-efficient vehicles. "In light of rising fuel demand and fuel prices, any further review of tariff policy needs to consider whether low-emission, fuel-efficient vehicles such as hybrid-electric vehicles should receive favourable tariff, and other tax treatment," the state's submission said.

Tax breaks for four-wheel-drives, which take about $2000 off the purchase price, were introduced to benefit farmers. But Queensland's submission says the subsidy is being exploited by increasing numbers of urban motorists who never venture outside city limits.

"The majority of four-wheel-drives, which account for more than 20 per cent of the passenger vehicle market, are not being used for off-road purposes yet they receive a tariff advantage over more fuel-efficient passenger vehicles."

Sales of four-wheel-drives have been rising for the past decade, with more than 180,000 sold nationally last year. A recent study found most owners were now women aged 35-49.

Site Link

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member No 1- Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 08:43

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 08:43
"Sales of four-wheel-drives have been rising for the past decade, with more than 180,000 sold nationally last year. A recent study found most owners were now women aged 35-49."

thats all those bloody bmw X3's & X5's
AnswerID: 164936

Follow Up By: hl - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:04

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:04
Hi,

I don't understand why there is all that fuss about hybrid cars. Small turbo diesels like the ones used in Vdubs and Citroens sh...t all over the Prius in terms of fuel consumption and maintenance costs. I could understand the excitement if you could get 2 or 3/100K consumption, but the best people seem to get is about 5-7l/100K and that is right in turbo diesel territory.
And when you consider larger cars, my Ford Falcon uses up to 60% more fuel around town that my 3.0TD Patrol, and that's a fact!

Cheers
FollowupID: 419828

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:06

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:06
This is a reply in the newspaper on the subject, this bloke must have a problem in life or he's jealious ,Maybe he is right in some perspective but why should we all be penalised over a few people who have no idea about country life.
-------------------------------------------------
Subject: 4WD tax breaks in danger
Comment:
This is a wonderful idea, and makes complete sense. Let's hope Labor follows this through. The majority of people who own a 4WD don't even know how to use them, let alone need them. It is so annoying to see people driving around the city with these ridiculous fashion accessories. Almost as annoying as the kids who drive the wee cars with modified exhausts to make them louder, and who attach sneezers to their engines.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 419829

Follow Up By: hl - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:12

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:12
and again,
To those interested.
There is an interesting article in this month's Silicon Chip mag about electronically controlled diesel engines. It features Bosch common rail systems and the new BMW 3l Turbo diesel, which does 200kw and 560Nm..
That will make those guys saying the 3.0 Nissan diesel is stressed at a bit more that half that power think again!
Cheers

FollowupID: 419831

Follow Up By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:10

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:10
If you are ever involved in an accident with a hybrid vehicle - get out of there fast.

The toxicity level of the damaged batteries found in a Prius wreck is apparently something you don't want to investigate first hand.
FollowupID: 419850

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 12:01

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 12:01
And Discos and breadboxs.. not only BmW's!

FWIW DILLIGAF, I'll never waste money on a new 4wd - you just watch the other fools waste their $70k, and flog it few yrs later for $40k!

Slow news again, the games are over (THANK bleep ), the GP is gone, so what else is there - Howards Team at work BRILLIANTLY directign people away from IR.. GENIUS!
FollowupID: 419858

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 13:41

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 13:41
Why do we pay more for diesel than petrol... This is why, who remembers the fantastic Democrats ex leader called Meg Lees ,stupid damn woman knows stuff all about what she pressed for as part of a deal for the enviroment , just to keep some boofhead in the Greens happy, thats why
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 419868

Follow Up By: conman - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 18:29

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 18:29
is this a labor initiative. they have to get into power first lol. good chance it will never happen. go johnny go go go...
FollowupID: 419928

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:17

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:17
Something else to keep in mind if you are thinking of buying a Prius -

Sure, you will save on fuel costs by only using 5L/100km ( ! for a tiny car) but after a few years you will have to buy a new traction battery or it just WON'T GO - and that will cost you many thousands of dollars - the petrol cost savings suddenly vanish !

Mike
AnswerID: 164942

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:31

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:31
So at 4.4L/100 and $40k on the road against a Hyundai Getz at 6.1L/100 and $14k on the road... Then put the battery pack on top plus how are the batteries disposed of and will you have to pay for that as well, I don't see the Prius being too much of a hit... The fuel savings aren't that great to start with...

FollowupID: 419835

Reply By: Rigor - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:02

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:02
Maybe the MK11 Prius will have a turbo diesel engine , then it may be a better proposition! As stated above the numbers simply don't add up , no doubt some will get a warm fuzzy feeling thinking they are being enviromentaly aware as they have belived the marketing.

Dave L.
AnswerID: 164961

Reply By: ev700 - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:17

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:17
We found that even Falcon was unsuitable for our family of five, including teenagers, because the hump in the floor for the second row of seats makes travelling a torture for all. The fashion of a low sloping roofline doesn't help.

So we have a LC TD, which is more economical than a Falcon anyhow. The other options (people movers) did not give enough cargo space when all are on board; they do not have LC reliability and robusrness and they certainly do not have the clearance to take us where we hoiliday.

What really annoys me is that people with smaller families and smaller cars expect us to do the ferrying of children for sporting teams and so on. They wouldn't even take one additional player.

Governments get a lot of advice from DINK bureaucrats who choose to drive limos at taxpayers expense. There is a 30 something couple near us who work in the same department of the Qld Public service, both 'qualify' for the 6.0 litre automatice Holden Caprice (which both have taken up) and both drive in and out at the same times to go to work.

Again, when we drive to the Gold Coast it is amazing how many Qld State Public Servants take advantage of overnight home garaging perks and live at the coast.

Federal public servants - there is senior executive who used to be head of the regional office of a department, who has been in Sydney for some years (with the same department) but maintains his family in Brisbane and has a permanent carpark and taxpayer funded car in the Brisbane office (both used by his wife who works in private enterprise). However this senior executive still qualifies for the Caprice and carpark in his permanent location. Go figure!

So much for bureaucrats and their commitment to fuel (and resource) economy. Yet these are the people who give advice to government. Doesn't help the credibility of senior bureaucrats when they choose, at our expense, 6.0litre petrol guzzlers with bottomless fuel cards in lieu of a four banger or (shudder, shudder) public transport.
AnswerID: 164963

Reply By: FZJ 80 - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 20:04

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 20:04
Unfortunately responsible countries do need to reduce oil consumption and penalties on high consumption vehicles will be the start of the campaign. I believe that this is quite likely to be my last 4wd and believe that in 5 or 6yrs i will have to step down to an economical car. Also have looked at small Diesels, such as Polo and Golf, i read that Hyundai is soon to release the Getz diesel, may be worth looking into. As for the BMW X5 and X3 diesels, i drive both regularly, the X5 is fantastic to drive and the X3 is an absolute rocket 160kw/480nm at 1750RPM. The X3 is virtually a supercar, not many could beat one off the mark or climbing a mountain range and both return brilliant fuel economy.
I have been following the Peak oil debate and personally know a manager of an oil platform and what he tells me is very scary. Australia looks like making an effort to reduce oil consumption , but who knows we are in the hands of politicians!!
The biggest concern is China and India, 2 countries that have for a long time not used a great deal of oil per capita, now with the rapidly growing manufacturing industries in both countries, demand is rapidly rising. How long will supply remain?
Enjoy your touring now, at current fuel costs it is not easy, but this could be just the tip of the iceberg.

Greg
AnswerID: 165068

Sponsored Links