Not another GPS question !

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 10:40
ThreadID: 32541 Views:1924 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Sorry guys, I searched the archives but didn't see exactly what I wanted. Hopefully someone will be kind enough to tell me.
I have a Meridian Color (Aust Edition says the sticker) unopened in the box in front of me. It belongs to a charity I support, and they need me to "download the maps included and any others I can find for free :))
Now I need to know is there anything else I am going to need that isn't in the box ? And exactly how do I download from the hopefully included cd ?
The instructions are inside I guess, but your experience could save me a lot of mucking around.
Thanks in anticipation
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 10:53

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 10:53
If it is a standard install system really all you need to do is whck the cd into the drive and it should automatically launch and offer a series of option like install software, install drivers etc.

You also need to be sure that you have the correct port for the GPS as well, either USB or Com is usual.

Once you have installed the software and drivers it is simply a matter of plugging the GPS into the puter and it should recognise it and install it automatically.

Just follow instructions on the screen. make sure you read the book or quick install pamphlet that most of em seem to hand out these days.
AnswerID: 164959

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:08

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:08
Thanks Notso, appreciate it. I run an older setup, and wasn't sure exactly what they'd handed me...they usually manage to get a few things out of me at once, and I was concentrating on the others.
I have taken a peek inside and read a little ...and decided thats a job for tonight...if the power stays on ! Went off twice last night, 3 hours at a time. Not happy, Footy!
The sods want it back on Friday along with a couple of other things. Hence the call for help. If I needed to get anything extra then todays the day, but it looks like its all included in the box.
FollowupID: 419849

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 12:11

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 12:11
Hello - the only maps that the Magellan Meridians come with standard is the "basemap" - it is already installed on unit ...so no need to do anything else - just turn GPS on. The CD that comes with the GPS is just a digital copy of the entire instruction book. The Basemap is pretty basic and only shows major cities and towns and main highways.

If you want more detailed maps ie street level - you will need to get either the DiscoverAus CD or the more current (and expensive) DiscoverAus Topo SD card (it is as yet not available on CD). I am assuming you don’t have the DiscoverAus CD ...or do you? If you do in fact have it - have a look at this for some instructions on use
www.gpsoz.com.au/dast_faq.htm
First step if you have DiscoverAus is to get an SD card and preferably an SD card reader - load the maps directly to card….not to GPS with card loaded as it is a slower process.

There are as far as I know no "free" maps (of much use) for Meridians. It is possible to make your own but that is more for enthusiasts with their own data to play with and a number of other software programs (and spare time).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 164979

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:13

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:13
In breach of every evidently misleading assurance they've made to their customers, and passed on by their dealers, at every 4wd show or retailer I've seen them represented at, Next Destination no longer plan to release DA Topo on CD.

Their promises usually went along the lines that the DA Topo maps would be released on SD card first ($399 ish I think) and then the CD would follow early this year. They also suggested that customers buying the SD Card release would get an upgrade price on the CD release rather than pay full retail.

Now apparently there will be no CD at all - ever.

Dave
FollowupID: 419981

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 13:11

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 13:11
Footy ,
You could put a nice poem on there for them .
Willie .
AnswerID: 164986

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 13:40

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 13:40
I sat him down in the black chair
Coffee he said at last
I sat him down in the black chair
The cup of coffee was passed
I've got the aerials for you
I gave the whips to him
I'd done just what he'd asked me
The jobs list was looking thin
But
Can you open the box and do it
Download the map to the thing
I looked at the box and shuddered
I didnt know where to begin
So I turned to the folks on the forum
I felt so incredably thick
But lucky there were quite forgiving
The answers came in really quick
In essence they told me about it
Twas easy and quick as could be
But the answers they gave really said
A lot more than that to me
They said:
Read the &*((*& book first !!!!
:)))))))))
FollowupID: 419867

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 13:53

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 13:53
Footy ,
The official poet of ExplorOz .
Thanks ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 419872

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 15:03

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 15:03
Yep, sometimes I feel positively effluent :))
FollowupID: 419875

Follow Up By: Old Scalyback & denny - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 16:48

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 16:48
goodday footy
if i remember correctly you have an old 310 ? maybe you could arrange a swap so you can upgrade????????????
lololol

steve
FollowupID: 419899

Sponsored Links