Destinator 3... Anyone tried it

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 18:21
ThreadID: 32556 Views:2115 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
At my local software exchange is a set of second hand Destinator 3 discs for $60.... Anyone ever used this software, will it run on a laptop or is it only for Navman type machines?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Gomax (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 19:30

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 19:30
Destinator is for PDA devices with GPS.

V3 is 2 versions back from current Destinator PN.

However there are 2 converter programs that will convert to operate on Laptops

Map Monkey and Freedrive. Google is your friend.

Make sure the licence is included the the Destinator software.

Money back return guarantee would be the go as many variants of equipment about.

Personally prefer TomTom for urban and Oziexplorer for rural use.

Yer on the right track.... ;->

AnswerID: 165061

Reply By: signman - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:15

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:15
I used Destinator 3 extensively last month while touring around Tassie. Having not been there before- it was all new to me. Destinator handled the job well navigating from town to town and thru unfamiliar towns. Some roundabouts had been changed to controlled intersections- but thats not the programs fault. All in all good fun to use- and definately a steal at $60. We use Oziexplorer when 'off the beaten track".
AnswerID: 165182

Reply By: Emo - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:52

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:52
I use Destinator 3.0.25 with an Ipaq HX4700 and I reckon that it's great. It will run on a PDA or a laptop if you have an interface program. I'm always amazed at the amount of detail that it has. I used it out in Gembrook forest a couple of weeks ago and it had every track but one in it.
AnswerID: 165194

Reply By: t0me (WA) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 10:12

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 10:12
You can make it run on a PC using the two bits of software mentioned but you must purchase other software from Destinator (the SDK) and there's some trouble with doing that apparently (cos its for developers technically) but if you google for mapmonkey you'll find the site which talks about that. If you're planning to run it on a pc then all you're really buying for the $60 is the maps (which would be out of date, which you're unlikely to be able to update from the web cos you don't have the license for it - licenses are NOT transferrable).
If you're running it on a Pocket PC (navmans are this type of thang) then its really good. The maps outside the metro area are much better in Destinator than on TomTom IMO though the TomTom interface is excellent.
AnswerID: 165198

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 17:07

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 17:07
Went back to buy it today, take it to the counter & the MORON serving me tells me that it has the wrong price on it....It is in fact $560.... Oh yeah says I, I can buy the whole kit & kaboodle for $555 so put it back on the shelf for me....Oh where? Well Powerhouse have it, Harvey Normal & even Supercheap have it. Oh.....I'll check.....
So while the guy is checking I read the package & discover that the maps included are for the USA so decide that I won't bother... Guy gets off the phone & tries to tell me that even though I can buy a complete set up for $555 that this is superior. I explain that I wanted it for Australian use, he tells me that it will work fine in Australia... I say read the package, he does yet still gives me some bull bleep about it working OK here... Do you have updated Australian Maps? This wanker then tells me they are available free if you are an NRMA member...I say that I have maps in my car will they work & he says yes of course they will, I ask how I get the maps into the Laptop & wait for this, wait for it... He tells me that the laptops have a reader slot... just put the map into it...By this time I'm looking around for Allan Funt cause I'm thinking this guy should be doing a candid camera stunt... I turned to walk away after expressing my dislike of idiots... & he tries then to tell me as a special I can have it for $60, I decline but assure him should I win a trip to the US I will be back....
FollowupID: 420167

Sponsored Links