By George I thought I had it

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 20:42
ThreadID: 32561 Views:1879 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Seemed simple enough. PostID: 32541
After all the great help, I embarked.
Mem card in, check. GPS up and running, check. Discover Aus installed on puter, check. Connected , check.
But what's this ? I have to pick an area and export a tiny file (16mb) to the GPS ?
I can't just export the whole thing ? And the mem card is 128meg. How come it will only export 16meg ?
Hey this is messy and frustrating !
Am I going down the right track here (or do I need a GPS ..ha..ha)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:04

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:04
Hi Jim,

You are on the right track. The bigger the region file the more processing the GPS has to do to draw a map which in all likelihood you are using a very small portion of.

Your detail map file can actually consist of 4 16Mb regions, if my memory serves me correctly. There's a good layout on GPSOz (www.gpsoz.com.au) for breaking Australia up into 16Mb chunks.

The more densely populated the state the more 16Mb chunks needed to cover it. Qld is a bit of a bugger for some reason.

It's quicker to export it straight to a card reader or to the HDD and then copy it to the SD in a card reader than via the serial cable to the GPS which is ....YAWN.... slow.

You only have to do it once if you do it right.

Dave
AnswerID: 165104

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:07

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:07
Thanks Dave. Breaking Oz into 16meg chunks. Now that sounds a bit ...umm...LOL
I'll give it a go.
FollowupID: 419979

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 00:32

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 00:32
Hello - It is possible to modify the map.ini file and create bigger files..I use two ~24mb files for WA. It has no effect on update speed etc as suggested (that was more a GPS firmware problem I think) - but I wouldnt go much bigger. I did post on this before ..a while ago..if need be I can repeat instructions.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 420007

Reply By: geordie4x4 - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 01:57

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 01:57
Did you know that you can now get Discover Aus Topo pre loaded on a card.

This has the full Australia set of maps and 4x4 tracks including topography already loaded onto a 128meg SD card you just stick the one card in and open the state that you need at a time. I have just used it for a trip from WA to SA, VIC and TAS. It has been great.

This is a lot less frustrating than the slow process of marking a region, converting it and hours of loading to the card.

The only down side is that there is no CD available yet (with topography), so you can not load it on your computer to do trip planning etc. I still use the old version for that. I have also found that in some areas the topo lines are slightly distracting from seeing the track.

This new version also has a heap more locations for public facilities, parks etc. etc. I found that in the city there is so many marks popping up that it is very distracting and difficult to see the road maps. I have had to go into the menu and turn off the display options for most of the marks for toilets, churches, monuments, schools, etc. etc. It even has some handy marks such as fuel stations, shopping centres, restaurants and caravan parks.

Apart from my few little gripes, it is a vast improvement on the old Discover Aus.

I cant find a product code or other info on the box, it is just called
DiscoverAus Streets & Tracks Topo.
There is also a web site and info email address that might help.

www.nextdestination.com.au
info@nextdestination.com.au
good luck
Geordie
AnswerID: 165136

Follow Up By: pprass - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 11:15

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 11:15
Geordie,

Is the whole of Aus Topo on just a 128mb card? I thought that it would be at least greater than 256mb which is what the standard version of DAST needs to fit all of Aus on. With the extra detail of Topo I thought 512mb would be what is needed.

Peter
FollowupID: 420049

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 12:02

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 12:02
Yes it is on a 512mb card
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 420067

Follow Up By: geordie4x4 - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 14:28

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 14:28
Yes sorry in my hurry to install the new topo maps I did not look at the size of the card and probably remembered that it was a 128 card that I took out.

The only problem that I can see now is that I can't run the topo maps from my new laptop. Firstly the maps are only on the card not a CD and secondly the new laptop does not have a serial port.

Is there any way to connect Magellan GPS to the laptop via USB2 port or does it have to run from a serial port.
FollowupID: 420116

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 14:40

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 14:40
GPS DB9 (9-Pin) PC plug to USB adapter-2USB

Site Link

or

www.gpsoz.com.au/usb.htm

Will of course not solve the problem of no PC version of DiscoverAusTopo - contact Magellan and complain - it is the only way to get message across

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 420124

Follow Up By: pprass - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:58

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:58
Yep - as The Explorer said - I have seen the adaptor working on a friends PC, which converted the serial end of the GPS cable into the USB port of the PC. It was seamless!
FollowupID: 420279

Sponsored Links