100 Series IFS Front Diff

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:16
ThreadID: 32568 Views:4091 Replies:9 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Last Saturday, we were conducting a basic 4WD driving course in some sandhills on private property when one of the participants had his front diff decide to chit it's self. OK so it happens to lots of them like the 3.0 litre Nissans blowing donks. The guy rang the RAA and requested a Tilt tray be sent out to recover the vehicle as he didn't want to risk voiding the warranty by driving the vehicle any further than he had to. RAA guy comes out and says we can't tow a vehicle over 2 tonne and RAA contractor doesn't have a Tilt Tray truck. All he could do is get out the jumper leads and jump start the car. That's not the problem we said, we need a truck. I can arrange a truck to come out but weekend call out rate is $250.00. The truck is owned by the same company's crash repair division.
My question is " If the RAA (plus membership) can't recover a vehicle over 2 tonne and it's not on a designated road, what's the point of having RAA or equivilant membership?"
None that I can think of.

Just before everyone starts going off about the front diffs letting go, it wasn't doing a reverse snatch or reversing backwards up a hill. I know of a mechanic at Port Augusta who has replaced around 8 diffs in the last 2 years and that doesn't include mine.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Marquis - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:33

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:33
Sounds like cost cutting by the RAA contractor.

My previous vehicle (Rodeo '00) was towed twice, once near urbenville NSW (middle of nowhere) and once from whim creek WA - both times loaded over 2ton. (Towed due to gearbox failure/problems travelling on good roads)
AnswerID: 165113

Follow Up By: Moose - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 13:19

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 13:19
Urbenville is not in the "middle of nowehere".
FollowupID: 420090

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:33

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:33
Well there has been a recall on the lower control arms, maybe there wil be one for blown front diffs and another for fans thru radiators, all very common problems up this way. My car has a new diff, new lower control arrms and a new radiator, if only I was so lucky at the lotto. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 165114

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:38

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:38
Golly Rob ... I have had two out of the three problems. Got a new radiator, Welded up and reinforced control arms, but my front diffs are still intact. Do you think front lockers make any difference to the strength of the diffs - I wouldn't have a clue how it all works really and not sure which bit breaks.
Andrew
FollowupID: 419987

Follow Up By: Wild Man From Borneo - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:38

Rob,

Has Toyota came around to the idea that there is a fault with there lower control arm? What support are they offering?

Cheers,
Geoff.
FollowupID: 419988

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:43

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:43
There was a post about a voluntary recall a few days ago.
Dave
FollowupID: 419989

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:51

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:51
My control arms were replaced by Toyota when they relpaced the front diff under warranty 106k klms. They told me the lower ball joints were worn but I was out on tour in another vehicle at the time so didn't see them. My radiator was damaged when I drove thru shallow surface water out near Dunbar Station. I was on tour on the OTL with 6 punters when my diff let go, stripped teeth off the crown wheel. I dropped the front prop bleep and diconnected the drive plates to drive 800k home in rear wheel drive. This is my second and last 100 Series. Toyota has turned them into a soft cock truck unfortunately. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 419991

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:59

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:59

This is my recall letter - maybe - can't remember how to link photos. I went back and had a look at my crack song post 21158 - gee I was pst!
FollowupID: 419994

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 23:00

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 23:00
or is this it..

FollowupID: 419995

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 08:35

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 08:35
Quote:......................" and had a look at my crack".................

Andrew, if I ask really nicely, do you think the Toyota bloke would have a look at MY crack too????????? hahahahahahaha
FollowupID: 420026

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:38

Mr Lexic it sounds sorta like a diff breaking plague.

Reckon your RAA guy is on a good thing too. He must look forward to you guys learning to drive your Yotas.

Hope you and your missus are well. Don't book the houseboat property just yet thanks, that you sent by email. A smaller one could be in order though. LOL
AnswerID: 165115

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:47

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 22:47
Don't know whether you have seen the burnt out houseboat by the pump, but there is a couple of plastic 44's still there and I have some planks that I could lash to it. Will that be big enough. LOL Perhaps one for you and one for Heather. Was a post on here about some nice looking wooden paddles on here yesterday.
FollowupID: 419990

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 08:54

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 08:54
We haven't made that kayaking exploratory trip that we had discussed yet mate. That is the best use of carbon fibre, glass or wooden paddels I reckon.

Think I would give the small houseboat a miss for now as I don't seem to have had anything organised since I got mixed up with this games stuff. It took as much to organise all that as a five month trip away.
FollowupID: 420028

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 07:58

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 07:58
Heard of the same problem in Qld with the RACQ.
Some service people do not have the capacity to tow vehicles over 2 tonnes.

With all sorts of vehicles having GVMs over 2 tonnes (like a commodore, falcon), it could be interesting on the side of the road. Leave the gear, we will tow the car?

New Territory's are over 2 tonnes, how many others can you name?
Mercs, BMW X5s.
AnswerID: 165159

Reply By: traveller2 - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 08:15

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 08:15
Check your auto club membership, here in NSW the NRMA also has the same out.
Although to their credit they have changed the wording.
It used to say 2.5t max, now it says
"Towing will be provided for all types of motor
vehicles which do not exceed 2.5 tonnes GVM (and
in some cases 4WD Vehicles which do exceed 2.5
tonnes GVM) provided that the Tow can be made
with Standard Towing Equipment."
The next para also gives them an out
"In Country Areas in particular,
limited types of tow trucks may be available. Should
Special Towing Equipment be required (such as
power winches, extended cables, or a four-wheeldrive
towing vehicle) you must pay the Towing
provider commercial rates at the time of service."
I have premium care foir the other benefits such as accomodation etc in case of probs.
AnswerID: 165161

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 08:42

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 08:42
G'day Des,

Sorry to hear about your mates diff........

As for your question about whether there is any reason to remain an RAA member.... 2 I can think of;

1. If you ever need a jump start they'll be there in a jiffy.....no worries.
2. Free maps.

Reckon that just about covers it I'd say.........;-)))

Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 165167

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 13:07

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 13:07
Bill, I'm not a member and on this call, I don't think I will ever become one.
Hopefully, Yota will pick up the tab on the recovery costs when they agree to carry out the repairs under warranty. They haven't done this yet.
Maybe an Ocka will be the vehicle of choice in the future. Just need some anti rolling protection built in. LOL
FollowupID: 420085

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:13

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:13
Several weeks ago I rang the RACQ "extra care" people and asked where their coverage didn't extend to.
"Any island". (Forgot to ask about Tasmania:)
What about stranded in the middle of the Gibson Desert ?
"If there's a way of helping you get back to safety, then we'll do it. We may have to get your vehicle later."
Does this apply to any track ?
"Any gazetted road or "track" ..."
Anywhere ?
"Within Australia but not an island" (Hmm...how many islands here can I drive on ? Quite a few."
"Write down our number so that you can get straight through in case of an emergency"
Now I guess that any recovery is at my expense (OUCH) but if well and truly in the poo, its nice to know that my motoring organisation will get me out of there, or will they ? I wonder......
I should have got it in writing, shouldn't I .........
AnswerID: 165179

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 11:39

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 11:39
G'day Footy,

Reckon you really never know unless you need the service. Asked the same question of Nissan about their 24 hour road side assistance and pretty much got the same answer - any gazetted road. pretty sure that Fraser beach driving is on a gazette road so I presume it clashes with the "island" clause somewhere. I have an acquiantance that speaks fairly highly of the RACQ service when they blew their clutch towing someone in the back lots with no where to go - they got them to go to a homestead where a tow truck towed them to a near town for a new clutch. They were happy that they also had a sat phone to make the call!

Kind regards
FollowupID: 420059

Reply By: Member - Robert G (WA) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 11:42

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 11:42
Guys, thanks to threads such as these highlighting the 100series woes, my next company car is a GU (had choice between LC or Nissan). I have had GU's before and besides the 2.8 engine I found them to be fine. My personal 4wd is an LC80 and again due to the 100series woes I decided to spend money on my existing bus and get aim for another 7-10 years out of it.

As a matter of interest, I heard that the front diifs in the 100series are exactly the same as what is in the Hilux. If this is true (can someone verify or otherwise?), then it explains the problems and makes me wonder what direction Toyota are taking. Perhaps some latte sipping knob swallower from the lexus design team was transferred to the mighty LC team and is making his presence felt????????
AnswerID: 165223

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 13:14

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 13:14
Robert, Toyota explained to me that the front diff is a 100 series front diff. Coincidently,(LOL) it is the same diff that is installed in a Hilux.
Problem seems to arise when the front diff is loaded up in reverse but this wasn't the apparant cause in this case. we were just driving around some damp sand hills from 4-6 metres high.
FollowupID: 420088

Follow Up By: Member - Robert G (WA) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 13:33

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 13:33
Des, that sure is a big coincidence huh ? lol I think they will need to rethink some changes to the mighty LC very soon or risk losing a lot of loyalty. That diff failure sounds very bad indeed.

Cheers
Rob G
FollowupID: 420091

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:20

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:20
I have a friend who has had a V6 commodore in his hilux for years, and is qualified to do the engineering certificate for his own vehicle.

He had the gearbox out to replace gears which twist from too much power/torque of the V6, but he finds it cheaper to replace gears every couple of years than to put in an auto or some other stronger manual gearbox.

He told me the 100 series front crown wheel & pinion are the same as Corolla. :)

Oh what a feeling. That probably means it's the same in the Hilux since somebody above said the Hilux and LC100 are the same diff.

One guy broke his front LC100 diff at the test course at the Wandin show in 2005 just going up a steepish but short hill.
FollowupID: 420213

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 16:28

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 16:28
Des,

RAA have just changed their levels of cover and looks like they've significantly upped their premiums.

For 4wds, they suggest only the top "Premium" cover (cost of $145 per year) which includes "heavy vehicle" towing up to a limit of $220 per year.

It strikes me that we're on our own these days - may as well quit the memberships.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 165306

Sponsored Links